Who here is USGBC LEED Certified?

PureStang

Established Member
Seeing as there are many engineers on this website, who here is a LEED GA or LEED AP?

I just applied for one of their online courses in order to qualify to sit for the GA exam. Figured that this would be a nice resume booster as well (and a few jobs I'm looking at, being a LEED GA or AP is a plus).

ThatsBAD06

Thread Killer
Established Member
I'm a LEED Green Associate... technically LEED GA isn't correct. I'm not an engineer but had relevant experience (GREEN designation from the National Association of Realtors)

The test can get quite technical and my advice is to not even bother with the study guide offered by the USGBC, it is virtually worthless as it just explains in brief the categories and doesn't get into specific credits.

I used LEED Test Preparation - LEED Practice Tests, LEED Training Classes, GBCI LEED CE Hours | GBES to get an online study guide, and found that all their resources were extremely helpful. In fact, I passed my first time taking the test with a score of 190/200!

*I feel it is important to note that I am a bit frustrated with the accreditation, as it is virtually worthless by itself. It demonstrates that you are familiar with the LEED process and should be able to help with LEED projects, but won't help you find a job or work on a LEED project because only LEED AP's can earn a point for a project. BUT if you want to continue on and become a LEED AP, then you'd have take the LEED Green Associate exam anyway, so you might as well do it to knock it out and get a better foundation to build on.

Ask away if you have anymore questions..

Fordx4

Established Member
In my opinion LEED is a waste of money. After studying it in school and then implementing it into three medical office buildings and one hospital it is not a good financial move. So much additional money is put into gaining additional LEED points to qualify for a higher certification.

I could give many examples from just my last project alone but Ill stick to one of favorites aspects of LEED which is the appeals process. You can pay $500 per credit which in your opinion you were valid in getting. The design will then be reviewed again and another opinion by the USGBC will be given. Even if they do agree with you that they were wrong the first time by not giving you the credit they still keep the money. Genius in my opinion from a business stand point.

LEED is a great money scheme and I applaud the people that made it up and convinced others they need such a thing. While you may think I am against the whole "green initiative" I am not. I am all for creating a building with energy saving designs in mind and having a return on my investment for said designs. What I am against is giving money to an organization to give me a pat on the back for doing something "green".

jmk97GT

Established Member
In my opinion LEED is a waste of money. After studying it in school and then implementing it into three medical office buildings and one hospital it is not a good financial move. So much additional money is put into gaining additional LEED points to qualify for a higher certification.

I could give many examples from just my last project alone but Ill stick to one of favorites aspects of LEED which is the appeals process. You can pay $500 per credit which in your opinion you were valid in getting. The design will then be reviewed again and another opinion by the USGBC will be given. Even if they do agree with you that they were wrong the first time by not giving you the credit they still keep the money. Genius in my opinion from a business stand point.

LEED is a great money scheme and I applaud the people that made it up and convinced others they need such a thing. While you may think I am against the whole "green initiative" I am not. I am all for creating a building with energy saving designs in mind and having a return on my investment for said designs. What I am against is giving money to an organization to give me a pat on the back for doing something "green".

+1. The idea of constructing buildings more sustainably is a good one. The system is kind of a joke though when you can gain points by installing bike racks and showers in your facility even if no one ever uses them. The owners will go the cheapest route to gain the certification. They do it for the image it creates by being certified, not to save the planet.

R1Lello

Established Member
..........but high profile companys pay more for that sq. footage and corporately, it's the right thing to do. I agree with lots of what you're saying but what i say is true. I manage 1.2 million sq.ft with one tenant being Canada's biggest so believe me, the big players pay and want it. We own/manage millions of square ft of LEED gold and silver buildings

Fordx4

Established Member
..........but high profile companys pay more for that sq. footage and corporately, it's the right thing to do. I agree with lots of what you're saying but what i say is true. I manage 1.2 million sq.ft with one tenant being Canada's biggest so believe me, the big players pay and want it. We own/manage millions of square ft of LEED gold and silver buildings

Some people have more money than sense. LEED proves that.

R1Lello

Established Member
Some people have more money than sense. LEED proves that.

Wow........those are the companys you want to get hired by and make a great salary with great benefits. Maybe some prefer flipping burgers

You'd make an excellent building manager....not for long .....when the building is empty though

Last edited:

Fordx4

Established Member
Wow........those are the companys you want to get hired by and make a great salary with great benefits. Maybe some prefer flipping burgers

You'd make an excellent building manager....not for long .....when the building is empty though

I am an Owners representative and Project Manager for construction projects. One of my previous buildings went LEED Silver last week. I know a thing or two about LEED.

ThatsBAD06

Thread Killer
Established Member
When done correctly the cost of a LEED building shouldn't exceed more than 1% of the cost of conventional construction.

PureStang

Established Member
thanks for the response guy..i know that a lot of what LEED preaches should be common sense...but in this economy, I think becoming a LEED GA would be a good resume booster, even if i don't use it.

jmk97GT

Established Member

Calm down bro ..... .. .. ....... it's like you're taking this personally or something.

The people ripping on LEED were not referring to the monetary gain of consultants who cater to owners interested in implementing LEED. We were suggesting that it really doesn't do a great job making buildings "green".

EDIT: And to stay on topic, I think OP is making a good decision for pursuing this as it will benefit him personally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread