Who here is a pilot?

only a gt

Established Member
Any SVTP members fly for a living? I got out of the Marines in August 2010, and I've been struggling to figure out what to do ever since. I've always wanted to be a F18 or Cobra pilot, but couldn't because of my terrible eyesight. In the back of my mind I've been kinda hoping that by the time I got a degree they will start allowing people that have gotten Lasik or PRK to fly, but as I get older my window of opportunity for that is shrinking. I'm contemplating quitting conventional college after this semester so that I can apply the remainder of my G.I. Bill benefits to becoming a helicopter pilot. If there are any commercial pilots here, especially helicopter pilots, I'd love to hear about it. :beer:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
My buddy flies rotary for the Army and he has had PRK.

Also, unless you're flying intercontinental, the pay as an airline pilot can be pretty shitty.

only a gt

Established Member
I should have been more specific, I was only referring to Marine aviation. I don't have any interest in joining another branch.

I'm not looking to become a commercial airline pilot either, because that seems like driving a bus with wings to me. I think being a helo pilot would be much more interesting and challenging.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
We do have a member that is a Helo pilot. Can't think of his name, but he had an all black TT Cobra which he sold and picked up a C6 Vette.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I should have been more specific, I was only referring to Marine aviation. I don't have any interest in joining another branch.

I'm not looking to become a commercial airline pilot either, because that seems like driving a bus with wings to me. I think being a helo pilot would be much more interesting and challenging.

I am a pilot holding commerical, multi, and instrument ratings.

One of my close friends is the commander of MAG 41 out of Dallas and is an F-18 pilot.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Flyin is a usmc LMx pilot. Either would be able to help you out. Flyin's brother is also a retired Navy pilot, who is also on this forum A1Pilot iirc.

Edit: Edited because I'm a dumb ass and write too fast for my brain at times.

Last edited:

only a gt

Established Member
I am a pilot holding commerical, multi, and instrument ratings.

One of my close friends is the commander of MAG 41 out of Dallas and is an F-18 pilot.

Who do you fly for?

It was always my dream to be a F-18 pilot flying from a carrier, but my vision is 20/400 uncorrected so that will never happen.

Correct;)

I'd send CobraMac a PM and see what he has to say. Below is a thread he started:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-helicopter-pilot-most-amazing-job-world.html

Thanks for the link, that looks incredible. I'm pretty excited about this, I can't believe it took me this long to decide to go for it.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Both Flyin and Cobra Mac are usmc LMx pilots. Either would be able to help you out. Flyin's brother is also a retired Navy pilot, who is also on this forum.

I don't think CobraMac has ever been in the military, I believe he is a helo CFI in California.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Flyin is flying the newer Hueys. Although I think he's flying a desk more often now. His dad is the retired pilot. His brother is retired enlisted Navy. Flyin is a nice guy and will answer any questions you have.

Blown 89

Established Member
My flight instructor said the best thing you can do is fly the big birds so that you're eligible to fly for the airlines out of the service. Everyone wants to be a fighter pilot but apparently it adds extra steps to transferring into the civilian world.

phils04gt

Established Member
I am currently in flight school and I know plenty of people who have had PRK. They were given waivers for it. If you are prior service, you have until you are 29 to earn your commission for a pilot slot(Navy).

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Who do you fly for?

It was always my dream to be a F-18 pilot flying from a carrier, but my vision is 20/400 uncorrected so that will never happen.

I fly for myself. Occassionally, I will fly some Part 135 flights if Im going that way.

only a gt

Established Member
I am currently in flight school and I know plenty of people who have had PRK. They were given waivers for it. If you are prior service, you have until you are 29 to earn your commission for a pilot slot(Navy).

That's interesting, because every recruitrer I have spoken with told me that PRK cannot be waived (Marines). I thought Marine and Naval aviation had nearly identical standards, I will have to look into this a bit more. Thank you for your input.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
For your info look into using your GI bill fir your Pilot certifications. I believe it will only pay for flight school if you currently have a private pilot certificate. So it will help you with instrument flight and your commercial certs. Unfortunatly with rotary wing the cost is substantially different than fixed.

TaraFirma

Established Member
I fly Blackhawks in the Army. I wouldn't trust anything a recruiter told you. Talk directly to an aviation proponent rep. to see what is waiverable in the USMC. PRK and like surgeries are allowed in Army aviation, and you don't need a degree to fly either.

bnd3672

Established Member
I fly for the Air Force. If you decide to branch out and consider other options, I can answer any Air Force questions you have. I'm sure PRK is accepted and fairly certain LASIK is now accepted, although there is a period you have to wait after surgery before you can be medically qualified to fly. It can be a problem if age is a factor for you (you must start your flight training by your 30th birthday)

Users who are viewing this thread