Who here has the MTX Thunderform sub box? And general sound system upgrades...

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to find subs that fit this truck without loosing leg room. Stopped at Best Buy today and even the little Kicker 10" sub box I lost about 4" of tilt with the seat (I like to have my seats tilted until the top touches or is about a half inch away from touching the back of the cab). And that little kicker "looked" like it would do the trick but actually didn't (I was surprised when we put it in at Best Buy how much seat tilt you lost). Does the Thunderform allow the seats to be tilted back all the way to the cab? I hate sitting straight up and down and like my leg room. Can somebody post some pics or better yet, some video of their Thunderform enclosures in their truck and how far back the seat can be put back and tilted? Thanks.

Alternatively, would I be better off just getting the best indoor and rear speakers money can buy to replace the stock speakers and amplify them and forget leg room losing sub enclosures? I just installed a brand new Pioneer 3300BT and really hate not having some more bottom end. The Pioneer is leaps and bounds better sounding than the stock head unit, actually quite impressed with the sound of the stock speakers with this head unit but need a little more bass. A custom shop recommended the 8" Bazooka powered sub - comments?

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I run a Bazooka tube myself and just dialed the bass out of the factory speakers so they didn't distort. I think mines an 8'' self amplified unit. I really don't drive the truck enough to remember. I just used the little strap that came with it and strapped it to the little hook below the back of the center console. The only problem doing this is you have to unstrap it to either raise or lower the console. Mine's always down since it's just me and the wife, so no real problems. I didn't want hole drilled in the back or floor of mine for it to be mounted. It sounds good for me, but my hearings not great nor am I a avid audiophile person. As long as it don't distort or rattle stuff loose, I fine with it.

Last edited:

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I run a Bazooka tube myself and just dialed the bass out of the factory speakers so they didn't distort. I think mines an 8'' self amplified unit. I really don't drive the truck enough to remember. I just used the little strap that came with it and strapped it to the little hook below the back of the center console. The only problem doing this is you have to unstrap it to either raise or lower the console. Mine's always down since it's just me and the wife, so no real problems. I didn't want hole drilled in the back or floor of mine for it to be mounted. It sounds good for me, but my hearings not great nor am I a avid audiophile person. As long as it don't distort or rattle stuff loose, I fine with it.

Can you still tilt the top of the seats flush with the back of the cab? I really like to lean/recline back, heh.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Check out musicmooseaudio.com for a good box that can fit behind the seat with little loss in leg room.

Lightning%20005.jpg

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Yes I'm about 5'9 and I can still move the seat back more. You just can't move the console back and forth with out loosening it from the seat bottom. I'll see if I can get picks.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Check out musicmooseaudio.com for a good box that can fit behind the seat with little loss in leg room.

Lightning%20005.jpg

I had one, it was really nice but I had to cut it down to get my seat back further (it was poking the back of my seat) and finally tossed it after fighting with it for about a year. I found the molded plastic case the MTX system comes in without the subs or amp. Now I have much more room and I'm using the same subs. Only hickup is I had to move the amp. The sound is the same. I'll snap a pic here after a bit.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
I had one, it was really nice but I had to cut it down to get my seat back further (it was poking the back of my seat) and finally tossed it after fighting with it for about a year. I found the molded plastic case the MTX system comes in without the subs or amp. Now I have much more room and I'm using the same subs. Only hickup is I had to move the amp. The sound is the same. I'll snap a pic here after a bit.

You must be a tall dude. :beer:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
You must be a tall dude. :beer:

Just tall enough lol.
I liked the moose box, but I got too worried that the top corners of the mm box would push/cut into the back of my seat. I'm a 1%er too, since I grew up around the SCCA, after a few hard turns I learned that box needed help to stay stationary. After fabricating brackets that held it to the back of the cab (using existing bolts in the truck) and cutting 2+ inches from it, I was not happy with what was left of it.

Here are a few crappy pics of the MTX style box...
2011-08-14195306_edit0.gif

Here is how close the seat is when upright. Hard to tell but its less than 2in.
2011-08-14195722.gif

Last edited:

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Just tall enough lol.
I liked the moose box, but I got too worried that the top corners of the mm box would push/cut into the back of my seat. I'm a 1%er too, since I grew up around the SCCA, after a few hard turns I learned that box needed help to stay stationary. After fabricating brackets that held it to the back of the cab (using existing bolts in the truck) and cutting 2+ inches from it, I was not happy with what was left of it.

Here are a few crappy pics of the MTX style box...
2011-08-14195306_edit0.gif

Here is how close the seat is when upright. Hard to tell but its less than 2in.
2011-08-14195722.gif

Can you zoom out and snap a couple pics so that I can see how far the seats can be pushed and tilted back? This is just a random picture I already have online that was for the detailing forum, but this is about where I like to have my seats adjusted....

Lightning-Seats.jpg

Actually looking at my pic, I like my seat even further tilted back than what my pic shows of the passenger seat to the point it's almost touching the rear of the cab. But I suppose I could put the seats forward a couple inches, but tilted/reclined back is more important.

Last edited:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll try to get some pictures tonight. It's hard to tell but the passenger seat is all the way back, and the seat/headrest can be tilted all the way into the back window. I don't normaly even have the seat that far back, but even with the seat as far back as it can go the subs still don't touch the seat no matter how I moved it. Forward or back, reclined upright. You might be able to touch it with the power drivers seat using some odd, uncomfortable combination but I haven't.

N A Rush

Established Member
It sounds like you position your seat the same way I do. I had the thunderform box but sold it to another member so I could go the custom route.

With the thunderform you won't lose ANY legroom nor any tilt in the seat with the box.

Additionally, I would recommend JL Audio 10W3V2-D2 subs for the thunder form. They are the best sounding speaker that will fit and match the internal volume of the box. I would further recommend purchasing some ring from ebay to help space the sub out a lil more.

Hope that helps!

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
066.gif
067.gif
068.gif
It's a 6'' Bazooka Tube, makes plenty enough sound for me. If I need to remove it just a quick disconnect of the wires and loosen the strap. It moves back and forth with the passenger side of the seats, when strapped to the hook.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
It sounds like you position your seat the same way I do. I had the thunderform box but sold it to another member so I could go the custom route.

With the thunderform you won't lose ANY legroom nor any tilt in the seat with the box.

Additionally, I would recommend JL Audio 10W3V2-D2 subs for the thunder form. They are the best sounding speaker that will fit and match the internal volume of the box. I would further recommend purchasing some ring from ebay to help space the sub out a lil more.

Hope that helps!

Ok, this sounds like my best route. JL audio is highly regarded in the home theater community. I assume you no longer use the rear speakers with the Thunderform box (like say, does the enclosure cover the stock rear speakers?). Also, did you use the MTX built in amp or did you use a unloaded box and use your own amp? If so, where was it located so I can pass the notes onto whatever install shop I use.

Also, thanks for the pics of the Bazooka tube. I'll keep that idea on the back burner if plans change or not enough funds arise to go with the better JL/Thunderform/Amp kit....

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
2011-08-14195828.gif

Crappy pic, but the best I can get in the garage.

Your rear speakers are not covered, only the lower section between the plastic pannels on the cabs corners is covered (the carpeted area on the back of the cab, below the lip halfway up).
I got mine empty (no subs/ no amp) and ended up mounting the amp in secure location in the bed since it was too big to fit under either seat (the bed is like a big trunk now with the gaylords cover and the bedrug.) It's tucked up out of the way, mounted to the bracket the cover uses, but still gets airflow and stays dry. Leaves a nice clean oem look in the cab (no wires) and you don't even notice the amp when you open the bed unless you really look or it's dark and you see it's lights.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread