who has went from 99/01 to 03/04

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
CobraGuy99 said:
No, I am not dreaming. I ran with 03/04s all day that were stock when I had LTs and full exhaust. Even with stock gears. Up to 110 I was at their door. Then they would walk away and if I had gears, my weight plus the extra power from the LTs would have kept me there 'till 140. I promise.

Sure, as soon as you start putting mods on either car there will be differences. Gears, full exhaust, tires and a good tune...I am telling you, these are not slow cars.

Just look at sonic 4.6, that man with his 4.56s and sticky tires is running allover EVERYONE. N/A no less. He is a prime example of what an N/A warmed over New Edge can do.

Stock for stock, the 03/04 is the clear winner. But modded, its up in the air IMHO. 03/04s are slugs. Sorry if I don't bow down to the Terminator but I think they are WAY overrated and don't have any character any more.

So wait, your 290rwhp/295rwtq 3.27 geared cobra ran with a 365rwhp/360rwtq 03 cobra with 355 gears? Sorry man, im calling bs for days. He's got the better power/weight ratio, and better gearing. Find a guy who can drive.

Sonic beat some people, but at the end of the day, he ran stockish evos, sti's, ls1's and other things. Nothing overally impressive. His car may run low 13s, high 12s. good, but nothing impressive these days.

I don't see how adding a supercharger/intercooler, 6 speed, and a stronger irs takes away character.

I think you are a bit jealous.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
quadcammer said:
So wait, your 290rwhp/295rwtq 3.27 geared cobra ran with a 365rwhp/360rwtq 03 cobra with 355 gears? Sorry man, im calling bs for days. He's got the better power/weight ratio, and better gearing. Find a guy who can drive.

Sonic beat some people, but at the end of the day, he ran stockish evos, sti's, ls1's and other things. Nothing overally impressive. His car may run low 13s, high 12s. good, but nothing impressive these days.

I don't see how adding a supercharger/intercooler, 6 speed, and a stronger irs takes away character.

Great points.

Last edited:

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
quadcammer said:

Personally, I think you are the one who is a bit jealous.

No, as I said in my post I had LTs and while I did not have it dynoed, it was probably pushing closer to 320/320 with o/r X and Maggies. Yes, I ran exactly with him from 0 to 110, just like my post said. And once again, I said that he started to walk away from that point!!!

03/04s are heavy pigs, are they not? I am probably 300-350 lbs lighter overall and the limitations of my car were the gears...not power to weight. Call B.S. all you want but I know what I ran against and what happened.

Sonic is probably running quite a bit better than low 13s. His car is plain sick and he knows how to drive. I would say his car is capable of mid 12s and most pullied 03/04 owners can't even do that...but that is the driver mod that is lacking there.

I don't think we should be beating on each other like this but lets give New Edges and even SN95s a fair rub. Just because everyone and their mother gets off on a Terminator, that doesn't give them license to talk shit about its N/A brothers.

The bottom line is that Ford did a better job properly setting up the 03/04 Cobras than they did with the 96-01 Cobras. If they were geared properly, they wouldn't have the rep that they have and be overshadowed by the "touched by the hand of God" Terminator. No? Hell, Ford kept the Machs geared the same as the 03/04s because they know how much of a strong runner they are with 4.10s and 4.30s. You wouldn't want your flagship being beaten by the lowly Mach, would you?

In the end, we all drive and love stangs. Lets keep kicking ass out there! :rockon:

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Personally I rather have a LIGHT N/A car thats "slow"
compared to a Heavy Blown car thats faster

If i had a choice i rather have a stroked heads/cam 99-01 motor and rev that bitch out to 8,000 RPMs at 3400 Lbs.

Quadcammer

Established Member
CobraGuy99 said:
Personally, I think you are the one who is a bit jealous.

No, as I said in my post I had LTs and while I did not have it dynoed, it was probably pushing closer to 320/320 with o/r X and Maggies. Yes, I ran exactly with him from 0 to 110, just like my post said. And once again, I said that he started to walk away from that point!!!

03/04s are heavy pigs, are they not? I am probably 300-350 lbs lighter overall and the limitations of my car were the gears...not power to weight. Call B.S. all you want but I know what I ran against and what happened.

Sonic is probably running quite a bit better than low 13s. His car is plain sick and he knows how to drive. I would say his car is capable of mid 12s and most pullied 03/04 owners can't even do that...but that is the driver mod that is lacking there.

I don't think we should be beating on each other like this but lets give New Edges and even SN95s a fair rub. Just because everyone and their mother gets off on a Terminator, that doesn't give them license to talk shit about its N/A brothers.

The bottom line is that Ford did a better job properly setting up the 03/04 Cobras than they did with the 96-01 Cobras. If they were geared properly, they wouldn't have the rep that they have and be overshadowed by the "touched by the hand of God" Terminator. No? Hell, Ford kept the Machs geared the same as the 03/04s because they know how much of a strong runner they are with 4.10s and 4.30s. You wouldn't want your flagship being beaten by the lowly Mach, would you?

In the end, we all drive and love stangs. Lets keep kicking ass out there! :rockon:

What am I jealous of?

Lets go paragraph by paragraph

You think just an o/r pipe and mufflers is bringing your car from an average of 275rwhp to 320rwhp. Forgive my skepticism, but 45rwhp from those mods ain't happening. If you have other mods, you might want to mention them.

An 03 coupe weighs about 3700lbs. Thats about 250-300lbs heavier than a stock 99/01 coupe. However, that would account for about 25-30bhp, not rwhp.

You had a worse power to weight, worse gearing, and worse torque through the band. Perhaps you won due to wheelspin on his part.

I really doubt that sonic is running mid 12s. No offense to sonic, but a few street races with mild cars that around mid to low 13s doesn't mean much. The only real way to tell is if he went to the track. Id guestimate that he would run about a 13.2 at 105 or so.

Mach 1s were geared the way they were due to CAFE levels, just like all mustangs. Ford isn't gonna put 4.30 gears in a 3650 geared mach 1. It ain't about 1/4 times, its about gas mileage, and selling gas guzzling pick ups.

Im not talking shit about new edge cars. However, in stock form they aren't quite impressive. They are hard to launch, and difficult to get the power down with. Hence we got guys running high 13s low 14s stock.

With mods they gain power fairly well, but you still need some way to get the power down.

Quadcammer

Established Member
SVTsupremecy said:
Personally I rather have a LIGHT N/A car thats "slow"
compared to a Heavy Blown car thats faster

If i had a choice i rather have a stroked heads/cam 99-01 motor and rev that bitch out to 8,000 RPMs at 3400 Lbs.

rotfl? Id rather have a middle weight car that makes 650rwhp/650rwtq than a car thats a bit lighter making 410rwhp/420rwtq, but thats me.

id love to see your rods after your stroked 4.6 hits 8000rpm.

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
quadcammer said:
What am I jealous of?

Lets go paragraph by paragraph

You think just an o/r pipe and mufflers is bringing your car from an average of 275rwhp to 320rwhp. Forgive my skepticism, but 45rwhp from those mods ain't happening. If you have other mods, you might want to mention them.

An 03 coupe weighs about 3700lbs. Thats about 250-300lbs heavier than a stock 99/01 coupe. However, that would account for about 25-30bhp, not rwhp.

You had a worse power to weight, worse gearing, and worse torque through the band. Perhaps you won due to wheelspin on his part.

I really doubt that sonic is running mid 12s. No offense to sonic, but a few street races with mild cars that around mid to low 13s doesn't mean much. The only real way to tell is if he went to the track. Id guestimate that he would run about a 13.2 at 105 or so.

Mach 1s were geared the way they were due to CAFE levels, just like all mustangs. Ford isn't gonna put 4.30 gears in a 3650 geared mach 1. It ain't about 1/4 times, its about gas mileage, and selling gas guzzling pick ups.

Im not talking shit about new edge cars. However, in stock form they aren't quite impressive. They are hard to launch, and difficult to get the power down with. Hence we got guys running high 13s low 14s stock.

With mods they gain power fairly well, but you still need some way to get the power down.

What part of LONG TUBE HEADERS don't you understand??? Jesus man! That is TWO posts you have ignored now. I know I ran 13.6 with a 2.2 60' at 105 in the middle of the heat soaked summer with bald nittos. Clearly you have ZERO experience with a properly geared N/A car.

The gas mileage comment is only part of the equation and honestly a misnomer. Most geared Cobras are getting the same mileage if not better mileage than stock. Proof? I think VirtualSVT stated he got 28 MPG running OVER 100 MPH on several long trips he took. These motors are more efficient the higher they turn. The EPA may have boxed in Ford a bit on the gearing but believe me, if they wanted to, they easily could have offered the 4.10s...stock. They just didn't. My personal opinion, unsubstantiated, is that Ford had more 3.55s and 3.27s than they knew what to do with so they tossed them in the afformentioned cars.

You have got a lot of good information to offer a lot of the time Oliver and your contributions to this board are very much appreciated, but seriously, don't pretend you are the king of New Edge Cobras because clearly your car is no longer a New Edge. At least in my eyes. Don't you have a stick axle??? I can't remember. I just think you are one of those guys who saw the Terminator, saw your New Edge couldn't compete and slapped a blower on the car and put no effort to find another way to make it fast.

Quadcammer

Established Member
CobraGuy99 said:

ok, even with long tube headers, 45 rwhp is pushing it. Either way, you are still short about 40rwhp, but enough about that.

2. I had a 4.30 gear'ed NA cobra for 3.5 years

3. The epa calculates the gas mileage a touch differently than regular members, and and nobody mentioned city mileage. The bottom line is that steeper gears will give you worse mileage around time. ford cares about .2 mpg, so yes a small difference matters.

4. I don't race people on the street or the track, so I don't really care whether my car could keep up with an 03 or anything else for that matter.

5. I have a stick axle, but what does that have to do with anything.

Listen, im not trying to shit on your car or any other new edge, but I have one, I've had it for 6 years, I've had a ton of combinations, etc.

6. a 13.6, even with a 2.2 60 is not gonna get the job done against a well done stock terminator.

key

Established Member
I sold my '99 and bought a DSG '03 two weeks ago. The difference in the cars is AMAZING. In every aspect (except braking), the '03 is better than my '99. Seats are more comforable, has better handling (the '99 even had Kenny Brown springs), the ride is better, 6 speed, stronger IRS, 6-disc CD changer, better wheels, tons of power, etc...

I went with the '03 for two main reasons:
1. I was afraid to spend the cash to have the '99 built up to '03 standards. If you do that you are risking a TON of money, because when/if you have to sell the '99 you'll get almost none of that mod-money back. "Yeah, but I'll never sell my car after I mod it like that" - you never know what will happen. You don't have to worry about that as much with the '03.

2. The '99 would've needed a built engine to attain the power levels the '03 is capable of. I'm not 100% comfortable with that since the car is a daily driver.

I'm VERY happy with the choice I made. The only thing I don't like about it is that I have a car payment again, but when I put the money from the '99 towards the '03, the payment will only last a little over 2 years. If anything ever happened with my job or something I could sell the '03 and buy a beater with the extra money.

My '99 made 293RWHP, and after riding in the '03 (chip, 2.93 pulley, intake, magnaflow x-pipe & catback, 460-470RWHP), the '99 feels like a Kia Rio in terms of power.

dew.man

Established Member
I don't want to get into a flame war on which is better, but would like to share my experience.

I had an 01 with CAI, catback, and 4.10s along with some other "goodies", and had a blast with it. When the 03s came out, I was a bit jealous of the blower and (call me silly) luminecent gauges, but not enough to jump ship. Then after a few years of ownership, an opporunity presented itself to sell the car for more than I had into it, and I couldn't pass it up.

Jumping forward to this spring, I picked up an 03 with less than 10K miles on it. I put less than 2K in mods on it, and now put down a healthy 450rwhp in a mostly stock, reliable daily driver.

I thought about holding out for a GT500, but even setting the cost issue aside, can't seem to get over my dislike of the interior (don't get me wrong in that I love the s197 exterior, but the inside makes me want to barf). And as much as I've heard some people complain about the quality of the fit and finish of the sn95 cars, I for one, haven't had any problems, and think they're great. So now I own of the last sn95 cobras ever produced (not to mention that they made less than 20K with a factory supercharger and only 154 in my color combination - ever).

And now for the validation: I'm getting on the freeway this past Monday, and there's this Suzuki croch-rocket in front of me on the on ramp. Nowdays I'm a HD guy, so I couldn't tell you what model/size it was (gotta believe it was just a 600), but since I've owned a few variaties of those things in the past (ranging from a Ninja 250 to a FZR1000), I'm pretty familiar with the hurting they can put on just about any car. So we get off the ramp and on to the freeway rolling about 40, and the guys just pins the throttle back. And at the same time, something strange happened, and I lost control of my right foot as it dropped to the floor. And lo and behold, I start gaining on this guy! Not hard, but edging up on him none the less. All the way up to about 120 when I finally let off.

So where's the validation and what does this mean? Nothing! But it sure put a BIG smile on my face (as well as drew some interesting comments from my wife), and I don't think I would have even kept up in my 01!

As for the economy, I believe that the housing market is on the tail end of the recession from which the nation is slowly recovering. It's all good!

key

Established Member
Also the responses you get from people when you take people for a ride in an '03 are really great. Usually goes like this:

- They are silent
- You hit the gas
- They are still silent because they're trying to catch their breath
- A couple seconds go by
- They realize that the car is going to keep pulling and pulling
- They start reaching everywhere for something to hold on to
- They start going "AAAAAHHHHHH" when they realize they can't get ahold of anything
- You shift while watching their head bounce off the headrest
- They realize that you'll never let off the gas
- They go "OK THAT'S ENOUGH!!"
- You let off and slow down
- They start laughing and saying "WOW" a lot

EVERYONE who I have taken for a ride has been super impressed. One guy said he thinks I have "the devil in that car".

Quadcammer

Established Member
key said:
Also the responses you get from people when you take people for a ride in an '03 are really great. Usually goes like this:

- They are silent
- You hit the gas
- They are still silent because they're trying to catch their breath
- A couple seconds go by
- They realize that the car is going to keep pulling and pulling
- They start reaching everywhere for something to hold on to
- They start going "AAAAAHHHHHH" when they realize they can't get ahold of anything
- You shift while watching their head bounce off the headrest
- They realize that you'll never let off the gas
- They go "OK THAT'S ENOUGH!!"
- You let off and slow down
- They start laughing and saying "WOW" a lot

EVERYONE who I have taken for a ride has been super impressed. One guy said he thinks I have "the devil in that car".

If your car is anywhere near stock, you MUST be exaggerating.

I've ridden in many 03 cobras, and while they pulled well, I was never reaching for things to grab on to.

key

Established Member
You have to remember these aren't people who have 670RWHP cars like you. One guy used to have a 5.0, and the other currently has a early '90s 5.0. The other guys have normal cars (civic, F150, etc...). They ALL have reached for things to hold on to.

Quadcammer

Established Member
key said:
You have to remember these aren't people who have 670RWHP cars like you. One guy used to have a 5.0, and the other currently has a early '90s 5.0. The other guys have normal cars (civic, F150, etc...). They ALL have reached for things to hold on to.

I've given rides to people with honda civics, jeeps, a tahoe, etc etc. They practically fall asleep.

I went through the gears HARD with my gf in the car (first time she was in the car), and she goes "Thats it"

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
quadcammer said:
I've given rides to people with honda civics, jeeps, a tahoe, etc etc. They practically fall asleep.

I went through the gears HARD with my gf in the car (first time she was in the car), and she goes "Thats it"

I would have pulled over and opened her door for her at that point. I hate when women act cool about things. My wife has done the same thing.

key

Established Member
quadcammer said:

Maybe your car doesn't feel fast? I don't know, but everyone has been impressed with the '03. Sorry to hear nobody is impressed with yours.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
key said:
Maybe your car doesn't feel fast? I don't know, but everyone has been impressed with the '03. Sorry to hear nobody is impressed with yours.

I agree with you. I've never been in an 03. But I know that when I had my brother drive me around in my 01, i realized just how powerful it was. This whole "you're not fast until you're in the 11's" shit is ridiculous. Yeah there are plenty of cars on the road that will destroy an 01 or a stock 03, but that doesn't mean our cars are "Weak".

key

Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
I agree with you. I've never been in an 03. But I know that when I had my brother drive me around in my 01, i realized just how powerful it was. This whole "you're not fast until you're in the 11's" shit is ridiculous. Yeah there are plenty of cars on the road that will destroy an 01 or a stock 03, but that doesn't mean our cars are "Weak".

Funny thing is the previous owner of my '03 ran an 11.7 in it, so it is pretty fast.. I can't see a normal person not being impressed by the speed when riding in an 11 second car. It might have something to do with the Torque curve I guess, quadcammer makes 200 more RWHP, but his torque isn't that much more than mine.

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
I would have pulled over and opened her door for her at that point. I hate when women act cool about things. My wife has done the same thing.

did you pull over and open the door for your wife when she did that?

Users who are viewing this thread