Who has replaced clutch packs in their rear end

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
So i started to put in my gears last night. I have 4.10s and the new carbon fiber clutch packs. we have the gears clutches and spring installed butthere is not enough clearance between the groove in the axle and the spring to install the c clips for the axles. They come with shims installed (thin ones) So can i just remove these shims or is something wrong? I would think that the shims used for the clutch packs need to match left and right is this true? That will move the side gears out a few thousandths and they will not mesh the same as they did before which is why i dont want to do it w/o finding out a definite answer.

Also ford specs call for .008 - .012 inch backlash and reusing all the stock shims we had .013 Should i re shim it to get it lower??

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Yes but not for 15 min like i read today only a few but that wouldnt change the thickness would it. Only how hard they will grab when i first start driving.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
since they have sat now when i start working on it again I will re soak them for a while .

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
yea ok but i have the new packs and everything so its a little late but uhh thanks?

maybe next time

tt54l32v

Established Member
i think you can take off the abs sensor behind the backing plate and slide the axle all the way in the spring shouldnt be in the way

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
So the axle is hitting the sensor?? hmm i dont remember that ill have to take a look tomorrow.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
i think you can take off the abs sensor behind the backing plate and slide the axle all the way in the spring shouldnt be in the way

Brilliant! that was exactly the problem.

Now just trying to get the pinion depth set. Stock shim was .027 which was too much then i went to .020 (stupid me) Which was not enough so now i have .024 ready to try tomorrow night.

Im going to be a ford rear end expert by the time i'm done w/ this.

Ive helped on these before but this is my first one solo and its taking a while 6-7 hours now but i know its done right, I saved $200 and have learned along the way. just wish i had a pinion depth tool. I just have to assemble it use marking compound and look at the pattern.

FunkyBoss

Established Member
I'm suprised you got the c-clips removed without backing the ABS sensor out a bit. Did you measure the clutch paks and shims after removing them? You should install the new ones with the same thickness, maybe a little bit thicker.

.013 backlash would be fine, the guy who installed the gears in my GT set it to .015 and it didn't whine..........much! I spent about an hour setting mine to .010 on the Cobra, and they still whine. Thats what I get for buying used gears though!

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
yea they c clips came out......eventually.

my clutch packs are the same thickness as the old ones.

When it was all said and done I had to re shim the carrier anyhow so i got my backlash down to .009

my pattern finally looked good and so the gears are in. I cant hear any whine but i havnt had the car past 60 ish (speedo gear isnt in yet.)

now 500 or so miles of gently driving for me, this is going to be the hardest part.

Users who are viewing this thread