Who has installed the MRT Hood Strut Kit?

cobra4v04

Established Member
My other post in the Interior/Exterior section went way off topic.
I want to hear from those that have installed the MRT kit on their cars.

I'm concerned with how the fender bracket doesn't sit flat on the intended mounting surface. The mounting surface of the fender has a lip that interferes with the bracket. I bought slightly longer bolts that will allow me to get the bolt started since the bracket is cocked up at an angle but I don't want to crank the bolts down yet as it looks like putting pressure on the lip will distort the fender.

My very rudimentary MS Paint skills aside, the picture shows the bracket sitting on the mounting surface and contacting the lip. The green line in the duplicate photo shows the flat mounting position that I would think was intended by MRT, the yellow line shows how the bracket sits in conflict with the lip.

Anyone else done an install with these same style brackets? Is this how they are supposed to mount? The instructions that came with the kit were a photocopy that was extremely dark and made the illustrations useless.

07592806-MRTFenderBracket.jpg

SVT04

Established Member
I just went out to the garage and took a look under my hood. I have the CDC kit and as far as I can see MRT did one of two things. They got their hands on a CDC kit (CDC made them first) and copied it ...or they actually get them from CDC and sell them. They are virtually identical.

My brackets are sitting exactly like yours slightly up on the lip and I have them bolted down with the stock fender bolt. No problem ,you are making it far more complicated than it needs to be. When you tighten the brackets down you will find they sit and work just fine. Just be sure that when you install everything that you close the hood SLOWLY to be sure everything clears before you do a final tightening of the brackets.

As well make sure you remove the paint from the hood bolts before you try to remove them to install the hood brackets. A dremel with a wire brush wheel works good....I didn't and broke one of the hood mounting studs...
I think the MRT and CDC kits are the nicest that are available. They fit well and are compact also. Mine works beautifully and looks good too.It was sure nice to ditch the hood prop.:burnout:

Last edited:

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
They are the balls! I had mine painted and clear coated. Look factory! It was necessary to purchase longer fender bolts though. Give them A+:D

IMG_0427.jpg

docs03

Established Member
Brackets look fine the way you have them. As mentioned above, take the paint off the nuts that hold the hood on. I broke one of the studs as well and had to take the hood off the car to re tap a new hole and put a new stud in.

The brackets work real nice IMO

doc

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I have the CDC ones as well and they are the same. Had the same issue but I cant remember what I did. They do sit kinda funny. I also had an issue with one of the hood mounting nuts. I thought it was going to snap so I hit it with a small torch and it loosened right up nice. You def have to touch up the studs with matching paint or it looks like sh...

MikeW

Established Member
I am gonna order a set and paint them up like NHRA CObra did. His look Awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread