Who has gone from ProCal to intake/tune?

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
If you never get into the high Rpms why did you even switch your tunes ?? I'm sure you could get your tune tailored to your driving habits but most on here are after peak hp. It's nice to have that mid range torque feel but even though it doesn't feel different if you went up against any AED, BBR, Lund tuned car with your procal tuner you would see the difference real quick. Sounds like you don't race or go to the track so I would definetly go to the setup that makes you happy.

04nccobra

Established Member
So I just went out for a "spirited" drive. Here is what I found.

First, I have to say that I am a pretty conservative driver. I rarely ever get into the higher RPM's, and if I do it's rare. I think that was the problem here. I did some redline pulls in 2nd and 3rd, since 1st was useless. I have to say I never noticed the call pullng so hard in the peak RPMs. It actually was pretty cool.

That being said, I never really go to the peak RPMs. I guess that's where my initial disappointment came from. With the procal, I was so used to low-end grunt that when I switched over, I wasn't used to the throttle response on the new tune being different. But that can easily be changed.

One thing I did notice, is how loud the intake is. Like no joke loud. It's actually almost as loud as my Boss 302 side exhaust, and I don't like that. I don't want it drowning out my side pipes.

This was an informative adventure, but I think I am going to call it. Going to return my car to the way it was, set up as a comfortable DD. Gonna list the intake and tune as a combo. I just can't see the point (for me) of having the race parts on a car which will never see the track.

I appreciate all your guys' help. Sorry to bother.

Thank you for your review, I drive much the same as you. I installed the Pro-Cal along with a dry AFE drop in filter and I love the added grunt the car now has lower in the RPMs, which is where 90% of my driving it done. The car now feels like a muscle car should. To be honest I was extremely surprised how well this performed. I was expecting a small bump in perf. I am lucky so far with 93-octane I have no pinging at all.

I'm curious as to those running the aftermarket CAI with the Pro-Cal tune, any issues?

86merc

Established Member
I'm curious as to those running the aftermarket CAI with the Pro-Cal tune, any issues?

When I purchased my car it was stock with only a Roush "no tune" CAI on it. When I added my ProCal the dealer dyno'd and data logged the car before and after. There were no issues. If you use a "no tune" cold air kit you should be fine.

There are several cars in the 11's in the quarter mile with a ProCal. And it does add a lot of torque as well as making the throttle response a lot more snappy. It is a great addition for someone worried about a warranty. Plus you get a tool to change tire height / ring and pinion and read/clear codes. Not bad for the money.

ridenfish39

Established Member
When I purchased my car it was stock with only a Roush "no tune" CAI on it. When I added my ProCal the dealer dyno'd and data logged the car before and after. There were no issues. If you use a "no tune" cold air kit you should be fine.

There are several cars in the 11's in the quarter mile with a ProCal. And it does add a lot of torque as well as making the throttle response a lot more snappy. It is a great addition for someone worried about a warranty. Plus you get a tool to change tire height / ring and pinion and read/clear codes. Not bad for the money.

Do .you have the before and after numbers? Just curious....

86merc

Established Member
Do .you have the before and after numbers? Just curious....

Yes. But they had issues and couldn't give me a base and best run layover. It picked up nice down low. Peak numbers did not show great gains. We had the "Octane adjust" set to "on" as we heard some pinging on the first pull as it had our crappy winter blend gas in the tank. Although the data logs did not show any knock sensor readings.

Stock the car made 358 rwhp & 355 rwtq. With the ProCal it made 363 rwhp & 356 rwtq.

Mid range torque did improve nicely at 20-30 ft/lbs through most of the rpm band. Horsepower was just about 5-8 rwhp through out most of the rpm range. Tapering off up top until peak.

My best 1/4 mile ET has been matched with the stock tune and the ProCal tune. I think mainly because the gains over 5,000 RPM (Where I launch on slicks) are minimal with the ProCal. If I did lap times on a road course I think the lower end torque would show some improvement in times. And of course it is very enjoyable on the street.

Last edited:

G-Mann

Established Member
Ran the procal from 5k to 10k miles and got a big thrill out of it over the stock tune. At 10k miles I added a bama 93R tune and JLT intake and got that thrill all over again. Picked up about 30rwhp over the procal vs the Bama tune (dyno pulls done on seperate days), big noticeable difference for me.

davefzr

Established Member
I am currently in this same situation. The ProCal has been on my car for the last few months and I constantly hear pinging at full throttle, even with the octane adjust set to Y. I am currently considering either AED or Bama for my next tune.

86merc

Established Member
I did not hear the ping. They dyno operator thought he heard something that he thought could be pinging. But the knock sensor showed nothing on the data logs. Winter gas in chicago sucks so it is possible. When spring gas came in I changed it to no octane adjust. No issues at all. And the car runs with out a hiccup. Plugs always look fine.

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
I did not hear the ping. They dyno operator thought he heard something that he thought could be pinging. But the knock sensor showed nothing on the data logs. Winter gas in chicago sucks so it is possible. When spring gas came in I changed it to no octane adjust. No issues at all. And the car runs with out a hiccup. Plugs always look fine.

I heard the ping. One of the biggest reasons I switched. But, in the end, I don't race the car and will probably put the octane adjustment setting to ON this time. So I am selling the intake and tuner. I never realized how much louder the intake was in WOT than stock as well...

Users who are viewing this thread