Who has datalogged the stock tune?

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I was wondering how many have datalogged their stock tunes and how many have had some degree of knock detected?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the FRPP ProCal but didn't even look to see if it would datalog. Also have an HPTuner but convinced they will never catch up on the Ford market. Not sure if they are GM leg humpers or just slow as molasses.

kevinp

Established Member
Yes I have datalogged the stock and yes it has had spark knock, thats street driving and not a dyno. The knock sensors on these seem pretty active on these, at least on mine anyways.

But I did try a couple aftermarket tunes NA and with higher timing there seemed to be less knock retard, but honestly I didnt stay NA very long so I wont say thats fact - just an observation..

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
Yes I have datalogged the stock and yes it has had spark knock, thats street driving and not a dyno. The knock sensors on these seem pretty active on these, at least on mine anyways.

But I did try a couple aftermarket tunes NA and with higher timing there seemed to be less knock retard, but honestly I didnt stay NA very long so I wont say thats fact - just an observation..

I agree they are pretty active! ive also heard that having a "loud" exhaust can sometimes trick the sensors into detecting knock. when i looked at both datalogs for my stock tune and my JMS tune they both were detecting knock. Monty did tell me that they allow the knock sensors more freedom in pulling timing and allow them to engage at a lower RPM than stock.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I am dying to see what the Pro-Cal shows. If I can actually hear ping, the knock sensors must be really working hard.

kevinp

Established Member
I agree they are pretty active! ive also heard that having a "loud" exhaust can sometimes trick the sensors into detecting knock. when i looked at both datalogs for my stock tune and my JMS tune they both were detecting knock. Monty did tell me that they allow the knock sensors more freedom in pulling timing and allow them to engage at a lower RPM than stock.

The knock sensors on these can also add timing if no knock is detected. I have played with knock sensors on various cars for years and IMO they are pretty unreliable overall. Valvetrain noise can set them off, any exhaust rattling on the body or a variety of other things. They are basically just microphones with a narrow frequency range and they cant discern if its real knock or not. They have gotten better though but I always consider them a last line of defense, but they are a pretty big part of the spark picture on these. All of my boosted cars that spent any time at the track had them turned off, better to rely on locked safe timing if you are pushing it and close to the edge IMO.

Having them pull a few degrees randomly doesnt really bother me much, I'm not professionally racing the car. Its when they can ADD a few degrees or not pull any if they do not detect any knock (and there is some) that concerns me.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
I am dying to see what the Pro-Cal shows. If I can actually hear ping, the knock sensors must be really working hard.
i had never heard ping (knowingly) until yesterday. I was going to take the car into Ford for the lower knock noise( I thought it was that stretchy belt deal) but my buddy was like dude thats ping.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
and this was while the car was under load? Do you fill up at the same gas stations or brand and what grade?

yea it was under load, this was not the first time i had heard the noise, it was prior to tuning as well i would really notice it in 5th or 6th while under load at highway speed i would hear this noise. I was getting non ethanol 91 at 711, now im going back to the non ethanol conoco up the road from the house, thats what i filled up with this last data log.

01bluesnake

Established Member
yea it was under load, this was not the first time i had heard the noise, it was prior to tuning as well i would really notice it in 5th or 6th while under load at highway speed i would hear this noise. I was getting non ethanol 91 at 711, now im going back to the non ethanol conoco up the road from the house, thats what i filled up with this last data log.

Try switching up brand of fuel, i've always ran shell with great luck. So under high load, definitely can be knock. I wonder if the knock sensors aren't switching the cal files quick enough for timing.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member

What tune are you running, or are you stock? I am running the Pro-Cal. I use non-ethanol Conoco 93 and a can of Lucas. If I run with the octane adjust enabled, I rarely if ever get ping. Thing is, I like it better without the octane adjust...so it is set to N. The only time I get audible ping is when I am rolling into power in a gear higher than 2nd. What I get is what I would call the onset of ping, a microsecond at best, and then it is gone. There is no ping if you accelerate at WOT from a start in 1st and run through the gears....unless for some reason you spin and bog.

Mike

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
thats why i went back to using the conoco i think i ended up with the bad gas at 711. the noise seems to be gone now, Im running the JMS Max power tune. there are not to many people that sell non ethanol gas around here.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ok cool. Where im at, everything has 10% ethanol, but i never have had a issue with gas problems. Stick with what you know works, which is what i do. I know it sounds crazy but ever since like 6 years ago, ill i get is shell. I felt all my cars run a lot better with it, minus the cars with E85 setups. Then again i only run 93 octane in everything lol.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
Ok cool. Where im at, everything has 10% ethanol, but i never have had a issue with gas problems. Stick with what you know works, which is what i do. I know it sounds crazy but ever since like 6 years ago, ill i get is shell. I felt all my cars run a lot better with it, minus the cars with E85 setups. Then again i only run 93 octane in everything lol.

my buddy only runs the 91 from this conoco on his tuned dodge and has had good luck. Unfortunately they only sell 91 here in oklahoma. ive heard there are a couple places that sell 93 but they are out of the way.

01bluesnake

Established Member
my buddy only runs the 91 from this conoco on his tuned dodge and has had good luck. Unfortunately they only sell 91 here in oklahoma. ive heard there are a couple places that sell 93 but they are out of the way.

Ya, fortunately i live in a Chicago suburb, so there's a gas every 3 blocks lol. Getting E85 is the only thing i have to go out of way for, but it's only 15 minutes from me which to me isn't bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread