Who has actually blown up the IRS??

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
I have no complaints with my IRS, because the Last time I went to the strip, my cobra had ZERO wheel hop. I'm I the only one here who likes the IRS and would never ever switch over to a solid rear?

I like mine. Not going to see it ever get swapped to a solid axle.

ChadS98GT

Established Member
ok.....please take the IRS vs. Solid axle comments to the other eleventy billion threads about the subject.....I made this thread to listen to people that have ACTUALLY BLOWN UP THERE IRS........Thank you :) Clearly not very many people have.....

99cobrajms

Established Member
Guess, you forgot to mention that about the rear end when you were trying to sell me those halfshafts. Glad I didnt buy them.

Shafts were in perfect working condition or I would not have sold them, @ss Wipe. So you missed out on some $820 shafts for a very low price.

Glad you did not get them for saying such a stupid remark. F-Head.

John

Last edited:

99cbra

Banned
99cobrajms said:
Shafts were in perfect working condition or I would not have sold them, @ss Wipe. So you missed out on some $820 shafts for a very low price.

John

you charged on the stock bottom end? what's the details man...

mikey99cobra

Established Member
i broke my diff. It litterally twisted in half. Im not sure if this is a IRS problem or just a ford diff problem. I was right at 300rwhp avg. about 2.0 60fts on street tires. I can post pics later if you want.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
mikey99cobra said:
i broke my diff. It litterally twisted in half. Im not sure if this is a IRS problem or just a ford diff problem. I was right at 300rwhp avg. about 2.0 60fts on street tires. I can post pics later if you want.

That's def not normal....

Defknotzero

Established Member
When I went to MSC 2.0 in morraco, IN with a bunch of other cobra guys.. there was a white 03 that blew his halfshafts. He got wheelhop, didnt let off, and kept going.. And then BOOM! So yea.. UPGRADE A MUST

ChadS98GT

Established Member
mikey99cobra said:

yeah lets see the pics if you got them :)

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
I think the diffs are just hit or miss.... I ran for almost a year at 310 rwhp / 302rwtq with no problems ever. Other than wheel hop. But I also never put any tire on it other than street radials and still got out 2.1's every now and then. No problems here yet....

Defknotzero

Established Member
Well right now i am at 435rwhp/440tq and when i get wheel hop.. I let off completely cause i dont want anything breaking before i get my solid axle.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
99cbra said:
You know how shiitty our cars handle in the rain....with the solid axle the car doesn't have the tendancy to want to do 360's as it did with the IRS.....the rear just slides out and you compensate for it.;-)

You don't know how to drive.

99COBRA2881 said:
Yeah the 28 splines suck, but how in the hell are gears going to break a halfshaft. Wheel hop breaks halfshafts, not gears.

Gears effectively multiply the torque going to the wheels. Higher gear ratios put more strain on the axles.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i agree with the above statement about gears....i ran many times in the 1.8x 60' range w/ the stock gears, and the first time i went to the track w/ 4.10's, i busted my driver's side half shaft...and it didn't twist the shaft, it blew up the inboard tripod joint next to the diff...at least it wasn't too hard to replace...that was when i started looking for a solid axle to swap with....
and also about the comment about halfshafts not breaking mid track....mine broke i would say at least a hundred feet out from the line, when i was shifting to 2nd gear, and got a bunch of wheelhop....

tonydahose

Established Member
i broke mine after my 12 second run...i ran a 1.755 60' with nittos and 4.30's...track was prepped nice...let off...felt the wheel hop maybe once.....as soon as i felt it i pushed the clutch in and let off the gas..it was already too late...it was my 26th run on the car..dyon'd at 300hp and tq

TnPaulMan

Banned
I love my IRS. Granted, I have had the car for 2 weeks but I still like it. I do think I need to get under there and tighten up all the IRS bolts though. I feel a little slop when switching gears. Haven't had it to the track but I don't plan on running it at the track much, just for shits and giggles.

Basically since I got the car, it has been raining. Never once have I felt the rear end want to come out, unless I provoke it. I think 99cbra is full of shit.

Paul

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
TnPaulMan said:
I love my IRS. Granted, I have had the car for 2 weeks but I still like it. I do think I need to get under there and tighten up all the IRS bolts though. I feel a little slop when switching gears. Haven't had it to the track but I don't plan on running it at the track much, just for shits and giggles.

Basically since I got the car, it has been raining. Never once have I felt the rear end want to come out, unless I provoke it. I think 99cbra is full of shit.

Paul
That drivetrain slop could be a lot of things, check the driveshaft bolts and U-joints first of all. Don't just wiggle them around a little, take the driveshaft out and make sure both U-joints are smooth through their entire rotation. I had a bad one on the pumpkin end and it caused a nasty vibration and some serious slop. Your gears could be a little worn, too. But hey, who needs an excuse to get new gears?? :-D

TnPaulMan

Banned
BlueStripe said:
That drivetrain slop could be a lot of things, check the driveshaft bolts and U-joints first of all. Don't just wiggle them around a little, take the driveshaft out and make sure both U-joints are smooth through their entire rotation. I had a bad one on the pumpkin end and it caused a nasty vibration and some serious slop. Your gears could be a little worn, too. But hey, who needs an excuse to get new gears?? :-D

I will do that, I just need a ****ing dry day to crawl under the car and do it. Hand tools should do the trick right? Just torque them up to spec and I should be fine? Oh, and should I get the Haynes or Chilton's manual?

Paul

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
99cobrajms said:

John

How come you failed to mention that the IRS locked up on you when you offered them to me for sale???? I thought maybe you were doing me a favor by offering them to me but I had a bad feeling about it, turns out I was right. Seems like a big problem to have the rear end lockup on you, how the hell am I supposed to believe you were just at a stop light and not going 70 mph when it happened??? You didn't have enough integrity to tell the whole story of what happened at the time so I have no reason to beleive your stop light story. Yeah I am glad I didnt get them either, because you'd be getting them back with a letter from my attorney.

Anthony

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
BlueStripe said:
Gears effectively multiply the torque going to the wheels. Higher gear ratios put more strain on the axles.

Thanks blue, I thought about this later on and remembered the torque multiplication that lower gears make and figured it would have some added strain on the axles.
I dunno about the 4.30s, I might go back to 3.73s. I have some time to decide the shop that did my install f'd up and they whine like a b!tch so the gears have to come out either way. 2881

TnPaulMan

Banned
99COBRA2881 said:
How come you failed to mention that the IRS locked up on you when you offered them to me for sale???? I thought maybe you were doing me a favor by offering them to me but I had a bad feeling about it, turns out I was right. Seems like a big problem to have the rear end lockup on you, how the hell am I supposed to believe you were just at a stop light and not going 70 mph when it happened??? You didn't have enough integrity to tell the whole story of what happened at the time so I have no reason to beleive your stop light story. Yeah I am glad I didnt get them either, because you'd be getting them back with a letter from my attorney.

Anthony

Not if they were perfectly fine to begin with.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread