Who has a stock 93 cobra?

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Could you tell me what battery was stock original for the 93 cobra? I bought my car a few months ago that was to be 100% stock but it had a aftermarket battery in it.

jspalmer01

Established Member
UWISSSH said:
Could you tell me what battery was stock original for the 93 cobra? I bought my car a few months ago that was to be 100% stock but it had a aftermarket battery in it.

I went downstairs and looked at the original...looks like a Motorcraft BX-58C (kinda hard to read though), 540 cold cranking amps. If you are looking to match the "look" exactly you won't.

Side note: While I was downstairs I noticed the original, as delivered, gray oil filter for the 93 cobra :thumbsup:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
UWISSSH said:

Here is a link to some research I did on original Motorcraft assembly line batteries a few months ago when this discussion came up on the Cobra R forum. As noted in the pictures, the replacement Ford parts dept. Motorcraft battery does not look the same, but it looks more at home in a Mustang engine compartment than any other non-Ford replacements, especially in MCA judging.

As noted in the bottom pictures, I have seen both the 58 and 59 series batteries in the 93 Cobra R which would be the same battery as used in the 93 Cobra, however original magazine articles "from the day" that featured a 93R all had the 58-C batteries.

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=12248&s=33660#content

R

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
jspalmer01 said:
I went downstairs and looked at the original...looks like a Motorcraft BX-58C (kinda hard to read though), 540 cold cranking amps. If you are looking to match the "look" exactly you won't.

Side note: While I was downstairs I noticed the original, as delivered, gray oil filter for the 93 cobra :thumbsup:

They are all grey even down to an 06' model vehicle.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:

I don't think the original Motorcraft filter on my 2000R is gray, but I know the originals on my earlier R's are gray.

R

jspalmer01

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:

OK, I understand most are grey when delivered up to current year. Is your point the one I have not off my 1993 cobra? :shrug:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
jspalmer01 said:
OK, I understand most are grey when delivered up to current year. Is your point the one I have not off my 1993 cobra? :shrug:

I would think that your filter, being gray is an original from the assy. line. The replacement Motorcraft filter would have all of the Motorcraft logo, and not be gray. Of course as these cars are being restored in the future, replacement Motorcraft filters will be painted gray to replicate the "original as delivered from Ford" look. At some point there will be a discussion as to what shade of gray, what finish, gloss, satin etc., as most original gray filters will be long gone.

R

jspalmer01

Established Member
Robert M said:
I would think that your filter, being gray is an original from the assy. line.
R

It is definitely one off the assembly line for a 1993 cobra...know why? Because I bought the car new (original owner of the car #2232 AND I look it off myself at 500 miles and put it in a bag!! :-D If anyone would like a picture of an original oil filter I would be glad to post one for you. :thumbsup:

kcp203

Established Member
jspalmer01 said:
It is definitely one off the assembly line for a 1993 cobra...know why? Because I bought the car new (original owner of the car #2232 AND I look it off myself at 500 miles and put it in a bag!! :-D If anyone would like a picture of an original oil filter I would be glad to post one for you. :thumbsup:

I saved my original too, mainly to save the barcoded sticker on it so I can do a repro at some point

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
fivestangs said:
LOL...I can hardly wait....

I know, it is amazing what cars of interest/value can cause people to discuss and do. It is amazing the assembly line paint daubs, mark-all markings and other factory markings that are replicated on "cars of interest" to be top show winners. It is just a matter of time. It seems that the "top notch/big dollar cars" have the most attention paid to detail during the restoration. Things like "correct" gray oil filters will be that kind of detail. Its that extra bit of detail that puts a car over the top in comparision to the guy next to you who has a real nice car, but......................

R

Last edited:

jspalmer01

Established Member
Robert M said:
I know, it is amazing what cars of value can cause people to discuss and do. It is amazing the assembly line paint daubs, mark-all markings and other factory markings that are replicated on "cars of interest" to be top show winners. It is just a matter of time. It seems that the "top notch/big dollar cars" have the most attention paid to detail during the restoration. Things like "correct" gray oil filters will be that kind of detail. Its that extra bit of detail that puts a car over the top in comparision to the guy next to you who has a real nice car, but......................

R

Robert...yes you are correct. I know it probably seems pretty anal to a lot of people to talk about original oil filters but our cars are getting to the point where they will be desired for concours restoration purposes. I'll post a picture tonight (if I find some time). Took a bunch of pics when the car was new and sent them to Bob Lyons of SCOA for the 1993 archives and for future restoration purposes.....and here we are 13 years later and starting to talk about it ;-)

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
jspalmer01 said:

I would assume the one you have off your car is the original one since you bought the car new.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
jspalmer01 said:
Robert...yes you are correct. I know it probably seems pretty anal to a lot of people to talk about original oil filters but our cars are getting to the point where they will be desired for concours restoration purposes. I'll post a picture tonight (if I find some time). Took a bunch of pics when the car was new and sent them to Bob Lyons of SCOA for the 1993 archives and for future restoration purposes.....and here we are 13 years later and starting to talk about it ;-)

I still have the original filter on, and oil in my 93R, it only has 380 (or so) original miles. The oil has not been used enough for heat break-down, the engine has no blow-by for combustion chamber bi-product contamination, the oil is still clear as new oil would be and feels like new oil would feel. The engine, by its miles is not to the "break-in oil" change point yet. At this rate the car will have its original oil at 20 years old!! I wonder if original oil counts toward MCA judged points? ; )

R

Last edited:

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
I wonder how many people think to save the first oil filter? I work at a dealership and I could only imagine the look that people would give me if i asked them if they wanted to keep their first oil filter, lol. That is pretty cool though, I would love to see pics!!

Users who are viewing this thread