Who has a 2" drop (Springs)

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by 99CobraSupercharged
I have to agree with toofast4u.

But Killer Cobra asked if there was a 2" drop available and he'll be slamming her with 19" Rims. And seeing you have such a tall order. I'd say you get coilovers. That way you can raise it up if it rubs. Call any suspension company and ask them if you can use their kit with 19's and you want to know if it will rub, see what they say.

And Brad

I'm not trashing the H&R spring. It’s a very good spring. I was just sharing an experience that I ran into with using that spring with my 18's. I got no reason to say its B.S. If anything its embarrassing to say it didn't work. I wasted the spring money and the install. Now the 03 Cobra does have a much better shock and strut setup. A big part of my failure was related to that.

Airbags do that and you just stripped your cobra of any serious handling. Also, see if they happen to mention that the toe on your car goes's in and out as you raise and lower it. You can get away with raising or lowering a 1/8 inch or so without realignment. But no much more or you'll have tire wear issues.

Like I said every car is different and so is every owner. I like the H&R's alot, its a whole different world over a stock 03 cobra, I havent had a single issue in 6000 miles. :thumbsup:

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I understand the the the toe and camber will be messed up when you lower and raise the car, but I thought that as long as you raised the car to the exact height at which the toe and camber were right then it shouldn't make a difference. I would think that handling would be improved also, along with the ride quality. You can adjust both caster and camber with air bags without the need of caster camber plates. Has anyone used these one their mustang.

I was going to go with Steeda Sports springs, but the idea of air bags has my attention now. I think I saw a how too install in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords a couple of months ago. I know they are expensive, but my brother is a mechanic and I'm sure he'd enjoy a project like this. ;)

Last edited:

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Whats the price for air bags? It's not like my Vert will ever handle like the 300ZXTT so with that known, hell slam some bags on so I can drop her to the floor. You hicks are gonna love me!!!!

Nothing but love man!!!

Last edited:

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I purchased the H&R's for now. 1.6"F & 1.5"R drop. Someone said more like 1.7"F cause of the Eaton. Sounds just right for me...Bling Bling!!

Mr.Mystic

Originally posted by toofast4u
People have for years been lower Mustangs under the assumption that the lower it is the better the car will handle. This is a completely incorrect and sometimes dangerous belief. If you think I am wrong I suggest you do some more research and can start with reading Mustang Performance 2 by William Mathis.

The optimum ride height for correct suspension articulation in a mustang's front suspension is such that the Ball Joint pivot point and LCA pivot point are parallel with the ground and this is not something special to the 03 Cobra. The optimum ride height on a 03 Cobra is ~14.79 mm lower then stock. When a Mustang has been lowered beyond this point it will compromise steering, braking, and roll stiffness which will also causes rear traction problems. Lowering a vehicle beyond the optimum ride height does lower the center of gravity which can provide some minimum gains, but the benefits of this should be weighed against the more serious compromises mentioned previously.

Slamming a vehicle is what we would normally refer to as a “ricer” modification as the real reason most people do it is based purely on aesthetics and not function.

Yeah I agree, im not saying that slamming it is good for handling. I would say that 3/4 of the people that do lower their cars just do it for asthetic reasons and not performance. I wouldnt go over 1.5 inches lower. One more thing, you can get the steeda "lowered" balljoints if your worried about the handling thing but its not a necessity.

Last edited by a moderator:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by GaStang
Yeah I agree, im not saying that slamming it is good for handling. I would say that 3/4 of the people that do lower their cars just do it for asthetic reasons and not performance. I wouldnt go over 1.5 inches lower. One more thing, you can get the steeda "lowered" balljoints if your worried about the handling thing but its not a necessity.

Yes, the Steeda X2 ball-joints do let you lower your car an additional ~ 0.5" and still maintain the proper front end geometry.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I'll keep you all posted about the 1.6F to 1.5R drop with the stock 17" rims. It's all good. If it's bottoms out on a certain route then I'll just have to take the long way. darn, another long drive in the Black Snake. such is life!

Poison_S

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Yes, the Steeda X2 ball-joints do let you lower your car an additional ~ 0.5" and still maintain the proper front end geometry.

Has anyone ever done just the balljoints with the stock suspension?

I did them with the steeda springs and it dropped the car a total of 1.25".

I wondered if they would do much of anything with the stock springs/shocks.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Poison_S
Has anyone ever done just the balljoints with the stock suspension?

I did them with the steeda springs and it dropped the car a total of 1.25".

I wondered if they would do much of anything with the stock springs/shocks.

The will lower the chassis relationship with the ground ~.5" in the front.

Users who are viewing this thread