Who has a 2" drop (Springs)

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I've been searching for some 2" springs.

So far it seems Saleen has the lowest but they are around 1-1/2 to 1-3/4" so they say.

Since I'll be slamming on the 19" Rims I need to make sure she's low enough and not a 4x4.

thanks,
SS

Where's the best spot on the bumper to stick the moroso sticker? :)

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
You may want to look into Coil overs. I belive you can drop the car as low as you want. Do a search and you should find some pics and info. I believe Toofast4u has them on his car. I know you were looking for springs, but I've heard that coilovers may be better.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
H & R are very low. Search.

Ask Fakesnake if it was worth it.

His insurance had to buy a motor after he pancaked his pan into his crank.

This isn't a 300Z. Lower isn't necessarily best. Just some friendly advice.

Do a search. You'll see.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
You will not be able to lower your car with springs 2" from factory ride height and still be able to drive it. Fakesnake learned this lesson the hard way you can't lower a mustang that low. From a balance stand-point the 03 Cobra is close to the optimum height from the factory. The springs you are referring to will only lower your 03 probably around ~1.25" max remember those numbers are not for your specific car and most likely from a 94-95 GT. The 03 Cobra is lowered around ~1/4" in the front from a regular 03 GT also. Your best answer is going to be go with coil-over or air bags so you can adjust the ride height to exactly what you want. My car stock had a ride height from the ground to the highest point in the fender opening of ~27" in the front and ~28.25" in the rear. My car is currently sitting ~26.25" in the front and ~27.25” in the rear and this is the lowest I have found to comfortably drive it and not worry about hitting everything. You will most likely want to go with air bags which will allow you to adjust your parked height and ride height to fit you desired effect.

Air Bags

Poison_S

Established Member
I agree with TooFast in that the front should not be much lower than 26" to 26 1/4". Click on the link in my sig for Steeda Suspension. I talk about the before and after with the Steeda Sportline spring install.

I am currently at 26-26 1/8" in the front and definitely would not want to be any lower. In fact, I wouldn't mind being about a 1/4" higher.

As for the rear, I am currently at 27-27 1/4" with the Steeda Sportline springs and would like to be about 1/2" lower. I am considering the H&R rear springs which, in theory, provide a 1/2" lower drop in ride height compared to the Steeda sport rears. Again, in theory, this should get the front and rear within approximately 1/2" of one another.

Steeda, of course, was against this idea of mixing and matching, but their solution of taking out the rear isolators to get the height down did not seem like such a good idea.

Anyone have experience with removing the rear isolators?

Last edited:

hyboost

Established Member
I think I found what Killer is looking for :D :D :D :thumbsup:

Current car.....
stock.jpg

Slammed.....
low.jpg

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
I say coilovers are the way to go. You can lower your car, adjust it, readjust it, over and over. Coil springs are shorter, STIFFER, and uncomfortable, and not adjustable. Airbags are sweet but kinda spendy.

Im thinking about Airbags (When I get my 04 Cobra, hehe) I could raise my car over speed bumps and everything. Also, how does that affect the Caster/Camber if your car has bags on it?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Capt. Shockwave
Im thinking about Airbags (When I get my 04 Cobra, hehe) I could raise my car over speed bumps and everything. Also, how does that affect the Caster/Camber if your car has bags on it?

It completely screws it up.

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
How low are the H&R's. I was thinking about buying a set for my 03 but if there "THAT" low... I'll look somewhere else.

-- Jaret

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Heres a picture with H&R's installed on my Cobra. I drove it for a week and ripped them out and stuffed Griggs coil overs in. Huge improvement over the H&R's. Don't waist your time with springs and big wheels. These Steeda Wheels, 18's were rubbing on every bump.

Looks good but not functionable. Do it write or leave it alone.

HH1.jpg

HH10.jpg

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
I just visited the H&R site. They don't list springs for the 03, but they do have springs for the ... ahem... 02 Cobra... I'm assuming these will work?

-- Jaret

Brad

Banned
I don't know what these guys are talking about with the H&R trashing, but each car is a little different.

I have H&R's installed on my vert and its a no brainer, they are awesome. I have about 6000 miles on them and everything is perfect. I dont even have C/C plates, and there is no nagative camber up front, and if there is my tires dont notice. The install was no problem, I hardly ever bottom out.. and what can I say, it looks awesome.. Why spend so much on coil-overs when this works so well. For me they work great and look even better, but some people arnt me, lol..

here are some pics PM me for details

z2.jpg

low2.jpg

z5.jpg

Mr.Mystic

Its interesting how people have been lowering mustangs for years without much issue and now supposely the 03 cobra is diffrent. Its not, the same basic chassic since 1979. Only thing diffrent is the independent rear suspension but thats not where some folks are having problems. Springs work fine if installed properly and will save a bunch of dough over the coil over setup. You just have to use your brain and be aware of where you drive.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by GaStang
Its interesting how people have been lowering mustangs for years without much issue and now supposely the 03 cobra is diffrent. Its not, the same basic chassic since 1979. Only thing diffrent is the independent rear suspension but thats not where some folks are having problems. Springs work fine if installed properly and will save a bunch of dough over the coil over setup. You just have to use your brain and be aware of where you drive.

You got that right.. also for whoever asked.. I called up tire rack, great price.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Would the handling characteristics be worse with airbags compared to coil over or springs? I saw a car with air bags at Carlisle this weekend, was pretty nice.

Btw, I saw the 2005 Mustang Concept Lightning, and GT and all I can say is wow! I'm definitely going to consider a trade in once the 2006 Cobra's come out. I'll post more info and pictures of the show a little bit later.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by GaStang

People have for years been lower Mustangs under the assumption that the lower it is the better the car will handle. This is a completely incorrect and sometimes dangerous belief. If you think I am wrong I suggest you do some more research and can start with reading Mustang Performance 2 by William Mathis.

The optimum ride height for correct suspension articulation in a mustang's front suspension is such that the Ball Joint pivot point and LCA pivot point are parallel with the ground and this is not something special to the 03 Cobra. The optimum ride height on a 03 Cobra is ~14.79 mm lower then stock. When a Mustang has been lowered beyond this point it will compromise steering, braking, and roll stiffness which will also causes rear traction problems. Lowering a vehicle beyond the optimum ride height does lower the center of gravity which can provide some minimum gains, but the benefits of this should be weighed against the more serious compromises mentioned previously.

Slamming a vehicle is what we would normally refer to as a “ricer” modification as the real reason most people do it is based purely on aesthetics and not function.

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
I have to agree with toofast4u.

But Killer Cobra asked if there was a 2" drop available and he'll be slamming her with 19" Rims. And seeing you have such a tall order. I'd say you get coilovers. That way you can raise it up if it rubs. Call any suspension company and ask them if you can use their kit with 19's and you want to know if it will rub, see what they say.

And Brad

I'm not trashing the H&R spring. It’s a very good spring. I was just sharing an experience that I ran into with using that spring with my 18's. I got no reason to say its B.S. If anything its embarrassing to say it didn't work. I wasted the spring money and the install. Now the 03 Cobra does have a much better shock and strut setup. A big part of my failure was related to that.

Airbags do that and you just stripped your cobra of any serious handling. Also, see if they happen to mention that the toe on your car goes's in and out as you raise and lower it. You can get away with raising or lowering a 1/8 inch or so without realignment. But no much more or you'll have tire wear issues.

Users who are viewing this thread