who else got a messed up lower back

terminated99

Established Member
my back has been messed up for about 5 years i have 2 small herniated discs and was told that there not big enough to operate.so im in constant discomfort sometimes cant get up to walk for weeks when i agravate it anyone else have somethin like this .im gettin tired of this crap have been to 3 chiropractors and its just gettin worse any imput would be great.:beer:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I don't have a back issue, but I have a small herniation in my neck. I found out because my left arm just started going completely asleep, like just standing there and I had a tingling in my face. I'm taking NSAIDS twice daily and its barely noticeable now.

Good luck, nerve problems suck.

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
Massage, accupuncture, and if you don't find a good chiropractor, try to do long walks. You need to loosen things up.

Drink more water, and eliminate as much stress from your life as you can.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
off topic terminated99 please post bigger pic of your avatar

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Contrast MRI and Neurosurgical Consult.

+1

also, quit smoking if you do (it causes further disc deterioration), and lose some weight if you need to(obvious). two things that are highly underrated in decreasing back pain. good luck

Sapperstang

Established Member
You bet. See avatar. HOwever, they tell me except for a straighter than normal llumber spine nothing is wrong. I disagree though.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have/had one. L5 S1, which went right down my left leg. It had gotten severe enough that I felt 90, and would almost be in tears just trying to get out of bed every morning! I had to grab the side of a treadmill that was beside the bed, and use my upper body to pull myelf up, and out. I found that the only thing that controlled the pain for me was 800mg. of Ibuprofen at least 3-4 times a day, and an electronic muscle stimulator device made by RS Medical (RS4I). I tried the conservative approach of the Chiro too, but that did nothing but provide very temporary relief of a few hours. What finally fixed it for me was a combination of epidural steroidal injections into the disc area, and p.t. My recovery time was a year, or a bit longer, but now I am about 5 years out, and back to being able to lift heavy stuff again, have full flexibility, rock climb, bike, and everything else I could do before. I am just conscious now of using correct body mechanics whenever possible to avoid blowing it out again. If I went the surgical route (which I would only recommend in the most extreme situation), I would have been in much worse shape right now, with a lot less flexibility, and overall abilities. My wife specializes in ortho type injuries, dealing mostly with worker's comp injuries, so she really helped me get through the process in the best way possible, and believe me, she sees it all, and sees the outcomes of the various types of treatment plans. Good luck, and make sure you see a good sports medicine/spine doctor, don't expect a chiropractor to "fix" this type of injury, because it will not!

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
Contrast MRI and Neurosurgical Consult.

what would be the point of having a MRI if they already found the herniated disks? Neuro surgical consult, hmmm most surgeons are gonna wanna cut no doubt about it.
+1

also, quit smoking if you do (it causes further disc deterioration), and lose some weight if you need to(obvious). two things that are highly underrated in decreasing back pain. good luck

+1 words to live on....

I have two herniated disks in my back, L4 L5 to be exact, and i was also told they are not big enough to do surgery on. I take muscle relaxers on a daily basis along with 10/325 of oxycodone. Tried the whole accupuncture, deep tissue massage, and cortisone injections. Only thing that really helps for me is stretching three times a day.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
If you lived closer to Pikeville KY I would highly recommend Dr Norman Meyer. He did my wife's back surgery a year ago. She could not stand, sit, walk or lay down with out extreme pain. Her consulting Dr put her on a 7 day Valium regimen and high potency steroids to take down the swelling and inflamation. They did a MRI and showed us what was wrong. He explained everything to us twice. He let my wife make the decision for surgery or not. She went into surgery at 8:00 am and was back in her room before 10:30am. When she awoke, she had no pain. He came in and checked her that evening and told her she could go home. What was really wild was they just glued her back together and did not use stitches or staples. She has been doing well since. She told quite a few that she would not hesitate having it done. Oh, Dr Meyer taught the surgery procedures to students at University of Louisville before coming to this area.

Find you a good Dr that is well thought of. Chiro is ok to a point. I am not putting it down but sometimes it can have the wrong effects.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
what would be the point of having a MRI if they already found the herniated disks? Neuro surgical consult, hmmm most surgeons are gonna wanna cut no doubt about it.

I recommended a contrast MRI. This will clearly define margins and give more information in regard to the disc lesions. He is clearly have neural compromise and a neurosurgeon is the best one to evaluate it.

Hooligan02

We're all full of lies
Established Member
I have the same problem, two herniated discs, can't remember which ones off the top of my head. I still lift weights, but I am very careful and don't lift what I used to. Dr. said to stretch and walk a lot, definitely helps, but about once a year, I'll be down for the count for at least 3 days, barely able to get out of bed, let alone, walk without holding on to something. Worst part is, I'm only 27 and am pretty much stuck with it unless doing surgery, which I pretty much refuse after knowing people that have gone through it, and came out worse.

If I start feeling my back tighten, I take 600 mg of Ibprofen (sp?) and if it gets worse, I will take codine and a muscle relaxor, usually good to go the next day, just sore and can't lift anything, or at least avoid lifting anything if possible, for about a week.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
2 Herniated discs, L1/L2 and L4/L5. To avoid surgery I had my back stretched multiple days in a row, basically controlled/modified traction, one of the brand name machines/programs is Vax-D. I can now throw my 2 year old around and for 99.9% of the time am pain free. As a note, I was very skeptical going in, just wanted an alternative to getting cut open. It wasn't cheap though, my insurance wouldn't cover it and I can potential whack everything back out. I'm also sure sometime in the future I will likely have to get surgery.

Contrast MRI as mentioned above should be a requirement prior to almost any treatment.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
I have herniation on L4 and L5 as well and thought this was majority of my issues until I discovered that it was actually my SI joint on my right side that was 99% of the issue. Look up on youtube and the net about SI joint correction and give some of the exercises a try. I also use an inversion table every day for 2 months and my back has much improved in the last couple months.

mysterio

Established Member
After 30 years of ice hockey, my lower back is no picnic. Like you, OP, I've had some disk problems.

A good chiropractor, though, can make a ton of difference. A bad one can make things worse, unfortunately. It might pay to look around and get second, third opinions.

After visiting a good chiro for over a year, I felt a ton of relief, and things definitely improved.

Good luck, hope they can fix what ails ya. Backs can be very tricky.

spike_africa

Established Member
L3 here and I just go to a chiropractor for maintenance on it. Best thing I ever did was find a good Chiro and go once a ever other month or 2 to keep it in check since I hurt it 3 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread