Who does their own Alignment?

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I'd like to hear from the guys who do their own alignment. I'd like to try this on my own, but I'd love to hear all the good tips! I know that camber is an easy thing to check, but what is the proper way to check toe on our terminators? I actually tried the parallel strings, but I think my rear axle length is a bit longer that the front. If my measurement was accurate, then the distance between the rear outside hub centers are 3/4 inch longer than the front. I don't know if the left and right stick out further evenly or if one side is out further than the other.
Hopefully some of you can shed some light on the correct way to check toe. Also, can we check things like thrust ange as well?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
When I have the time, I do my own alignments but currently only have the rear toe portion captured on video. The video I did was primarily for IRS bumpsteer but there is a short section on setting the rear toe at the end of the video.

It helps to have a lift and set-up stands but I have also done it at the track with neither. And THAT is a trail and error test of patience I'll tell you! :fart:

I'm actually to the point where I trust my strings, magnetic camber/caster gauge and toe plate work just as much if not more than laser equipment. Alignments are not exactly rocket science! ;-)

Enjoy:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/Videos/Bumpsteer II and rear toe small.wmv

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
lol, its like 50 bucks, just fork over the cash

You may let just 'anybody' work on your car. I'm a little more fussy. It's not the $50, it's more about trusting the people working on your car.

I am real particular about how my car drives. It's very important to me. ;-)

FWIW

golfprowanabe

Established Member
You may let just 'anybody' work on your car. I'm a little more fussy. It's not the $50, it's more about trusting the people working on your car.

I am real particular about how my car drives. It's very important to me. ;-)

FWIW

I'm in the same boat. I've watched shops do alignments and not care how good of a job they actually do. Hell I've even argued with one who said that my car can't be adjusted in the rear. The real fact was that person was too lazy and didn't want to do 'actual' work.
But one things for sure... I can trust myself.
I will also occasionally get an alignment with lasered equipment to get a good base, but not every few months! Besides, I don't know where anyone gets a four wheel alignment in Tampa for $50... it's more like $99.

Last edited:

svt2712

Established Member
I bought the speedway motors magnetic alignment tool and it works great i aligned my 93 ford ranger with 6" lift and 33's. It was my practice vehicle.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
$50 gets you a two-wheel alignment in most places, and our cars have adjustments on all four wheels, and all four wheels have to work together, so you might as well not give yourself the pimp shot and spring for having all four wheels aligned...

How important can those other two wheels be?!!? ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread