Who can tell me why this car is FTW?

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Galaxie

Late in the year Ford introduced their new engine challenger, the SOHC 427 Cammer, Though not documented, it is believed a few may have found their way onto the street (this engine was only available to racers through the dealer network or from the manufacturer; none were ever factory installed). Rated at over 600 hp (447 kW), this is possibly the most powerful engine ever fitted to a production car by an American manufacturer. NASCAR changed the rules, however, requiring thousands (rather than hundreds) of production examples in service to qualify for the next season, and Ford decided against producing the Cammer in that quantity. Fears of liability concerns and the bad publicity possibilities in giving the public a car that dangerously powerful are often cited as reasons, but it might simply have been that Ford doubted that an engine so unsuited to street use could sell in such numbers.

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
Galaxies were badged "7 litre" in 66'.... a 428 though. I dont think a cammer galaxie was ever produced from the factory. My dad has a 4spd 66 7litre vert one of like 4xx cars... love that car

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
Galaxies were badged "7 litre" in 66'.... a 428 though. I dont think a cammer galaxie was ever produced from the factory. My dad has a 4spd 66 7litre vert one of like 4xx cars... love that car

Soooooo, I was right to begin with.....a Big Block Galaxie 500! lol

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
p9260031tq2.jpg

66 7litre and 66 500 w/ a 390

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
The 427 was also listed as an option for the mustang in 67' but to my knowledge no documented vehicles have ever been found. I know someone who tried to order one back in the day and his order kept getting put off. Finally it was denied and he settled for the 390.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
I don't believe its a SOHC. Not until I see pics. One of those engines went on ebay for between $30-60k.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
It's funny I see this thread now. At work yesterday an older guy was telling me about his '66 Galaxie 7 liter and '66 Galaxie 500 XL he had back in the day. Sweet cars!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if anyone wants a complete 427 cammer, contact dove manufacturing and they will build you a brand new engine since they bought all the tooling from ford. their website doesnt list prices, but i would imagine that it falls somewhere in between 'not cheap' and 'mother ****ing expensive'.

Users who are viewing this thread