White Smoke

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
Ok, Now I know first thing that comes to mind is head gasket, but I am just looking for opinions before I do it.

I just put a new intercooler on and installed the evenflow head cooling mod.

I changed the oil, dark but all oil.

filled the coolant and burped the system.

Then started up, working on burping the system more. Sounded alright and no smoke.

Then I throttled it up a bit and the engine sounded like it bogged down and the white smoke came out the tailpipes.

faded out, and went away till I throttled again.

Called it a night frustrated. Just looking for some advice of where to start tomorrow.

Thanks like always.

cbr repsol

Established Member
If it wasnt smoking before the intercooler you installed. Im going with improper install . Lots of people skip putting new o-rings on the housing That has the two nipples that go into the intercooler. If it leaks it will go into the cylinders and you will get white smoke out the pipes. Do a compression test just to be safe all your cylinders are within 10% of each other. If it is drastically off , you have some cylinder sealing problems. g/l

Last edited:

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
I thought those seem really loose when I set them in. I"m gonna cross my fingers and go with that. Though not looking forward to taking everything off again. And if some place is open tomorrow I'll go find a compression tester.

Any Idea where to get those O rings?

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Smell the exhaust for coolant, when you burp the system see if you get alot of air bubbles out of the funnel. Also does the car overheat any? -shane

th_MVI_0033.jpg

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
Ok, so ran the car for an hour this morning after draining the IC reservoir.

No overheating, Coolant still at same operating level it was last night. Runs a little rough but I think there is still some fluid in the exhaust. Might have to drop the pipes and let drain?

Smoke only on quick throttle or release.

Gonna have to take it back apart, get all fluid out of intake and replace those O Rings...Any ideas on how to help it seal besides new O rings? for the way they plug it seems kinda inadequate.

Thanks again for all your help.

Just curious, is that video a good or bad thing? Mine had less bubbles.

Last edited:

eric p

Established Member
Smell the exhaust for coolant, when you burp the system see if you get alot of air bubbles out of the funnel. Also does the car overheat any? -shane

th_MVI_0033.jpg

I had that same problem when I replaced my heads on my 5.0. :fm:.... Apparently you are NOT suppose to re-use head bolts. LOL. How was I suppose to know :shrug:.

Logical thinking would point to cause and effect. So hopefully it was the intercooler that caused it. Things like that dont really happen unless something was changed or damaged.

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
The o-rings I would get at the dealer. They can't be that expensive. I wouldn't try to put anything on them to help seal. The last thing u want is your intercooler getting clogged.

Users who are viewing this thread