White smoke out my tailpipe ?

351wvan

Established Member
OK so I just purchased a 87 Mustang GT and its more of a project car, when I got the car it was running good no smoke but after I did the spark plugs, oil change and flushed the radiator it started to blow white smoke. When I start the car and let it idle for about 3-4 minutes its fine but after 5 minutes it starts to blow white smoke. I checked the coolant and it green, so oil is not mixing. And the car is not overheating, I let the car idle for 20 minutes and didnt overheat, then ran the ac for 20 more minutes and didnt overheat. And to add one more thing two of the spark plugs had non foulers and I used a flash light to try to see the inside the cylinder head and looked all black and full of oil or gunk. I do know that the valve cover gaskets need to be replaced, any thoughts or info would really help. Thanks.

SATURN5

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Possible head gasket leaking into a cylinder...

Do a compression check and report back...

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I'd also guess a head gasket. The oil and water don't have to mix for the gasket to be blown. Run a compression and leakdown test.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
more then likely blown headgasket on the exhaust side.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
more then likely blown headgasket on the exhaust side.

Um, what? That doesn't make sense. It's possible for his head gasket to be leaking into the combustion chamber (leaking coolant) and not allowing oil/water to mix, but the exhaust side of the head gasket? There is no such thing. The gasket separates the cylinder head from the block, there are holes in it for the cylinders, bolts, water jackets and the oil drain back, and that's it. There is no "intake side" and "exhaust side".

wheelhopper

Established Member
What are you talking about. Sure you could have the head gasket leak on the exhaust side. But then coolant would be flowing onto your header, so it would be obvious.

Duh.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Ah...lol, wasn't thinking of it that way. When he said exhaust side, I was thinking like exhaust valve, not the exhaust edge of the gasket. If that's what he meant, then I owe him an apology. If the headgasket is leaking coolant in this case, chances are the break is on that side of the gasket. The water jackets are along the bottom of the head (or, exhaust side as you put it), and thus that's probably where it broke. It wouldn't necessarily have to leak onto the header though, the break could go into one of the cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread