White residue on exhaust tips

whiplash920

Established Member
So this just started yesterday during 1/2 mile racing event. Was running 100 octane race tune with 110 octane race gas (leaded). After the event I returned the tune to 93 and filled up. Prob only had about a gallon of the race gas in when I filled up. The residue is still white, not sure if this is an issue. Car ran well at the event, but on the way home I noticed choppiness with acceleration in 4th starting at 3500 rpm through around 5800. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking may be gas related...thanks for the help. Maybe with a fresh tank....seafoam a good idea?

Last edited:

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Leaded gas will leave a light grey residue on the exhaust. Normal. It's actually lead.. :D
LEXiiON

whiplash920

Established Member
I wonder if your spark plugs are lead fouled.

Not sure if it matters, but have only run prob 20 gallons or so through in total. Plugs are new, just replaced in may when I upgraded to the VMP TVS Gen 2 supercharger. Would they get fouled up with that amount of fuel you think?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Depending on the miles of your O2 sensors, the lead could have affected them.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I run 100 LL AvGas for the past few events (1/3 and 1/2 mile) and the plugs are really white afterwards. O2 sensors have been fine so far, but I'm sure the more I continue to run it, the worse off they'll be. Put fresh plugs in do a quick datalog.

whiplash920

Established Member
Long story short, ended up being corrosion at the negative terminal on the battery....was covered so I couldn't readily see it. All cleaned up and after a test drive....100% better. Thanks all!

lkempf

Established Member
It is definitely from the gas and not the battery. All leaded gases will do this. If it were me i Wouldn't run anymore through it unless you want to replace the O2 sensors along with the cats. Just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread