White Cobras.....rust dots on paint?

whitesnake04

Established Member
Hello all,

Does anybody else have tiny, tiny rust spots on the car. I was told by the dealership that it was some sort of pollution caused by the transportation on the rail track.

I took my car in to the dealership to get the rust spots buffed out. I got my car back and it still had some. I'm trying to see if anyone else has this problem.

thanks,
Noe

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
It's called rail dust, do a search on it. Clay bar your entire car first, then wax. I don't think I would try to buff it out. It should come right out.

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
Those are small particles of metal that have imbedded themselves into your paint. You'll pick those up over the lifetime of your car.

The best way you clean up your paint is to thave the car clayed or to clay the car yourself. I had the same problem and had the car clayed.

M

Romans8:28

Established Member
VERY common problem, mine was that way when I bought it.

I bought the "mothers clay bar" and did it myself in about three hours.
Well worth the effort, the rail dust/rust came right off and the paint looked fantastic. I would claybar a car regardless of rail dust, its amazing how good the clay cleans the paint up.

SICKBOY

Established Member
i have em...will be clayin and zainoing in the comming months

whtsnake03

Established Member
I have them too. I just buff them out when I find them. They don't seem to come back.

svt2003cobra

Banned
I had the same thing, Claybar took care of it. I work in the logistics part of Toyota and our Vehicles have wrapguard on them when they get railed out for this very reason. Why the cobras dont i dont know.

spree

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Since it happened in transportation, can't he get Ford to clay bar it for him at no cost to him?

I wouldn't trust them to do that properly.

Fleck 5

Established Member
I spent 2 hour with the claybar on my White cobra to get rust specs and tar off the paint before I zainoed it. I spent 3 1/2 hours on my wife's Chevy Trailblazer to get all of the rust specs out of the paint before I Zaioned it. Take a look at Zaino's web page for more information at www.zainostore.com, they sell a claybar and the best synthetic polishes out there.

ChuckC

Rail Dust in white paint

I had the exact same thing. The dealership (Central Ford) here in Houston realized they needed to figure this out and had some chemical/paint cleaner representative do a training class on my car. Kind of scary to find out post-cleaning, but the results were perfect. Saved me a couple of hours of clay-barring. I'll take that time and do my many-coats of Zaino.

Has anyone tried to improve the depth of clear coat yet - i.e. wet sand and re-spray? I'm just unsure about paint compatibility as I'd use a ppg 2021 or something along those lines and I understand this has a water born urethane.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Rail dust.....its basically just a stain in the paint....a clay bar will take it right off.

Fleck 5

Established Member
White cars look cleaner than darker cars when they are dirty. On the other hand, they show tar, bugs, and rust spots much more. You won't notice the rust spots on a dark car unless you get up close.

03reptile

Established Member
I posted this problem about a year ago. Mine had small orangish spots in the front bumper cover. It was not a surface paint problem, but beneath the paint. Ford repainted the cover under warranty and all is well now.

2002bolt

Established Member
Just so you guys know the mach had it the worse i have ever seen on a car, my Lightning had it a little bit but the mach was the worse the whole car felt like sand paper, nothing mothers clay bar wont take off. Its just time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread