Whipple VS KB pick!

A stallion

Established Member
I want to buy a supercharger for my brother's 07 Mustang GT. he doesn't want to build the engine so I want to buy him one that will give him the most HP for stock internals and be safe. Which one you guys recommend whipple or KB and what size?
Thank you

GTAmuscle

Established Member
No matter which supercharger he gets it will be close to the point where forged internals are necessary. Some people have grenaded with less than 450 rwhp. Personally, I don't feel safe putting either application (they're my top 2 when it comes to superchargers too) without forged internals and because of that have decided to prolong my time until I go to FI.
But, give KB or Whipple a call and see what they have to say. Usually you can go lower PSI with a KB because they do usually have less parasitic loss due to their rotor design and it would be their 2.6L and if you went with Whipple you couldn't go larger than their 2.3L.
I'm pretty conservative when it comes to this and plenty of people have had FI setups on their stock internals and lived to tell the tale.

vic_s197

Established Member
I ran a procharger d1sc for about a 1 1/2 before I built my motor. I had it at 525 rwhp on 14 psi with over 50 passes down the track. I'm not saying turn it up like I did but that's my experience. And any of those superchargers will do what u need.

2000gator

Established Member
Either supercharger will max out the motor easily. I have a Saleen one with 512rwhp for a few years now and it runs flawlessly. Just comes down to a proper tune and fuel.

908ssp

Established Member
Neither when the DOB kit does every bit as good a job at 450rwhp as either of those kits and cost nearly half as much which allows you to buy a lot of better parts than what come in the kits if you want. DOB

rowin gearz

Established Member
Go with a Procharger H.O. II kit you won't have the heat soak that you get with a Twin screw an the HP gain will be in the same neighbor hood with out the sticker price of a KB or Whipple.. I have a Procharger on my 2005 mustang and i have 551 rwhp and there is no heat soak

Powered by Ford

Established Member
Neither when the DOB kit does every bit as good a job at 450rwhp as either of those kits and cost nearly half as much which allows you to buy a lot of better parts than what come in the kits if you want. DOB

+1

With the DOB kit you can make the same power for less money using OEM quality components. Not sure if you are familiar with it, but basically it is a manifold that allows a GT500 factory supercharger gen 5 or TVS to be installed on a 4.6 3V.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FordEvangelist

Established Member
I have a GEN I 2.3L Whipple on mine, great blower but I've pretty much reached it's limit around 700rwhp. The Gen II would probably support more but it wasn't available when I bought mine. The KB 2.6 is a great choice. On my stock motor and stock 3650 transmission I was running 11.3x at around 125mph with the Whipple. I ran 11.08 and 11.02 one day when the DA was about -200 :) You have to get the intercooled version of course and a bigger intercooler never hurts.

FordEvangelist

Established Member
If your oem motor is in good shape, you should be safe up to 500rwhp at around 12psi. Just keep lots of fuel available and don't be silly with the timing.

ROBSGBGT10

Established Member
I have been running a Whipple HO 550hp Twin Screw Supercharger (intercooled, this is the Gen II blower)
Ford Racing Tune (safe conservative tune)
Oversized heat exhanger
0 degree ford racing spark plugs
GT500 Fuel pump setup
And the key here is Safe conservative tune. This puts out 468RWHP...and I can say I have run it hard and it holds up. Been on the car for 20,000 miles and everything internaly looks good.

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
Honestly either of those would be a great choice, just make sure you spend the extra money making sure the fuel and tune are on point. That makes a world of difference. Also dont try to push the motors too hard with a blower, they put a little more stress on the internals compared to a turbo set up.

NOLACLS

Established Member
Back in 06 when I was looking for what I wanted I went whipple because (if I remember correctly and if all is the same now) it had new spark plugs and had the gt500 fuel system not a BAP like the KB kit. I have about 48k on my 06 and 95% was with the whipple and the motor still seems fine.

mooosestang

Established Member
Back in 06 when I was looking for what I wanted I went whipple because (if I remember correctly and if all is the same now) it had new spark plugs and had the gt500 fuel system not a BAP like the KB kit. I have about 48k on my 06 and 95% was with the whipple and the motor still seems fine.

Wow! You and I have almost the same miles and time on the motor/blower. I have just over 45,000 miles and installed the whipple at 12,000 miles in 07.

I bought the whipple for the same reasons you did. It also runs cooler than the KB.

Tech-Addiction

Established Member
I went with the 2.6L KB and it's been running the same JDM tune since 2008. Over 150 drag strip passes on the motor and it still runs strong. I just ran my fastest pass on the 6th of April this year. See Signature.

NOLACLS

Established Member
I went with the 2.6L KB and it's been running the same JDM tune since 2008. Over 150 drag strip passes on the motor and it still runs strong. I just ran my fastest pass on the 6th of April this year. See Signature.

14.5 psi huh...so tempting. I am at 12lbs...what kinda power numbers are you at with 14.5?

paulsauto

Established Member
I had a p1sc on my 06 for over a year no problems 455rwhp ran great 10 psi
It would launch better with the centrifugal blower and pull harder up top which helped traction that's why I stayed away from positive displacement
If you want tire fryer go with twin screw unless your always on drag radials

Cal26Stang

Established Member
I wouldn't get the KB if your planning on keeping stock internals, but like some people are saying, a pro charger is probably the best for what your wanting

Users who are viewing this thread