Whipple or Kenne Bell?

What twin screw supercharger manufacturer is better?

• Kenne Bell

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Whipple

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • PIIHB

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CV355

_
Established Member
Well, Whipple doesn't need to offer a liquid cooled version just to keep the rotor gears cool. I think it's accepted that KBs make way more heat than Whipples.

Nobody will ever admit this, nor does it really "mean" anything in the long run, but I called Kenne Bell in 2008 about developing a cooling jacket for the housing. A few emails and phone calls later, they said it could not be done and didn't make sense to do it. Also looked into an air cooled option but decided the water one was better. Almost two years later they unveiled the water cooled series. They worked absolutely fine without the extra cooling.

The thermodynamics of the systems differ greatly. Both units generate heat, but dispersion is different. The KB has higher adiabatic efficiency (at least on the 2.1 model that I based the study from- it was my college thesis, no I don't still have it unfortunately). A 100% adiabatic compression cycle adds no heat except for the compression itself (impossible scenario, generally). My thesis basically stated that even though the math worked out, the net difference is minimal and likely confounded by data and measurement methods.

I still cast my vote for the Kenne Bell. Their customer service is actually NOT as bad as everyone claims. However, they do address things with serious arrogance, so as long as you realize they know what they're talking about, all is well. I'm sure they get a lot of calls from people who screwed things up and are blaming them for it

Plus you don't see as many KBs as you do Whipples.

tl;dr: Maths. At the end of the day BOTH work and honestly there is too much data confounding to validate which one is more efficient when installed on the same vehicle. Bench tests don't perfectly emulate real-world scenarios. Just buy one and you'll be happy. Hell I have a stock (h)Eaton on my GT500 and I'm happy as hell with that.

So if I had to vote, I'd go Whipple since they are still innovating for the average guy. A bit more structured/larger, better longevity and better supply chain for parts when you consider their partnership with Ford and other OE's.

However, I hear so many good things about VMP, it's hard not to make that consideration.

Those are both excellent points to consider. Longevity is debatable though, based on use.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I believe the fastest GT500s in the country are all KB powered. Can anyone confirm?

Although ive heard their customer service was terrible

Whipples definitely look better though..

On the other hand, neither of these are OEM certified suppliers for obvious reasons. Eaton has world class quality/reliability. Plenty of lightnings out there with near 200k miles on the original blower and nothing more than an oil change.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@mc01svt That's very true about Eaton based products. They build absolutely solid parts, especially the TVS. As it is Id really want to consider a Gen 3, but the proprietary Throttle body pattern is proving unreliable, except when run with big cams. Indicates to me that there is a weakness in the monstrous plate width of the Gen 3 TB pattern with factory vacuum levels. My car will be a stock long block for at least a year or two after blower purchase before Ill be ready to put rods and cams in my 2011. The aftermarket community shouldnt be scrambling to have adapter plates made to make normal pattern TBs functional.

The famous low end grunt of the TVS is a well earned reputation, but Im confidant I want a Twin Screw for this next blower. Its the last blower I intend to purchase too.

Also, Whipple has been available from Ford Racing. Well, at least their 2.9L is as it was offered as the powerpack upgrade supercharger. The top dog supercharger available for the Cobra Jets from Ford were the Whipple 4.0L. Which is all information I forgot about lol.

One could also argue that Kenne Bell is no slouch. Shelby American exclusively uses KB in their Super Snake builds. Whether the price tag is worth it is another debate, but if they were unreliable it wouldn't be in there.

Last edited:

Wingrider

Established Member
I commented up thread, but my other factor was that the Ford Racing Whipple (and the Whipple kit directly) both are 50 state / California SMOG/CARB legal. You get big horsepower for those that can get that type of kit and if that's enough for you, you get to breeze through emissions testing just giving the tech an EO number. Then you can bounce back and forth with a tune if you still want a little more. VMP seems pretty sorted but not CARB legal. I think KB might have a smog legal kit, but I liked getting a fully sorted out kit that was vetted/tested by Ford Racing. Also didn't like the idea of having to run more cooling to the KB blower. Again, totally satisfied w the Whipple.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I believe the fastest GT500s in the country are all KB powered. Can anyone confirm?

upload_2018-8-24_10-42-26.png

Revan Racing, Inc. - Performance Parts for Late Model Mustangs

Pretty sure those are all KB cars...I could be wrong though. Van could confirm.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
2.9 Whipple on my 11, never an issue, so I don't know about their customer service.
( which is a good thing )
3.4 Whipple on my 14,..............& there are options besides black & chrome !!!

photo_1_1.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Pretty sure those are all KB cars...I could be wrong though. Van could confirm.

I thought Van was a Whipple man.

...& there are options besides black & chrome !!

Expensive options, though. Doesn't it add several hundred to the price for custom colors? When I got my kit, just getting a polished one would've been an extra $600. Good thing I'm fine with basic black.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
2.9 Whipple on my 11, never an issue, so I don't know about their customer service.
( which is a good thing )
3.4 Whipple on my 14,..............& there are options besides black & chrome !!!

View attachment 1510895
Is there still an EGR port on the 3.4? I assume this applies to the 4.0L as well?

(EDIT) Duh, they have to have EGR port for 50 state/CARB certification

Also, I have a Kinetik Motorsport Cranksaver Stud kit (ARP2000 stud) ready for installation to protect my crankshaft.

Blown 89

Established Member
I would go Whipple or VMP TVS.

FWIW Between my dad and I we probably had 5-6 KB blowers. All have leaked. My brand new 2.6L KB started leaking within 600 miles on the Lightning. It was filled per spec per the boost level/pulley ratio.
They repaired it, and it's leaking again. This time it's my brothers issue.
That was my experience in a nutshell as well as the people I knew with them as well.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Kenne Bell’s office is not big. They don’t have 50 people working at any time and only have a couple people there so customer service may be lacking for that reason but I have a kenne bell and I love it. If I were to consider another brand, it’d be a whipple. Kenne bells aren’t seen as often so I love when people gather around mine rather than see another whipple on another’s car.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

this should never be an excuse for poor customer service.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Liquid cooled 2.8 KB here. No problems in the 2 years I’ve had the car and don’t think the previous owner had issues when he had the car. I drive the car a lot. Put 10k miles on the car in 2 years and havnt had any problems. I like the KB cause it’s not common. If I were to choose a blower now I’d probably choose a tvs. Whipple doesn’t do anything for me.

CodyE

I have no experience with KB.

My dealings with Whipple, although not extensive, have been very positive. I installed the FRPP supercharger 624 hp kit based on the Whipple 2.3 a few years ago onto my mustang. Loved it. Decided I needed (not wanted) a bit more power. I called Whipple and discussed how to go about this. They explained that a smaller pulley would work with no other changes at my altitude just fine. No upsell for other items.

I ordered a pulley a couple of sizes smaller. Put it on and it was not perfectly aligned. Turns out Ford gave a slight different offset for their pulley that didn't match the standard. I called Whipple and the chap I spoke with knew right away what my issue was. Then, to my stunned amazement, he asked for my address and shipped a machined shim out right away for no charge. I would have gladly paid as it is a separate part but he told me not to worry as we would have to go through paperwork, possible customs and duties, etc and he wanted me up and running asap.

The blower has run perfectly for three years of daily driving and I couldn't be happier. I'm still amazed at how well they treated me when they had me over a barrel. Very impressive customer service/relations.

Well done, Whipple!

PS....My last name is not Whipple nor am I an employee, relative, friend or paid shill of Whipple.

dude the whipple guys had you over a barrel

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
Kenne Bell customer service is great when you can get them on the phone. They don't reply to emails tho lol. The main reason I went with Kenne Bell is because they look so much better than a Whipple. I'm not into the heat sink look, I'd rather have a big chunk of shiny polished Billet under my hood. Ill take the liquid cooling all day over heat sinks. Whipple customer service is awesome too in my experience, I just don't like the way their blowers look.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread