Whipple only on GT500? Discuss

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
So as a follow up to my previous blower thread, here's one more I was thinking about... Instead of all the little mods here and there, I was thinking of buying a whipple 2.9 and putting it on the car, stock. No tb, intake, etc. that with a tune. What type of power would this out down and what are your thoughts? Of course down the road, supporting mods will come.

Just learning about these GT500s and it helps me to understand by discussing various options.

Blackmax

Established Member
So as a follow up to my previous blower thread, here's one more I was thinking about... Instead of all the little mods here and there, I was thinking of buying a whipple 2.9 and putting it on the car, stock. No tb, intake, etc. that with a tune. What type of power would this out down and what are your thoughts? Of course down the road, supporting mods will come.

Just learning about these GT500s and it helps me to understand by discussing various options.

2.9 , 72lb injectors, BAP and you will put down 700 h.p. But without supporting mods to the rest of the car you will break and bend things.

Reis racing

Established Member
I've Thougth about this many, many and many times myself. This is what I think about this, if u want dyno # get a whipple or Kb, if u want street or track power out of the hole get a Tvs. If u like top end power and wanna make 700+ hp get the whipple or KB

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
If I understand your question correctly, you're really asking for thoughts about whether you should do some smaller mods and work up to a supercharger swap or just go straight to the swap.

Having been there and done that, I'd go straight to the swap. Several vendors put some excellent packages together on the KB 2.8, Whipple 2.9, and the TVS. You can read thread after thread arguing about what is the 'best'. I found, I progressed through the tune/pulley type mods so quickly that I would have been better off going straight to the Whipple 2.9.

In return you'll get 700ish WHP on pump gas. I had my car in this configuration for the past 2+ years and it's been awesome. If you think that car has some power in stock trim, wait until you get into it the first time after your new SC.

TORQJNKY

I'm looking to get a blower, but long term upgradability is important and retaining the stock hood. On that note, looking for max power with the only mod being the blower for now, and then as I upgrade the injectors, I can add more boost, as I get a BAP, I can add more boost, as I upgrade the internals, I can add more. You get the idea.

There are so many options out there and different sizes, it's hard to pick one. And I haven't really seen any good discussions comparing them. I think there should be some type of chart that lists some of the key components that many people ask, being what can I handle w/ stock injectors, stock motor, stock hood, etc.

So what are your suggestions? I want to be at 700rwhp and remain as 'quiet' as possible (stock exhaust) and as daily driver friendly as possible too.

My end goal isn't 700rwhp, my initial goal is 700rwhp. I want to get there with blower only and maybe one or two other mods. So I don't want to get a blower setup that will soon be outdated and doesn't have much potential past 700.

Down the road as I upgrade injectors, pump, exhaust, motor, etc, I want to keep building on that and be over 1000.

Above is what the OPs ultimate goals are.

Vrrooom, the stock intake and throttle body flow pretty good and would support your desires to basically swap blowers. As Blackmax said, I would think you could make 700RWHP easily with just the blower a set of bigger injectors and a BAP and add other mods later.

The clutch and rear axles are the weak point in this equation. I made 700RWHP with the stock 13 GT500 TVS, a 2.4 pulley, JLT intake, FRPP TB and tune. I rolled into the power without any clutch or axle issues but never launched it or did burnouts. If you go with a bigger blower first, you will just have to be careful and know that your clutch may eventually start slipping or you may bend a rear axle if you launch it hard with over 700RWHP.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Above is what the OPs ultimate goals are.

Vrrooom, the stock intake and throttle body flow pretty good and would support your desires to basically swap blowers. As Blackmax said, I would think you could make 700RWHP easily with just the blower a set of bigger injectors and a BAP and add other mods later.

The clutch and rear axles are the weak point in this equation. I made 700RWHP with the stock 13 GT500 TVS, a 2.4 pulley, JLT intake, FRPP TB and tune. I rolled into the power without any clutch or axle issues but never launched it or did burnouts. If you go with a bigger blower first, you will just have to be careful and know that your clutch may eventually start slipping or you may bend a rear axle if you launch it hard with over 700RWHP.

I asked this before and can't remember with all the different combos out there, does the Whipple fit under the stock hood without any modification? (Ie- lower engine mounts, etc)?

What type of 'rear' mods need to be done to prevent the axles from bending/breaking? In the 03 Cobra we just welded the TQ boxes.

TORQJNKY

I asked this before and can't remember with all the different combos out there, does the Whipple fit under the stock hood without any modification? (Ie- lower engine mounts, etc)?

What type of 'rear' mods need to be done to prevent the axles from bending/breaking? In the 03 Cobra we just welded the TQ boxes.

Yes it fits under the good with no mods. That's why I went with it vs something bigger, didn'twant to do a engine lowering kit or new hood.

Strange or Moser 31 splines, $300.00 and as your power goes up, maybe a Tru-Trac.

Last edited:

APMECH

Established Member

With just the 2.9 Whipple, with the larger pulley, everything else stock, with a tune, I would say you would be low to mid 600's for hp at the rear wheels. Then later you could crank up the boost and add other supporting mods. I think this is what you were asking right?

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
You have a pulley option with the 2.9. Either 3.25 or 3.00. Just slapping it on I don't see you getting 700. With injectors and BAP I still don't see 700 with just the blower alone. Maybe 3.0 pulley and 15% lower might be possible with race fuel.

TVS would be better in that instance because larger blowers move more air. No point in choking one. If you goal is 700 you can grab the blower and later upgrade. From a money aspect its what I would do. Blower and tune with 3.0 pulley I would think 620-30 with a conservative tune on 93, maybe 91. Once the bolt ons start the power really increases.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
With just the 2.9 Whipple, with the larger pulley, everything else stock, with a tune, I would say you would be low to mid 600's for hp at the rear wheels. Then later you could crank up the boost and add other supporting mods. I think this is what you were asking right?

Yep, exactly. You guys nailed it, thanks!

Eagle24

bad mamba jamba
Established Member
I essentially did this in my 09 gt500. I had a 2.9 whipple, I had the JLT 110MM intake on the stock TB. Well the blower was seeing 15psi pegging out the MAF it made 605HP 580TQ. Since you have the larger intake with stock everything I'm gonna say 610/590

Users who are viewing this thread