Whipple Installed!!!!

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
I am pleased to say, i have finished the install of my whipple supercharger this weekend! I started at around 4 pm friday, and had it running at 2:30 am Saturday morning. Whale i had the lower intake out i saw a lot of room for porting, so i did that as well. By the time i had that done i couldent feel my hands and had wrecked a $50 carbide bit! Im hopeing that effort went to good use, possibly a little better torque curve? Well heres the list of modifications I installed:

Black Whipple (gen 2) stock 3.5" upper
Accufab mono blade T.B.
4lb metco lower pully ring
4 100mm idlers (belt is EXTREMELY close)
JLT hi boost cold air intake (painted the same colour as my car)
60lbs Injectors
K.B. B.A.P.(40A relay wireing upgrade)
Snow performance Watter Methanal injection (Dual jet upgrade, installed in the lower intake so they spray just after the intercooler bolted to the blower)
S.C.T. maf 2600
3.2" alt pulley
dual Fans for my gords ford Intercooler (may or may not help?)
svt X3 tuner.

Now as for things that i would advise for people that want to install this stuff:

STOCK LOWER PULLY DOES NOT COME OFF!!!
lol! I had 3!!! guys pulling on a snap-on pry bar (3' long) with a 4' bar on top of that for more leverage! and still did not pop!
We had to stop in fear of braking somthing, the snap-on pry bar was starting to bend beond what looked normal..
The way that we finaly got it off was a bit crude but worked with a HELL of a lot less stress.. I had one friend in the car in 6 gear with his foot on the brake, one guy pulling on the pry bar(not hard at all) and i took my air hammer and just tapped the spoke of the pulley in a clockwise fashion and POP! it came loose.

When the stock lower comes off, I would strongly advise that you use some kind of thread restoring kit and restore the threads that are on the stock lower(used to mount new lower) just to be on the safe side, they looked a bit rusty on mine. Dont forget your locktite! I also found the way that the bolts went in felt like they were stripping at the end.. must be those washers they supply you with the kit. ( i think they were crush washers)

Also if you choose not to use the bracket on the side of the new Whippler you must replace the bolts (put them back in the holes) because for some strange reason thiese bolt holes are vaccuum ports! (found that out the hard way lol!)

Other then that i took my time and did not rush and im sure if you do the same you will not have any problems. The car started right up with just a base tune it purrrrrs like a kitten. The whippler did make a strange noise appon first start up that lasted about half a seccond( like gears grinding) but im assuming that was just the oil going through as it hasent done it again.

My car made a strong 406hp and 399 tq on a mustang dyno with just a intake and full exhaust. stock motor no pullies.

AS soon as i get it tuned i will let you guys know my new numbers..

I would also like to take the time to thank those who have shared there stories in the past as a ton of my information and research has come from this site.. Thank you!!

Andrew

PS: I would love to post pictures but i have no idea how to do that? Always makes the thread better!

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
subscribing....i want to see what happens with the 4lb lower and the 3.5 upper. what timing & octane fuel are you going to run?

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
you have the exact same setup as i do. i ported the living hell out of my lower intake, it is amazing how much material can be takin out of there. i made 605/566. that is with 17 degrees, and 93 octane, on a safe fat tune...this thing scares the shit out of me.

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
you have the exact same setup as i do. i ported the living hell out of my lower intake, it is amazing how much material can be takin out of there. i made 605/566. that is with 17 degrees, and 93 octane, on a safe fat tune...this thing scares the shit out of me.

you have a 4lb lower?

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member

I made very similar power with 17* and 91 octance on 15psi with the 2.3L Whipple. I put down 610 RWHP/565 RWTQ.

Can't wait to see what the OP throws down! :banana:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
...Also if you choose not to use the bracket on the side of the new Whippler you must replace the bolts (put them back in the holes) because for some strange reason thiese bolt holes are vaccuum ports! (found that out the hard way lol!)...

I found that out the hard way also. :lol1:

I actually removed the Whipple and then reinstalled it again before I found the culprit...those two holes in the side of the case!:cuss:

Last edited:

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
well today i did the ppvr delete. That filler neck is a pain in the a** to get out!!! but did you guys know that you can do this just using the gates 3/8 hose? no need to buy the "kit".

Well after that was done i did my first test run today (still no full tune) and i went around a corner and just RESTED my foot on the petal and a completly different wine came from my hood, and almost pegged my boost gauge!!! (20 psi max) oh my ...... I got that feeling back when i first drove this car... Simply amazing..

How do i post pictures? i have a ton to share!

fr03cobra

Established Member
re

:shrug:why not just put a 3.0 upper on the whipple same boost as 3.5 upper and 4 lb lower???

but congrats.:rockon:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
well today i did the ppvr delete. That filler neck is a pain in the a** to get out!!! but did you guys know that you can do this just using the gates 3/8 hose? no need to buy the "kit".

Well after that was done i did my first test run today (still no full tune) and i went around a corner and just RESTED my foot on the petal and a completly different wine came from my hood, and almost pegged my boost gauge!!! (20 psi max) oh my ...... I got that feeling back when i first drove this car... Simply amazing..

How do i post pictures? i have a ton to share!

photobucket:beer:

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
my tuner said he just gave me a file from a guy that had the same set up as i do.. Im going for the full tune this wednesday!

fr03cobra

Established Member
make sure you order a FPRS disk from kenne bell I've blown 2 so far.(FPRS)

You need to upgrade the clutch too. stock will slip all day long.lol

Last edited:

sonicblur03

Established Member
Good for you man, I have a new whipple 2.3 sitting on my table and all the supporting mods and am having the car done within two weeks and I can't wait

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
only thing i wish i would have done is not put the TR6 plugs in. i hate the way they idle and part throttle low rpm cruising. i will be swapping those back out for iridiums.

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
Numbers are in!!!

After some small problems, had to change to tr6ix plugs, re wire meth injection. I got a final number of

589hp and 566qt at the wheels on a mustang dyno!!

20 degrees of timing, 89% duty cycle on pumps with 94 octane fuel.

we logged the down streem intake temp (iat2)

before the meth it started at 100 @ 3000rpm then went to 159ish at 6500 rpm.

Then with the meth on progressive the temps started at 120 @3k then actually went DOWN to 100@ 6500rpm!!

with the meth tune he programed a a/f of 12.0 but the meth added fuel to blow a safe 11.4 a/f.

He said this was a safe tune to start.. nothing agressive.
He also said that when i was ready to install long tubes and well get it over 6 no problem.

So i did some wot pulls on the way home, the car felt great! strong as hell! It spins the tires in 5th!!!! (555r's not on yet lol)

im happy with the results.. what do you guys think? am i right where i should be?

Users who are viewing this thread