Whipple install

crucianpilot

Feel the need for speed!
Established Member
Getting ready to have my 3.4 whipple with 3.5 inch pulley installed and have a couple of questions:

1. What size belt is everyone using? I have a 86.4 inch blue belt that Van suggested.

2. Are you using a metco idler or not?

I already have a vmp 90 mm idler installed from my previous setup. Will that be enough to avoid belt slip?

Asking because a couple of friends with whipple blowers said I would need the metco and a longer belt because they did on their cars. However, the belt they had to get was only available in 12 rib so it had to be trimmed to 10 ribs to fit. They are driving 07 gt500s so not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't offer a recommendation on belt length due to differences between our configurations, but I have a Whipple 2.9 with 3.0" pulley, VMP 90mm idler, and Gates blue belt from Van... no slip whatsoever. I upgraded from the original belt with Metco aux idler pulley because I was getting belt slip. I had slightly more belt wrap around the supercharger pulley with the Metco aux idler, but my current setup works and looks better.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I have the longest belt lethal performance sold on mine. It works on the 4.0 and 3.5 pulley, but i have a 10% lower as well. I have the division x idler and thump tensioner. Just know you make ALOT of boost with a 3.5 pulley. Car is too violent so i usually leave the 4.0 on it.

STTOCK

The Man
Established Member
Got a good deal on the whipple. Also heard the customer service at Kenne Bell wasn't very good.
Have you installed your 3.4 yet? I'm picking up one today and doing the install next week. Pumped! I'm going to be making my own spacers and purchasing some adjustable motor mounts from Lethal. Good luck

Wingrider

Established Member
Got a good deal on the whipple. Also heard the customer service at Kenne Bell wasn't very good.

Congrats on the deal! I've been stuck back and forth for some time and *thought* I had moved to the Whipple camp. I read some stuff from a trusted source that has me back on the fence damn it. I coach and do HPDE events at Laguna and Sonoma and really need something that can take 15-20 minutes of abuse. Plus spending this amount of coin I don't want to regret the decision.

crucianpilot

Feel the need for speed!
Established Member
Have you installed your 3.4 yet? I'm picking up one today and doing the install next week. Pumped! I'm going to be making my own spacers and purchasing some adjustable motor mounts from Lethal. Good luck

Not yet, have to break in my RXT first so I can get the whipple installed. Need about another 200 miles before I can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread