Whipple blowers

Brent Davis

Established Member
I have searched and do not see lots of whipple kits being used for the 5.0 engines. Is there a problem with them? My plan is to get a built MMR bottom end and a 2.9 whipple blower but have not ruled out the TVS blower either.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
No problems with them as a rule but if you go 2.9 and up the boost you may want to go with an 8 or 10 rib drive kit.
You don't see a lot of Whipples because the TVS kit is cheaper while making great power.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Is this true also for the kenne bells? Don't seem to see a lot of them at all. As op said whipples also are rare

mbreaux05

Established Member
I'm starting to research whipples now due to another blown motor with tvs. That makes I believe 4, that are reported.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I'm starting to research whipples now due to another blown motor with tvs. That makes I believe 4, that are reported.

As far as power and torque delivery go the TVS and Whipple are very similar, if motor fatigue is a worrying issue you'll be better served with a centrifugal style supercharger IMO.

Brent Davis

Established Member
Yeah it doesn't matter if it's a Whipple or TVS, you can blow an engine with either. I haven't seen a huge price difference from kit to kit myself being that you look at the 2.3 options of both. It's just when you do the 2.9 Whipple option that is a tuner only kit is the price difference(s).

I tell you though, the Paxton sure does look good for the cost but man does the PD blowers look factory and still make equivalent power to the Centrifugals. Anyways, just asking about why not many Whipples posting up.

Thanks,

stangn

Established Member
I've had 2.9 on my car for over a year. I'm Only making 9 pounds of boost Which is low for a big supercharger, but motor build is starting so I can turn it up.

by9468840

Established Member
It is not the tvs blowing up the engines.
Tune and/or power is killing them. It is very wrong to blame the rotor design of a pd blower. You hear more about tvs destroyed engines only because there are many of us running them.

mystickb1996

Established Member
so lb for lb has anyone noticed a difference? stangn you said your running 9 psi? what did that put down 559? on a tvs on 9lb isnt it close to 600+? ha yes to say you looking into a whipple cuz the tvs is blowing motors would be incorrect, its the instant hp ppl are throwing at a stock block/high CR/with boost which is a recipe for disaster if not tuned perfect..

stangn

Established Member
My tune pulls a lot of timing up top. I don't want to kill the motor just to say I made this or that! I know it's got a lot left in it that's for sure. My car has BMR suspension ( no relocate brackets) and is stock auto with no converter and a 3:80 gear. This past weekend it went 11:27, 11:25 and 11:18 at 127 with low 1.7 60' times. It's not the badest thing around but I'm happy so far and it'll go round after round like that no matter how hot it gets.

NickSezz

Established Member
Ever see the 2013-2014 Cobra Jets? 2.9L Whipple Coyote.

400084_3202892433864_1312708045_33363370_965299735_n.jpg

14-2013-mustang-cobra-jet-test.jpg

2014-ford-mustang-cobra-jet-engine.jpg

They work very well. : )

The Roush TVS kit is more affordable for most and make plenty of power for the stock short block. The comparable Whipple 2.3L is just as good IMO but does cost slightly more than the Roush TVS.

My car made 592/500 on 10PSI with the 2.3 Whipple and a very mild 12* tune for 93 pump gas. I chose the Whipple due to the look of it and the blower whine : )

Our top two supercharger kits right now:

2011-2014 Mustang GT 5.0 Whipple 650 HP Power Package - JDM Engineering

2011-2014 Mustang GT 5.0 Ultimate Roush TVS Supercharger Package W/ ID1000's - JDM Engineering

If the 2.9 is what you are after, PM me for pricing and I will put together a complete kit for you.

burke985

Established Member
TVS is blowing motors because people are pushing them too far on stock internals. You can probably dig up tons of blown motor threads with these cars with all types of blowers, if your scared to blow your shit up leave it alone .

Last edited:

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Like mentioned, the Whipples are a little more when comparing the 2.3L compressors, and they make similar power, so that's why you'll see more TVS' running around than the Whipple. But if you want to make big power, Whipple is the only way to go with the 2.9L or 4.0L offerings. We had a 2.9L on a stock 2011 GT, just had ARH exhaust and a JLT 123mm cai making 13-14 psi and it made 735rwhp and ran 136+mph in the 1/4.

We're Whipple's largest US distributor and have used several of their compressors in different applications. So, if you have any questions, feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email.

Thanks.

grabberblue

Established Member
Yeah all depends how well the car is tuned and how much you push your car. I have a tvs running 10lbs and a bunch of other supporting mods making 650 and 580 and no issues yet but I still haven't really beat on it or taken it to the track...only time will tell lol both blowers are still great all depends what you want to do power wise.

Brent Davis

Established Member
if your scared to blow your shit up leave it alone .

LMAO, this is true.

As already stated, it isn't fair to blame the TVS blower for engine failures. It's just there are many of them out over other PD blowers. I personally like the look of the Whipple better and that is one mean blower in the form of 2.9 let alone even the baddazz 4.0

NickSezz, yes PM me a price for the 2.9 complete kit.

Thanks,

Brent Davis

Established Member
Lethal your information is what I looked at as well........the upgradable head units from 2.3, 2.9 and the 4.0 is available. That car made great power at that boost level but why just 136-138 MPH with that HP? Some blower cars run 140+ with less HP.

I want all to know that I AM NOT disapproving of the TVS blower at all......heck I might end up owning one of them if I can't ge the right prices to line up for the 2.9 Whipple but I would think that lb. for lb. of boost, the bigger 2.9 would create more power and less heat than the 2.3 TVS, that's all. DEFINATELY no pun intended to the TVS blower owners at all. I've seen many videos and even see you gusy post great HP and track results using the TVS blowers. There's one guy that is running consistent 9.70's with a TVS and that is just plain baddazz to the bone for our heavy cars.

NickSezz

Established Member
LMAO, this is true.

As already stated, it isn't fair to blame the TVS blower for engine failures. It's just there are many of them out over other PD blowers. I personally like the look of the Whipple better and that is one mean blower in the form of 2.9 let alone even the baddazz 4.0

NickSezz, yes PM me a price for the 2.9 complete kit.

Thanks,

PM sent :beer:

TimMcC

Brougham
Established Member
I loved my Whipple 2.3 I had on my prior 11 5.0. But, if doing it again, I'd just do the tvs or a Paxton as it they are so cost effective and I'd make the same 590 rwhp or so... I'd put the savings elsewhere.

mbreaux05

Established Member
I guess I should have put more detail. I know its not the tvs that blowing these motors, its the HP/TQ/tune. Im looking into 2.3 whipple now because I dont plan/need to go over 550 RWHP. Still havent ruled out the TVS though. Looking at justins VMP kit, I k now he can dial the tune down to 550. I just like the whipple whine :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread