Whipple at 19 psi on stock motor?

CannibalCobra

Established Member
I just bought a whipple (old stlye) off of a car that injected racing is doing a twin turbo setup on.

I have a BAP, MAFextender, 60 lb injectors, and i'm getting it dyno tuned.

Will i be ok to run 15 psi on 93 octane and 19 psi on 111 octane? Will the motor last?

What kind of numbers would you expect at 19 psi? Right now I have an FIPK and exhuast (stock headers).

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
From what I have seen most of the stock motors with KB's and whipple's that run high boost will break eventually it depends how hard you run the car.IMHO

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
new motor

I am running a 3.25 upper on the old Whipple and 4lb lower......19.5 boost......twin focus, 60lb injectors, custom rails, 1/2 fuel line, good tune on 93 octane, blah blah blah.......I am looking to rebuild my blown motor......lasted about 100 miles

03outlaw

Established Member
Depends

It is all in the tune and FUEL! If you have a Whipple or a KB mix your fuel. Forget 93 octane, At least 95+. According to a good friend of mine 111 is over kill and will end up killing your 02 sensors. I use straight 103, now I also put about 500 miles a year on the car so the wallet does not get hit real bad. Also run more on the conservative side when it comes to AF. I would like to know the AF of these guys blowing their engines. Also remember the temp out side plays a roll as well. :beer:

Fang

Established Member
Sambandit is now on a aftermarket block. I run 19psi but I am at altitude. Holding up for now.

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
tune

it was not my tune.......11.3 - 11.5 nice and smooth.... I honestly think I had a bum piston / cylinder from the get go.....my HP and TQ numbers were always a little lower than others with same mods.......kinda glad I am getting a built motor.

who would you use?

CannibalCobra

Established Member
John Himsel said:
I am running a 3.25 upper on the old Whipple and 4lb lower......19.5 boost......twin focus, 60lb injectors, custom rails, 1/2 fuel line, good tune on 93 octane, blah blah blah.......I am looking to rebuild my blown motor......lasted about 100 miles

could it have been 19.5 lbs on 93 octane? i plan on running race gas. but i think i'll go with 17 lbs.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
Well my car blue up from injected racing tuning! It will be fine just make sure you get the best tuner out there.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You should be fine if you stick to the parameters that you listed and have a great tune.

-Jeff

SlowSVT

Established Member
On a stock block engine running that much boost you will have problems, count on it! At 93 octane I would go no higher then 16 perhaps 17 lbs. It's all a matter of degree. The more you push it the greater the likelyhood of something going wrong. Ultimately you will have more fun with a reliable car then one that gives you constant grief.

HawkMech

Wildhorses Rule!!!
Established Member
I agree with SlowSVT. Most information seems to show that the safe limit for stock internals is around 16-17psi. I've been running 17lbs for over a year now on a stock block without any issues (knock on wood), but I have a lot of faith in my tuners abilities as well.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
He is going to be running 111 on 19 PSI. He will be fine if he sticks to that.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I will say this though just so that I am not misleading. On your average 03/04 stock short block anything over 575-590 is borrowed time.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
If you use 111 all the time, you could prolong your stock SB for a long time. But, anywhere near 600 RWHP on pump is asking for trouble. It may not go today, or tomorrow, but it will happen.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
So is it 17 or 19 lbs? With 17 and 111 your motor should last a very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread