Whipple and 3.31's

The Red Monster

COP SWAP harness guy
Established Member
Ok I have seen lots of posts about people using the 3.31's with the PD blowers on our cars and I may be making the switch.

When I bought my car it had 4.10's in it and i can say with the MT82 you don't stay in any gear very long at all, and now with the 2.3 Whipple it makes every gear almost useless without slicks. Also I am not too excited about going into 5th gear at the track.

What would be a good gear to go to? I see the 3.31's and it seems that it allows the blower to do more of the work rather than the gear.

What are people topping out at in 4th with the 3.31's?

I currently cruise on the streets with my MT DR's which are 29.2" tall and at the track I will be on 28x10.5 MT Slicks.

Just looking for ideas because the 4.10's are crazy insane but again traction and 5th gear in the 1/4 mile are issues i want to address.

ironreaper23

Established Member
I had 3.73s with the MT82 and my Roush setup... traction was an issue. You'll give up a small amount initial acceleration (the whipple has you covered there), but you'll stay in 4th to almost redline at the finish of the 1/4.

Assuming 28" tire with 3.31 gears:
3.31MT82.png

As opposed to your current 4.10s with 28" tire:
410MT82.png

Last edited:

SL0W5.0

Established Member
i cant give any input as far as drag racing, because i dont do much of it. but if you ever drive your car on the street it will be much much better and enjoyable with the 3.31 gears in it. You can actually make use of the power and don't have to be going 80mph+ to have traction. i went from 3.73 to 3.27 and i would do it again in a heartbeat. I cant even imagine 4.10's on a car with over over 450whp...

Users who are viewing this thread