whipple 4.0???

freiday13

Established Member
hey guys im thinking about ordering the new whipple 4.0 for my 2004 cobra. i really dont know alot on this supercharger if u guys have any info for me i would appreciate it alot thanks.

Teej281

Established Member
Unless youre running 24+psi, I'd be running a smaller blower. I wouldnt run larger than a 2.9 unless you are going for that much boost.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Do you have a stock cobra 4.6? If so it would be pointless to run this blower, you need a VERY strong motor to run this blower like it should be. Pushing 16lbs through it would be completly worthless IMHO!

freiday13

Established Member
ya it is a big blower but i plan on building the engine up alot more but i do kno the stock long blocks can handle alot of power before they give
here is my parts list i have done so far im just asking i really want to get the most i can.

Engine;

2.8 blower pulley 13+ lbs boost
Steeda idler kit
boost bypass kit
JLT cold air intake
NGK plugs
Predator tuner
AFCO dual pass intercooler
Lethal perf. intercooler res tank
Moroso alum rad tank
pro chamber mid pipe
SLP mufflers

Tranny;

D&D T-56 close ratio 6 speed FRPP model (Brand new) 1000 miles
Centerforce clutch
billet flywheel
B&M shifter
steeda clutch quadrant & cable
billet firewall adj.
Alum. driveline

Rear susp;

Full SRA 8.8" swap
Detroit locker
Moser 31 spline axles
Richmond 3.73s
Trick flow bearing girdle
HPM upper/lower control arms
Drop springs
Comp. eng. drag shocks (Tokico HPs are on the way, backordered)

Front susp;

UPR chromoly K member
UPR chromoly arms
Tokico struts
QA 1 springs
Coil over kit
Eibach sway bar

other crap;

Innovate wide-band guage
Cobalt boost guage
Black cobra rims, 10.5" rear
Nitto drag radials
Rear mounted batt.

gabe1530

Banned
i would not go with anything larger than a 2.9l.
with that being said you need to figure out what goals you want with this cobra.

how much boost are you looking to run?
what fuel do you want to use?
track/drag or street?

freiday13

Established Member
my goal is to make it in the 800 hp range low 9 in the quarter i was wanting the the 3.4 whipple with the crusher kit but then i saw this sys and i thought it would be better for what i want to get out of my car

gabe1530

Banned
for the cost and efficiency of this setup completed, i think it would be better to go turbo. not trying to burst your 4.0 whipple bubble or anything i just dont see it worth it in the long run.
just thinking about changing plugs has me cringing.

wilderyzed

Established Member
If I could afford one I'd have one its just plain massive lol the horsepower is judged based on how far you wanna go with fuel delivery and fuel itself. I think this thing would be nasty with Q16 and 28+ psi boost but thats the extreme. Its still prob gonna make 650rwhp on a 93 tune and the sound of that big thing is fantastic. Its more of an egotistic thing for me I guess that thing would like real nice sitting on top of my motor :D spend it if you got it otherwise 2.9

04cobrawhine

Established Member
be prepared to break lots of crank snouts/crankshafts. trying to spin that blower is going to put enormous stress on the crankshaft.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
the larger the displacement blowers are not as efficient under lower boost. if you just want to run like 16- 20 pounds of boost a smaller supercharger will work perfectly.

with a bigger blowers you might not be making as much hp at lower boost but you always have the ability to crank up the boost. and the power is almost limitless.

GodStang

Established Member
the larger the displacement blowers are not as efficient under lower boost. if you just want to run like 16- 20 pounds of boost a smaller supercharger will work perfectly.

with a bigger blowers you might not be making as much hp at lower boost but you always have the ability to crank up the boost. and the power is almost limitless.

Yes but he needs to plan for the future. He may install a Stroked 5.4L with P&P ford GT heads in the future. So I say hell ya get the 4.0L. You engine does not have to work as hard to make the boost since it only has to be turned like 1 time to make 50psi. Why install what is best for his setup. Think how cool people will think you are having a 4.0L blower. I was going to get it but holding out for the 7.0L Whipple.

freiday13

Established Member
ya these are all good points but im looking at it like ya i may not use all the power this blower can make right now but with time i think i could but i stil rather have the 3.4 but i love the sound of the 2.9.i was looking at the turbo set ups but the twin kit would get me about 9 grand plus then building the engine idk i was just wanting to ask some other poeple to get the thought on this

Users who are viewing this thread