Whipple 3.4 or Kenne Bell Mammoth!!!

kbturbo

Established Member
Just got into a low mileage O3 cobra and was looking at a blower upgrade. The car made 547 and 635 on a stock engine, ported steggy, with a dry 85 shot. Torn between a 3.4 and a mammoth. I plan on keeping the internals sock as long as I can. What power are you making with either blower. what boost are you pushing on the stock motor! any help on this is appreciated!!!

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Whipple 3.4 without a doubt. This coming from someone who has owned 2 Kenne Bell superchargers. If you didnt know the KB 2.8 (mammoth) requires a lot of altering for a Cobra. The 3.4 has still not been maxed out to its full potential either so it has plenty of room left for improvement.

evolve

Established Member
Whipple 3.4 without a doubt. This coming from someone who has owned 2 Kenne Bell superchargers. If you didnt know the KB 2.8 (mammoth) requires a lot of altering for a Cobra. The 3.4 has still not been maxed out to its full potential either so it has plenty of room left for improvement.

Please elaborate on the "alterations" needed

snakebite6

Established Member
Im pretty sure you have to move the intake because the inlet on the supercharger is on the other side. Plus bigger injectors and all that jazz.

kbturbo

Established Member
the 3.4 seems to be much cheaper, that's why I'm questioning it. The car already has 90lb injectors! I hope to keep the motor stock, but would like to get closer to the 700hp range what boost are you guys running on your stock motor with an aftermarket blower?

garbonzo1991gt

Flying Monkey Commander
Established Member
I just finished the install of a Mammoth setup on my Cobra. The instructions are well written and the pics are awesome. It was a hell of a lot of work but totally worth it. 18psi 601HP and 540TQ and the clutch was slipping... So, That'll be my next mod. It was only 105 degrees and 80 percent humidity that day in the shop too... Hahaha. You have to extend 5 harnesses for sensors that are relocated, The battery switches sides and the intake is now on the drivers side. It took me 4 days at about 8-12 hours a day to do the work. The kit came with absolutely everything you need other than tools(with the exception of the fuel line release tool and a torx bit for the IAT2 sensor.) If you have any more questions about it just send me a PM.

Tremor

NO MERCY
Op

Purchase the 3.4 Whipple

The money you save vs the kb use towards the suspension.

Either option will make sick power, i hope you can put it down where it counts.

Keep us posted

-Jose

03COBRA-88

Established Member
There is a member here who made over 700rwhp on the stock motor with a kenne bell 2.8. Hopefully he'll chime in soon.

ellis4

Established Member
I wanted to go with one of the bigger blowers.. But lately I've been seeing some blocks breaking in very similar ways with the big TS blowers. Some people believe that the people making 700+ on the big blowers are reaching the breaking point for the cylinder pressures on the stock block. This is the thread I'm referencing. It's over on modfords. Good info in the thread. [ame="http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138367"]Broken Block, I mean really broken! - ModularFords.com[/ame]

If you want to hit big numbers reliably go turbo. If you want a fast street car that will last go with a smaller TS. I just bought a kb 2.2L and if I ever want to run any more HP than that I'll just save my coin for turbos.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
^^^^+1! OP if you want to keep the shortblock intact for a while than running a 3.4 or 2.8 on high boost is not the right answer! Go with a smaller twin screw and run 15#. Then your shortblock will last and you can still have 550+ rwhp reliably and not have to worry about your shortblock. All engines have a breaking point.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Just got into a low mileage O3 cobra and was looking at a blower upgrade. The car made 547 and 635 on a stock engine, ported steggy, with a dry 85 shot. Torn between a 3.4 and a mammoth. I plan on keeping the internals sock as long as I can. What power are you making with either blower. what boost are you pushing on the stock motor! any help on this is appreciated!!!

I am currently running a Whipple 3.4 it has about 1000 miles on it, I am actually thinking of trying the manmouth. The Whipple is an awesome SC it is currently running 22lbs of boost with pump gas and torco.

Chris@bap and I were talking about this last night and I want to try the manmouth with my current setup I have the potential to gain another 50-100HP just bolting it on. Mr. O is almost at 700HP.

Let me know what you decide.:burnout::burnout::rockon:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Whipple 3.4 with the crusher inlet!!!!

Man that crusher addition is like $2500 I believe that just stinks(meaning price)

My whipple has been maintenance free and works flawlessly.

MODS to support were 60lb injectors, KB BAP, 255 fuel pumps and fiore hat, LT headers, 3 inch full exhaust, larger fuel line, aftermarket k-member.

NITROS COBRA

Established Member
man that crusher addition is like $2500 i believe that just stinks(meaning price)

my whipple has been maintenance free and works flawlessly.

Mods to support were 60lb injectors, kb bap, 255 fuel pumps and fiore hat, lt headers, 3 inch full exhaust, larger fuel line, aftermarket k-member.

crusher add on is $1,600 i believe.

lucheski

Established Member
I wanted to go with one of the bigger blowers.. But lately I've been seeing some blocks breaking in very similar ways with the big TS blowers. Some people believe that the people making 700+ on the big blowers are reaching the breaking point for the cylinder pressures on the stock block. This is the thread I'm referencing. It's over on modfords. Good info in the thread. Broken Block, I mean really broken! - ModularFords.com

If you want to hit big numbers reliably go turbo. If you want a fast street car that will last go with a smaller TS. I just bought a kb 2.2L and if I ever want to run any more HP than that I'll just save my coin for turbos.

With the big blowers there are issues with the snout of the crankshaft (keyway and support). But far as broken blocks go there is a turbo guy overon modfords making similar power who also broke his block.

Users who are viewing this thread