Whipple 3.4 or Kenne Bell 2.8H

RedfireCobl2a

Established Member
Im looking to see which one is better in cobra owners' opinion. I know the Kenne Bell is about 1800 more but is it worth the price? Do i need to upgrade any internals with either supercharger?? Thanks for the input. I need to make a decision SOON!!

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Where are you getting your prices from? The KB 2.8H is not $1800 more than the Whipple 3.4!

Direct from Kenne Bell - the 03-04 Cobra 2.8H is $3649.00
From Lethal Performance - the Whipple 3.4 is $3704.99

Personally I think they are both great blowers. I have owned a KB 2.2 in the past and loved it, and have installed a Whipple 3.4 for a friend and was impressed with it as well. I would be happy with either!

flip a coin, because your going to get all kinds of answers!:beer:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I was doubting the price thing too :shrug: I would have gone 3.4 if it was out when I got my KB I think :shrug:

edit: Do I :shrug: too much?? :shrug:

Last edited:

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
the real question is, do you need either of these twin screw superchargers?

whipple 3.4l was designed to make continious 26+ psi, both of these superchargers were made for race applications. cars that had larger then stock engine displacement, aftermarket, cams, pistons, ported heads, ect.

to make these superchargers shine you will need a massive upgrade to your engine and fuel system. i would say go with which ever makes you happy... but unless your re vamping your entire car and fuel system... as well as running race gas and 24+psi it is a waste of time and money to argue or to even get either supercharger.

if its a street car get a older kenne bell.... or new 2.6h kb or new whipple 2.3l

with either of these superchargers you can have mid psi range 15-19 and on regular pump gas you can make 600rwhp(17+psi). lots of guys with stock engines, and 18-20 psi on 2.8h and 3.4l are making same hp as the smaller superchargers and sometimes lower.

sorry you asked for my 2 cents

Last edited:

RedfireCobl2a

Established Member
Yeah i was talking about the mammoth kit... so i can get a 2.6 and still not have to upgrade the interals?.. here are my plans..... 2.6l kenne bell, returnless fuel system from lfp, upgrade rear end, 26 spline input shaft, mafia/ diablo, spec 3 clutch, uprgraded half shafts, 60 lbs injectors?

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
the real question is, do you need either of these twin screw superchargers?

whipple 3.4l was designed to make continious 26+ psi, both of these superchargers were made for race applications. cars that had larger then stock engine displacement, aftermarket, cams, pistons, ported heads, ect.

to make these superchargers shine you will need a massive upgrade to your engine and fuel system. i would say go with which ever makes you happy... but unless your re vamping your entire car and fuel system... as well as running race gas and 24+psi it is a waste of time and money to argue or to even get either supercharger.

if its a street car get a older kenne bell.... or new 2.6h kb or new whipple 2.3l

with either of these superchargers you can have mid psi range 15-19 and on regular pump gas you can make 600rwhp(17+psi). lots of guys with stock engines, and 18-20 psi on 2.8h and 3.4l are making same hp as the smaller superchargers and sometimes lower.

sorry you asked for my 2 cents

I'm sorry but your entire post is a common misconception of big blowers and entirely incorrect. There are over a half dozen of us on the other website who have all outlined our low boost 3.4L Whipple builds and we're making great power with pump gas.

There are at least two cars with stock heads, stock cams and stock displacement making 680+ RWHP with the 3.4L Whipple on pump gas. My car being one of them, and I've made that power level for over 6k miles. I'm running the blower at 21 PSI and it's working out just fine for me. My blower just has the ability to spin higher and make more power if I want it to later on.

Both kits will make power. I had a 2.2L KB before, I decided to give Whipple a try. I'm happy.

svtrookie

Established Member
Does the 3.4 whipple require you to modify the hood? That thing looks huge! What supporting mods do you need to do a 3.4 set up on a stock motor? Same as the 2.3?

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
It depends on the pulley, if your going with a small upper then no I don't believe you have to. if its the supplied pulley or just a little bit smaller than I think a small modifcation of the hood is in order.... from ym understanding its not a big deal.

NITROS COBRA

Established Member
3.4L WHIPPLE ALL THE WAY:

11.jpg

003-5.jpg

stanzione88

Established Member
if you dont plan on building the motor get a small supercharger such as 2.3 or 2.6. If you want to go big for the future do a 3.4L with upgraded inlet :rockon: and be ready make some big horsepower.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Yeah i was talking about the mammoth kit... so i can get a 2.6 and still not have to upgrade the interals?.. here are my plans..... 2.6l kenne bell, returnless fuel system from lfp, upgrade rear end, 26 spline input shaft, mafia/ diablo, spec 3 clutch, uprgraded half shafts, 60 lbs injectors?

Throw a Throttle Body into your list. That should cover you and put you around or over the 600RWHP mark.

Whippedmach

Established Member
I'm sorry but your entire post is a common misconception of big blowers and entirely incorrect. There are over a half dozen of us on the other website who have all outlined our low boost 3.4L Whipple builds and we're making great power with pump gas.

There are at least two cars with stock heads, stock cams and stock displacement making 680+ RWHP with the 3.4L Whipple on pump gas. My car being one of them, and I've made that power level for over 6k miles. I'm running the blower at 21 PSI and it's working out just fine for me. My blower just has the ability to spin higher and make more power if I want it to later on.

Both kits will make power. I had a 2.2L KB before, I decided to give Whipple a try. I'm happy.

? about your 3.4l how much timing are u running and what pulleys are on that whipple. im just curios as i get min tuned in two weeks and my tuner thinks that only high 5's are safe for my motor and low sixes are very iffy on pump, anything higher and he says i need race gas. i have a 04mach with a fully built short block 15cc pistons, ported heads gt cams 80#hr injectors headers and all the supporting mods, i have a 4inch and a 3.5inch pulley i was gonna keep it pump with torco this summer and winter and run race fuel next summer.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
? about your 3.4l how much timing are u running and what pulleys are on that whipple. im just curios as i get min tuned in two weeks and my tuner thinks that only high 5's are safe for my motor and low sixes are very iffy on pump, anything higher and he says i need race gas. i have a 04mach with a fully built short block 15cc pistons, ported heads gt cams 80#hr injectors headers and all the supporting mods, i have a 4inch and a 3.5inch pulley i was gonna keep it pump with torco this summer and winter and run race fuel next summer.

Timing is up to the tuner and I don't want to give all that away. I'd recommend using him though, as I know he tuned at least 2 of the cars I'm referring to. I run a 3.8 Upper pulley with the stock lower and I know I don't run race gas, although my tuner would prefer I ran torco. Unfortunately for my short block I'm lazy and I don't like dumping a can of Torco in any tank. So far, about 6k miles, I haven't had a problem. Even with the timing turned down my car made 661/621 SAE Corrected.

You have ported heads and cams, I have neither. You should easily exceed 650 RWHP with that setup on pump gas. If not, find a new tuner or something is wrong with the setup.

Prodigy SVT

Established Member
Either one you choose will have the same power potential. I would go with the KB 2.8 Mammoth or the Whipple 3.4 or 2.9 because you will have alot of room to grow in the future plus make big power with your current combo.

As cheezy as it may sound - go with the one you think looks the best. Also consider the KB has a sweet sounding blower whine when you get on it. Some may like that sound and some may not, I personally like it. Plus the KB has a Billet Aluminum case rather than the cast aluminum case that Whipple uses. Not to big a deal but I think Billet is just a higher quality material.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Does the 3.4 whipple require you to modify the hood? That thing looks huge! What supporting mods do you need to do a 3.4 set up on a stock motor? Same as the 2.3?

The center support brace on the underside of the hood has to be clearanced no matter what as it interferes with the front of the compressor housing. A dremel and 10 minutes and you're done. You can also run a K-member spacer kit which will allow you to run the blower and larger diameter upper pulleys without having to trim the hood.

Hope that helps.

Jared

Users who are viewing this thread