Whipple 3.0 too much for 91 Octane?

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
About to make the switch from my Gen2 2.3 Whipple stock pulley to a 3.00 pulley with stock lower crank, from the Whipple site it should make around 17lbs but I'm kind of worried that it will be too much for our crappy 91 octane tune?

Anyone running the same setup without any issues?

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
I believe you could but timing would have to be taken out. I have the 3.25 on mine and have seen 15psi without any pinging @ 16 degrees.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
keep in mind it could potentially make about 18lbs

..mine does on cooler days

i wouldnt run 17-18lbs on 91 ... and 18lbs is the highest i would go on 93

if you do use it .. id def keep the timing low

jimbob8915

Established Member
I am running a 3" on a Gen 1 Whipple on 91 octane. Seems to run fine but I know my tuner did have to back some timing out. He did suggest to me that I install methanol injection so he could add timing to get another 25-30 hp.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Sup bro,
All you'll be doing by that is reducing the safety tolerance in pop'ing your motor.

At that point you're - 1. watered down fill up or 1. cool night away from a rebuild.
In SoCal you shouldn't run more than 15 / 16 lbs on 91 octane.

Take 10 minutes to load a race tune, pulley swap, add in some race gas and you can run 22 lbs! :burnout:

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Sup bro,
All you'll be doing by that is reducing the safety tolerance in pop'ing your motor.

At that point you're - 1. watered down fill up or 1. cool night away from a rebuild.
In SoCal you shouldn't run more than 15 / 16 lbs on 91 octane.

Take 10 minutes to load a race tune, pulley swap, add in some race gas and you can run 22 lbs! :burnout:

Sup man! Z looks good, but I think I might just order a 3.25 and stay there for now until I get a race tune.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
My point was u can run more timing with lower boost. Everyone is way too conservative these days. I know he's looking for a tune for 91 octane but I was just saying... Tough crowd in here.

SlowSVT

Established Member
17 lbs is kinda push"n it on 91 octane and is close to the edge of detonation. You could be just 1 tank of bad gas away from blowing your engine. 16 lbs and a conservative tune would be a safe bet.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
My point was u can run more timing with lower boost. Everyone is way too conservative these days. I know he's looking for a tune for 91 octane but I was just saying... Tough crowd in here.
I've been through (3) terminator motors in SoCal under 91 octane.. . :nonono:

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
No worries - it was such a great / painful learning experience.. Also, gave me a chance to come back: better, faster, stronger..

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Like I said when I was PM'ing you. I run 17.8ish psi on a warm day on 91 with no pinging, nothing. Runs like a champ. But I am not sure what my timing is though.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Like I said when I was PM'ing you. I run 17.8ish psi on a warm day on 91 with no pinging, nothing. Runs like a champ. But I am not sure what my timing is though.

Yeah,

Thanks for the help guys, I ordered a 3.25 because I dont want to risk anything on 17-18 lbs of boost. Spoke with other people and they mentioned that as well.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I guess there is no *Challenge Accepted* here. Pussy!!!

Haha just messing around man, you'll be plenty satisfied with the 3.25 for a couple weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread