Whipple 2.9 tune question

V8DER

04 Teminator
Established Member
When i first got my whipple 2.9 on and tuned. Car made 570 on 17#s of boost. timing was 18*.(11.8 AFR) We did a race tune for it for 100 octane 23* of timing car put down 620/541.(11.8 AFR) Numbers are a little low for most 2.9's but we are at 2600ft elevation here in Vegas.

I put a 3.25 pulley on it last week and went and had it retuned. Car made 589 on 91 octane 18* timing 19.89# of boost. (11.7 AFR). I had too much 91 in the tank to do a 100 octane run. So he took my old 100 octane tune spark table and made a new 100 tune for me. He told me i can bring it back to check it on 100 if i want but should be fine. Hoping the car should be in the 640-650 range.

Question is: is 23* of timing on 100 octane running almost 20#'s of still a decently safe tune?

Car really comes alive when u throw more timing to it, so i would like to just use the race tune all the time being we have 100 at the pump here in Vegas and i don't drive the car all the time. I just don't want it to be a time bomb either tho. lol

appreciate the help thx.

This is what my car has for fuel system:
Twin GT pumps
Fore hat
Wire upgrade
80 pound injectors
Dual FPDM's
Fore Rails
Stock feed line.
(duty cycle on the pumps when i dyno'd it was 88%)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well your fpdc is in a good spot! I'd think your good, and damn race fuel at the pump thats awsome!

Fender34

Established Member
I think you'll be fine man. If that was 91 or 93 with that much timing then that would be a bomb right there.

Blueline

Established Member
Man Im so jealous you have 100 at the pump. But it does sound like you will be ok with the 100 octane on your race tune. Your tuner ultimately should be the one to tell you, if he said it was safe then you should feel comfortable with him.

Last edited:

V8DER

04 Teminator
Established Member
100 at the pump is definitely awesome. its $6.50 a gallon, which is not that bad considering the convenience of it. :burnout:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
100 at the pump is definitely awesome. its $6.50 a gallon, which is not that bad considering the convenience of it. :burnout:

Heck yeah! For the little I drive mine, I'd opt for the race fuel no doubt!

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
With 23* of timing, 20# you are running on the ragged edge IMO. Will you car run amazing for a while? Probably....Maybe but IMO you're on borrowed time. Definitley not a "longevity" tune. If you're looking for another 30-45rwhp, increase airflow by adding a mild cam.

Last edited:

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
Im going with a 2.9 and would be disappointed with those numbers on 91 octane too bro. What intake are you running and also, are you running a catless x?

I'd hope my car would make at least 610whp on 91 octane with 20lbs of boost on the stock motor.

Last edited:

V8DER

04 Teminator
Established Member
Im going with a 2.9 and would be disappointed with those numbers on 91 octane too bro. What intake are you running and also, are you running a catless x?

I'd hope my car would make at least 610whp on 91 octane with 20lbs of boost.

I am running a JLT carbon fiber CAI. Car has Bassani stainless Catted X. Elevation is the factor that is hurting me here :nonono:

Last edited:

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
The jealousy is strong with this one... lol wish I could roll up and pump race gas into my damn car

tarheeltrooper

900 H.P. Club
Established Member
23 degrees of timing on 100 octane... that's living on the edge imo. But if the a/f looks good and your tuner feels everything is fine and dandy then I suppose you are ok? I am on e85 which is roughly 104-106 octane and I'm only at 22 degrees of timing. Obviously e85 loves timing and we could have thrown more to it possibly 2 more degrees, but we were so happy with everything at 22 degrees we just left it there.

Last edited:

V8DER

04 Teminator
Established Member
talked to my tuner yesterday and told him i was thinking about running the 100 tune all of the time and wanted his thoughts on safety. He said that if i wanted to use it all the time that he might make some changes so its not running on the edge.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I would change out that stock feed line to a -8. You can buy all the parts for around $300.

I have been told it will lower pump duty about 10%

You have lots of good fuel upgrades but that stock feed line is killing it. It's now the weakest link in the fuel system.

-8 line will be twice the size of the oem 5/16" plus you can route it in a way that there will be virtually no sharp bends. Look at this piece of -8 next to a small section of the OEM line. There are worse bends in the stock line that what's shown but it will give you an idea:

IMAG1004.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread