Whipple 2.9 sealing issues?

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
I have heard from some sources that the Whipple 2.9 SOMETIMES has sealing issues, where it meets the plenum. Most notably, that it can be prone to warping where the aluminum of the supercharger meets the intake plenum. This creates vaccum leaks and the need to use a decent amount of RTV to get it to seal properly.

My question to all of you 2.9 owners.. What is your real life experience with this? Please, Im only interested in real life experience.

Also, in general, were you able to install the kit, without issue? Did you have to use RTV?

Thanks everyone!! :beer:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You have to use RTV on the base of the whipple. There is a great install thread with tons of pics here. Check the How-To section or maybe someone can post a link for you.

mullens

Established Member
RTV is used on a Whipple because the bolt recesses that hold the SC to the plate intersect with the intake manifold gasket. It has nothing to do with warpage issues. I have never heard of one leaking if the RTV is applied properly.

Last edited:

2kmelat

Established Member
RTV is used on a Whipple because the bolt recesses that hold the SC to the plate intersect with the intake manifold gasket. It has nothing to do with warpage issues. I have never heard of one leaking if the RTV is applied properly.

There were a few in the beginning

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I do not believe it because the plate that mounts to the top of the intake is thick on a Whipple. Kenne Bell uses an adapter plate and it is thin especially past the inlet. If they do not have problems there is no way Whipple could be having problems. I didn't use RTV anywhere there were rubber seals. Only a light coat of oil.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
There were a few in the beginning

I heard the same thing. So was there a design change at some point? Are they safe now? :shrug:

Its good to hear most of you are not having any issues with yours!:beer:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
well im about 8 months over the 700rwhp mark and no problems except for the tires not holding. go figure

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I heard the same thing. So was there a design change at some point? Are they safe now? :shrug:

Its good to hear most of you are not having any issues with yours!:beer:

Been "safe" for a long time. If they were not safe, you'd see the threads here and there would be a ton of activity. Don't read too much into a few isolated incidents early on.

Last edited:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Thanks guys.. When I had someone tell me about possible sealing isues, I just wanted to get some re-assurance from actual owners' experiences.

I am defiantely leaning towards the 2.9, because of the power potential, the efficiencey, the bang for the buck, and the the way it looks under the hood!
Just wanted to make sure the relaibility was there as well.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread