Whipple 2.9 question regarding supp. mods

Moreboost88

Established Member
Do you have to have a Whipple 160mm Monoblade Throttle Body(or Cobra JetTB)and

the whipple cold air intake with MAF, if you are only going for 650rwhp? I

currently have the JLT intake, and getting 72lbs injectors, do I really need

the throttle body and whipple intake? I called a local performance shop and

they said its not necessary unless you want to achieve more the 650 rwhp.

Just checking to see what your guys imputs are

Thanks

Last edited:

sfadchi

Established Member
The throttle body is going to become a real restriction at that power level. You don't have to have the Whipple CAI, but I would consider at T/B pretty soon.

mullens

Established Member
I'd go with the L&M TB for it's drivability. The Monoblade has nothing on the L&M performance-wise.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Is the "van down by the river" in California? The CARB approval sticker makes a difference if you're in Cali, the only way you can do it here, and all the 2.9 Whipple packages come CARB approved.

I'm getting ready for a 2.9 as well and looking for 650whp, I'll be buying the SC and CAI package. safdchi convinced me on Whipple's CAI, it being large and able to run w/o a MAFia were the two reasons. Will you be upgrading your injectors? I'm considering Lethal's 72lbs. stock height injectors, still on the fence about them and might install the SC/CAI/Tune and see where the hp/tq falls; I also have a BBK throttle body that I'm going to try out.

Moreboost88

Established Member
The throttle body is going to become a real restriction at that power level. You don't have to have the Whipple CAI, but I would consider at T/B pretty soon.

Ok, i will more than likely get one, just undecided on what one to get

I'd go with the L&M TB for it's drivability. The Monoblade has nothing on the L&M performance-wise.

I'll look into that thanks!!

Is the "van down by the river" in California? The CARB approval sticker makes a difference if you're in Cali, the only way you can do it here, and all the 2.9 Whipple packages come CARB approved.

I'm getting ready for a 2.9 as well and looking for 650whp, I'll be buying the SC and CAI package. safdchi convinced me on Whipple's CAI, it being large and able to run w/o a MAFia were the two reasons. Will you be upgrading your injectors? I'm considering Lethal's 72lbs. stock height injectors, still on the fence about them and might install the SC/CAI/Tune and see where the hp/tq falls; I also have a BBK throttle body that I'm going to try out.

No, I don't have any CARB approvals in my state, yea i'm going to upgrade the injectors to 72 lbs. I think I might get the whipple CAI too due to the MAF, i am still unsure about the throttle body and which way to go. Thanks for you imput

Mikey org gt500

Established Member
I bought the 2.9 I have CJ TB that I'm gunna use 4 now. Also trying to keep my C&L CAI so bought a mafia,72's,and BAP for now. I only plan on running a 3.25 pulley for now with a stock 08 lower

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
just got my 2.9 tuned yesterday. LM TB, JLT CAI. i'm at 700hp. the maf was still ok. any more (lower or upper pulley) and i would need a Mafia or whipple CAI. hope this helps.

oh, and i put in the 72 lb injectors

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
just got my 2.9 tuned yesterday. LM TB, JLT CAI. i'm at 700hp. the maf was still ok. any more (lower or upper pulley) and i would need a Mafia or whipple CAI. hope this helps.

oh, and i put in the 72 lb injectors

What size pulley and how many PSI are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread