Whipple 2.9, but what else?

ARBOC1

Established Member
After reading posts about whipple vs vmp tvs i decided to go with the whipple 2.9 crusher. Both seem equally good. I am going with the whipple because i plan on doing the engine up a bit more within the next few years.
As the car sits right now I have done a JLT gen2 CAI, off road h pipe, Bassani Cat back, steeda pulley and tensioner

With the whipple install i know ill need a few more things.
I am ordinging the lethal performance 850hp fuel kit.
80lbs/hr injectors.

My question is this. What else should I order to support the blower?
focusing on needs first and then wants.

Thanks fellow Termi people

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Mafia or new MAF
Idlers
Clutch

That should all you NEED BUT when you do the clutch you SHOULD do
TOB retainer
26spline input
quadrant and firewall adjuster

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
Mafia or new MAF
Idlers
Clutch

That should all you NEED BUT when you do the clutch you SHOULD do
TOB retainer
26spline input
quadrant and firewall adjuster

agreed! and i'd consider a new HE (Fluidyne or LFP) to help keep those temps down.

you'll probably want to go fairly big with your clutch setup....twin disc due to the increase in power.

^^and i have a clutch quadrant for sale if interested!

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
buddy of mine and a member on here just got a 2.9 put on his car, his was bone stock with a midpipe/catback. He got the 2.9, accufab sbtb, jlt highboost, sct 2600, 60's, and a bap and he made 635 on 93 octane. He's still on stock clutch but I know that wont last long once the spring comes and he starts driving it.

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
buddy of mine and a member on here just got a 2.9 put on his car, his was bone stock with a midpipe/catback. He got the 2.9, accufab sbtb, jlt highboost, sct 2600, 60's, and a bap and he made 635 on 93 octane. He's still on stock clutch but I know that wont last long once the spring comes and he starts driving it.

What did he do to clear the stock rails?

S04T

Established Member
I just did the 2.9 Crusher on my 04. You will need:
80lb injectors
KB BAP
fuel rails (I went with Division X)
mass air meter

I have the stock clutch in the car right now but I have a McLeod RXT, 26 spline input shaft, girdled rear end cover, subframe connectors and Maximum Motorsports aluminum bushings all waiting to go in the car. I just got it back from the tuner and it made 668hp and 567tq at 17lbs. As a side note, the Crusher inlet rubs ever so slightly on the hood so if that is going to be an issue you may want to consider the standard inlet.

Overall, the car runs great. I wish I would have just spent the extra money right from the get go for the return style fuel system as the car is going to get a 4lb lower, cams and E85 later this winter. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
:beer:

ARBOC1

Established Member
Sorry, forgot to add I have the Clutch Quad and adjuster already.

Great info guys. I appreciate the feedback

I think the lethal fuel kit comes with Div x fuel rails.

i usually stick with the Ford racing clutch but in this case I'm going to need something with more bite. I know a clutch is a personal preferance but what twin clutch would work best?

eaglesnick

Established Member
I would add headers along with the other items listed above. And why the 850hp fuel kit and not the 1,000hp fuel kit

Last edited:

eaglesnick

Established Member
I was just thinking out loud, because you said your plan is to build a motor and I'm not sure if the 850 hp kit refers to rwhp or crank hp. I know with my setup I'm at 850 at the crank and I'm only running 17psi on 93.

ARBOC1

Established Member
I appreciate your talking out loud.
I only have 91 gas where I'm from. It sucks but we live with it

matt87

Established Member
you are gonna be hitting that car with alot of power. i wonder still to this day why people go and add 100s of more hp without doing their IRS with a full ftbr kit! you have a vert? did you at least do some sub frame connectors? you will def need some driveline mods. having the blower off is a good time to do the head coolong mod if you havnt already.

eaglesnick

Established Member
you are gonna be hitting that car with alot of power. i wonder still to this day why people go and add 100s of more hp without doing their IRS with a full ftbr kit! you have a vert? did you at least do some sub frame connectors? you will def need some driveline mods. having the blower off is a good time to do the head coolong mod if you havnt already.

Excellent point, most have been responding to his actual question, but if you can't get the power to the ground everything else is useless. I read posts all the time about guys with less power than me that break the wheels loose at highway speeds. I have done the FTBR kit as well as the Stifflers entire kit and I can get on it pretty good and keep the back end planted.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Drag radials help a lot for traction. When I had the MT's it was night and day difference. Full boogie kit completely eliminated the hop in my vert.

eaglesnick

Established Member
Yes, it's very hard for me to say what exactly cured my hop and helped with my traction as I did the FTBR kit and replaced my GSD3 with NT05Rs at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread