whipple 2.9+93+boost???

03ct cobra

Established Member
Hey guys...just wondering what some of you r running for max psi on 93 octane gas on a street tune. I've seen most guys running 18-19 and I've seen others running 20 or even as high as 21...wich I think is a little high myself. Again I'm just looking for ideas as to what ur running for psi on pump 93..btw I'm running a 2.9 with manifolds .catted x and supporting mods.:beer:

03ct cobra

Established Member
Yeah I hope so too....its just that some guys seem to be running 20ish or so and having good results..again...I realize that ideally the sweet spot is 17-18ish but the fact that all of our cars respond a little differently also has to play a small role in how each of our individual cars respond to different levels of boost and timing. The way I see it...and maybe I'm wrong is that my car at 18psi won't do what ur car will do at 18psi. Again I'm just curious as to how other guys r running their cars and how they respond...thanx again guys.

cobra_mer

Established Member
i ran my 2.9 whipple when i first got it on the stock pulley (3.5") and stock lower, stock mani's high flow cats. It made 21lbs on 93 oct tune. It was sitting around 575hp. Ran that way for just over a year before adding LTs o/r x and a smaller pulley to bring it to 20 lbs now on a 100 oct tune. It didn't have any issues with the first setup (no premature dets). Try and get some LTs to bring down the boost a little if you are worried about it.

03ct cobra

Established Member
Thanx for that cobra merr.....ya I'm at 18 psi max and I don't see 18 till 5800rpms...anyway just something I've been tossing around as to turning it up a little u no.....of course I don't wanna be a part of the blown engine club...lol....just something I've been considering is all. I realize lts r gonna be a big benefit...its just that after spending what I already have on the 2.9 and fuel system and the other stuff that goes with it plus labor lts aren't really in my financial short term future.....just looking to maximize what I already have is all.....thanx guys.

cobra_mer

Established Member
You should be fine on your setup, until you have the fundage for the LTs. The tuners I've talked with about LTs say you wont see a significant hp increase until above 600+, and below that you may even see a hp drop, but what you gain is boost drop which helps with heat and engine stressors and you gain that nice LT sound! youtube cobramer92 if you want to hear my setup, BBK LT, BBK o/r X, magnaflow cat backs. Its still fairly quite at idle, you can notice the difference from stock mani to now. Where the biggest change happened is the drone around 2500 became more loud and throaty and when full boost wot it screams!

03ct cobra

Established Member
Thanx.....ya ...something I've been tossing around is turning up my boost a little for now anyways....until next summer...then ill do lts. Just like to see a little more outta what I got now uno...that is while being safe. I don't wanna push it till it pops just get a little more out of it.

03killersnake

Wh1ppl3d F3d
Established Member
With the stock pulley,Stock manifolds, and catted X I peaked at 21 psi on 93.Put headers dropped it down to 20 psi. According to whipple I'm pullied for only 17-18 psi. But I'm seeing 20 psi on 93, the car feels good runs great. I say if your tuner feels good about 20-21 psi on 93 you should be good if he seems not sure of it I wouldn't run that much. The shop I go to have ALOT of 03-04 cobras on 20-21 psi on 93 even 2.3 whipple guys as far as I know those guys are running strong still.

03ct cobra

Established Member
Wow ! Thanx for that 03 killersnake...appreciate the feedback. Well....looks like I got what I was looking for...I feel much better about turning up the boost a little now. Ya like I said before...some guys say anything over 19psi n ur on borrowed time....others have been running 20-21 forever and have great results and no probs. Think I'm gonna go in that direction for now and next summer will be the summer of the long tubes ....lol....thanx guys...btw id like to hear from more of u guys and see what ur results have been...thanx.

mach1033

Established Member
Once you get your car tuned then your tuner will let you know if you are on the edge or not. Every case is different.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a VMP TVS 2.3 at 19-20lbs at 17* on 93
Power with this combo is 651/614 with LTs.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
With the stock pulley,Stock manifolds, and catted X I peaked at 21 psi on 93.Put headers dropped it down to 20 psi. According to whipple I'm pullied for only 17-18 psi. But I'm seeing 20 psi on 93, the car feels good runs great. I say if your tuner feels good about 20-21 psi on 93 you should be good if he seems not sure of it I wouldn't run that much. The shop I go to have ALOT of 03-04 cobras on 20-21 psi on 93 even 2.3 whipple guys as far as I know those guys are running strong still.

This is why I will soon be retiring next to a gas station with 93 octane or e85I thought I was doing good on California 91 Octane

My next venture is to add LT's; and get me some 93 maybe 93 with a Torco tune.

Currently building the fund at a rapid pace for a new motor in case mine goes out

fwiw, 17#'s at peak, 91 tune stock manifolds @ around 625/550 on a motor with over 100K miles

TY for asking OP subbing:pop:

03ct cobra

Established Member
No prob....its looking like there's a few people who r curious as well......hopefully this threda gets a few more responses

nycarpenter

Established Member
18.5-19 psi on 3.50 pulley stock manifolds O/R X pipe straight thru mufflers. I run 19 spark at WOT after 5000 rpms. Torco at all times regardless of the tune. IMHO when pushing boost over 18 on pump 93 you are sort of in no mans land. JMHO but Torco 5 gallons for $260 shipped is cheap insurance.

Blueline

Established Member
18.5-19 psi on 3.50 pulley stock manifolds O/R X pipe straight thru mufflers. I run 19 spark at WOT after 5000 rpms. Torco at all times regardless of the tune. IMHO when pushing boost over 18 on pump 93 you are sort of in no mans land. JMHO but Torco 5 gallons for $260 shipped is cheap insurance.

This is exactly what my tuner told me. He said since I was making 18.8psi on 93, he strongly rec. Torco. He said you may never need it, but a bad tank of gas or something else unforseen, the Torco was cheap insurance.

gamebred26

Established Member
what kind of max timing is everyone running with the 19-20 psi on pump?

gamebred26

Established Member
This is exactly what my tuner told me. He said since I was making 18.8psi on 93, he strongly rec. Torco. He said you may never need it, but a bad tank of gas or something else unforseen, the Torco was cheap insurance.

does the plugs turning orange foul them with torco? or what? what is that on the plugs?

Users who are viewing this thread