Whipple 2.3 to Whipple 2.9

ITL Cobra

Established Member
Anyone go from a Whipple 2.3 to a 2.9?? I have been tossing around the idea of going from a 2.3 to a 2.9 and wanted to see if anyone has done it and regrets it, or if its really worth the cost, and what kind of numbers you put down with the 2.9.

I know I need to upgrade the fuel system and injectors but what else am I looking at?

Thanks

ITL Cobra

Established Member
What mods exactly do you have now?

Current Engine, Trans, and Exhaust Mods

Mechman 300 amp ALT.
SCT Tuner
Borla SS Cat back
Bassani 2003 Cobra Composite X-Pipe w/Cats
K&N CAI
LFP Dual Pass H/E
LFP Tank
SCT Tuner
Baer 6 Piston Brake Caliper
Whipple 03-04 Cobra W140ax Supercharger Kit (Black) 100mm TB "3.00"
BilletFlow Throtle Body
NGK TR6 Iridium Spark Plugs
Sieman Deka 03-04 Cobra 60lb. Injector
BilletFlow 4 Piece Idler Set
Steeda Oil Separator
Mafia
Spec 99-04 Cobra/Mach-1 Clutch Kit (Stage 3+) 26 Spline
Lethal Performance T-56 Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve
Liberty Gear 26 Spline Input Shaft for T-56
Liberty Gear Shim Kit for 26 Spline Input Shaft
Fidanza 96-04 Mustang Aluminum Flywheel (8 Bolt Crank)
Fiore 96-04 Micro-Click Firewall Adj. & Clutch Quadrant Kit
LDC Chicago Clutch Freeplay Correction Kit
MMFLSC
Even Flow GEN 2 Head Cooling Mod
KB Boost A Pump
KB Boost A Pump Wiring Upgrade

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
What does your car make now power wise? How much do you want to make? How much boost do you want to run and what fuel will you be running?

ITL Cobra

Established Member
What does your car make now power wise? How much do you want to make? How much boost do you want to run and what fuel will you be running?

Right now I am running 18lbs of boost making 621 at the wheels, running 93 octane. I would like to push that number closer to 700 at the wheels.. and maybe run 103 or higher octane.

I would really like to get it close to 700

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
Right now I am running 18lbs of boost making 621 at the wheels, running 93 octane.

Excellent. thats what i like to see with just injectors and a bap for a fuel system.

I thought you could break 700 with a 2.3 with e85 and a good tune. but im sure your fuel system would need to be upgraded. gt pumps,mod fpdm, etc etc, im new to this. but id say you would atleast need that

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
With E 85, 700 is possible without going into the motor. If you have access to it you can make the power without spending the money on the 2.9. Not sure if 103 octane will get you there though.

cobra187

"If you ain't first, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Established Member
Go E85, 21 psi, upgrade to lethals dual return setup with 465 LPH pumps, Bosch 105 lb injectors and you'll see that 700 mark for sure.

sean r

Established Member
I was wondering about doing the same thing but also would need fuel system upgrades and bigger injectors. Maybe try a 2 lb lower and a torco tune if you cant get e85. It wont be 700hp but pretty close for a hell of a lot less. To make the hp you want your gonna need more boost no matter what sc you run and you can go more with what you already have. Thats just my cheap way of thinking though lol. If your willing to run 103 put a 4 lb lower on and you should be real close.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread