Whipple 2.3 Spark Plug and Gap Question.

ITL Cobra

Established Member
Issue – Car is breaking up at high RPM under hard acceleration.

Back Story – Car has 3200 miles on it, had the Whipple installed in 09 (with 29xx miles) and running 18lbs of boost. Due to work and family obligations I haven’t had much of a chance to drive her that much, and never really got on her, really the hardest it was ever driven was on the dyno. Last week had the coil over kit installed, ran the tank down to almost nothing and put in some fresh gas, Cut to yesterday, got the car back, wanted to drive her around to blow the dust off her, drove it till I was back below a 1/4 tank, put in some fresh gas and was out screwing around a little not much, got on her a little after 2nd and when shifting to 3rd she kinda broke up, so I backed off right away. So taking the path of least resistance 1st I decided to look at getting new plugs. The plugs in there now are NGK TR6 Iridium Spark Plugs (not sure on condition or gap). In the Whipple Install manual it recommends Denso Iridium IT20 for boost levels 14-20, at factory gap setting.

Question what plugs, and what gap (Factory or .28 - .30) do you guys run with a Whipple 2.3 @ 18lbs of boost? Or am I on the wrong path for resolution?

Thanks

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
I am running TR6's gap is at .28 much over that and I was getting spark blow out I am at 19 psi. You may be getting spark blow out. Check gap on them now and see what it is. TR6's are fine for your application. BTW what color is your car?

ITL Cobra

Established Member
I am running TR6's gap is at .28 much over that and I was getting spark blow out I am at 19 psi. You may be getting spark blow out. Check gap on them now and see what it is. TR6's are fine for your application. BTW what color is your car?

Car is DSG

bb97gt

Established Member
I always ran Autolite 103's, however a lot of guys run the tr6's with great results, gap at that boost level should be .028. Almost sounds like a fueling issue, I'm assuming 60lb injectors? What pumps and FPDM are you running?

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
TR6 with .028 is what I run also on both whippled cars. No breakup problems at 18 psi.

What is your AF guage showing?

ITL Cobra

Established Member
At idle its right around 14.5, and I didnt have a chance to look at it when it happened....

Users who are viewing this thread