Whipple 2.3 +race fuel, what to expect from 100 shot ?

Avenger

Established Member
Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while as the car was away for winter but now that the nice weather is back, the car is out and I'm getting the urge to go faster yet again this year... Last year saw the installation of a set of ARH headers which brought the car down to 10.44 @ 135.6mph.

Basic mods are:

- Aluminator crate engine
- Whipple 2.3 w/ 3.0'' upper
- 4# lower
- Return style fuel system w/ 60# injectors
- Twin disk clutch w/ PST carbon fiber driveshaft
- Mostly stock IRS

That combo has proven pretty good and I don't want to spend a fortune on the car so I'd like to stick with the basic combo. There are a few options to consider when one wants to go faster

1) Get the car / driver on a diet. Already been through that process with the driver but it proves to be more difficult for the car itself. I feel that most of the serious weight reduction mods take away from the car and make it less enjoyable to drive.

2) Work on the suspension to get the thing out of the hole. In this case, you need to sacrifice road handling in order to get better launching. This is a daily driver and not a dedicated drag racing car so not really an option...

3) More power ! Thought about going for more boost but not really worth it. E85 is not availabe in Canada so that is also out. Bigger blower brings other issues so would like to avoid that.

4) 2013 Shelby. Don't go there !!

I'm basically left with nitrous. Even though I like the idea of getting the most out of a specific combo by working on weight / suspension, I keep coming back to that NANO kit. The plan would be to get rid of the 60lb/hr injectors for some 80#s (already have return style fuel system) and progressively tune my way up from the smallest jet to something like a 100shot.

I have no experience with nitrous and my friend who does had all kinds of issues "back in the day" and is basically telling me to stay away. I'm thinking it's because he had a cheap kit but would like to hear users feedback on that technology.

Most importantly, what can I expect at the track ? I'm hoping 9s @ 140+ are possible but don't see that many people running a combo like that so not sure what to expect...

Thoughts ??

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I looked into a nitrous system for mine and was told not to by my tuner. If you use a system that adds the nitrous into the intake before the blower, you end up with it not getting distributed to all the cylinders equally. Our intake track is very long and not designed to transfer fuel with the air. You will end up with some lean and some rich cylinders. I was told the right way is direct port ( 1 nozzle per cylinder drilled into the bottom of the intake port in the head). Problem is even the smallest version of that will require a motor built stronger than stock. This is just my 2 cents on what I researched and was told.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
I looked into a nitrous system for mine and was told not to by my tuner. If you use a system that adds the nitrous into the intake before the blower, you end up with it not getting distributed to all the cylinders equally. Our intake track is very long and not designed to transfer fuel with the air. You will end up with some lean and some rich cylinders. I was told the right way is direct port ( 1 nozzle per cylinder drilled into the bottom of the intake port in the head). Problem is even the smallest version of that will require a motor built stronger than stock. This is just my 2 cents on what I researched and was told.

That makes no sense to me... Spraying it BEFORE the blower would be the ideal way to ensure the N2O and fuel is distributed evenly (other than going to direct port)... Putting the nozzle AFTER the blower would cause this, but before it, all of the atomized fuel and N2O is getting spun around in the blower and sucked into the intake.. If it were "uneven", then you'd see the same thing with just the blower itself, where some cylinders would be packed with more air than others.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
The blower is only moving air and is under pressure. When you add fuel or another substance to the intake track before the ports in the head, the mixture will not be consistent. If the blower had 8 seperate outlets each going to an individual cylinder, then yes it would work. Our blowers do not discharge into the center of the lower intake through the after cooler. If you add nitrous, the blower will discharge the added gas unevenly into the lower intake that acts like a big plenum. All ports will see the same pressure (boost) but not the same mixture (amount of nitrous). Think of it this way, pour some food coloring in a pitcher of water. Only stir it one 360* circle, now pour it out. Is all the water the same color? No because it is not thoroughly mixed but it pours out at the same rate of flow. will nitrous work in the motor? Yes. How long will the motor last? Not very.

T800

Established Member
will nitrous work in the motor? Yes. How long will the motor last? Not very.

What makes you say this? Are you refering to the OP's specific setup?

I have run N2O on almost every one of my "hot-rods" and have never had ANY issues. I currently run a 125hp shot and again, no issues. And for the record, I go through A LOT of it. My car is a daily driver that has seen 10k+ miles this year already.

OP there are numerous owners here that run nitrous and have shared their setups. Use the search function and read though some threads from posters that acutally have it on their cars. Make sure you buy quality components, don't skimp on the tuner and you will find the success that we have all had.

The "nitrous will ruin your motor" speech has been around as long as nitrous itself.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Yes, that was meant for his specific setup. Nitrous is great stuff as long as it is done right. I have a 528cid ford big block that I built. It makes 646hp 636ftlb torque on pump gas plus a 250hp shot on top of that. This motor was specifically designed and built to drink nitrous all day long. OP, my take is it is a bad idea in your case. If you had a stronger motor built for the bottle, then I would say spray away. Just my input and best of luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread