Whipple 2.3 questions

SsnakeSVT03

Established Member
Currently, in the middle of putting together my Whipple 2.3 and supporting mods. The Whipple I have is either a Gen 1 or 2 Whipple 2.3 (not sure how to tell what gen it is).

Here is what I have pieced together so far:
· Whipple 2.3
· 3.0” Upper Pulley w/Stock Lower
· LFP Big Mouth Single Blade Throttle Body
· Larger sweeping elbow on the Whipple
· Siemens Deka 60lb Injectors
· Kenne Bell Boost A Pump (BAP)
· LFP Even Flow Head Cooling Mod
· NGK TR6 Sparkplugs
· SCT 2600 or 3000 BA MAF (not sure which I will go with?)
·RAI or High Boost Intake (haven’t decided on the one yet?)
· Factory manifolds
· Bassani Off-road X pipe
· Borla Stingers Catback
· SCT Tuner
· JLT Oil Catch Cans (both sides)
·McLeod Clutch

So the questions I have are:

Would I need to upgrade the heat exchanger? Or will the stock heat exchanger hold up fine with this combination?

Also, do I really need to upgrade my fuel pumps since I have a BAP? I do not want to go return or really mess with the fuel pumps if I don’t have to. If I am swapping out the pumps I was thinking of running the DeatschWerks 340lph Compact Fuel Pumps (direct replacement of stockpumps).

I have searched online and been reading a lot of mixed information. Seems like many people have been fine without upgrading the heat exchanger and fuel pumps at this level. I don’t really plan on swapping for a larger blower down the road.

I will not be running crazy boost or aiming to make big numbers. Probably anywhere from 15-18 psi with a 3.0” upper and stock lower on 93 pump gas.

My main goal with this car is reliability and keeping the motor healthy. This car will be a weekend cruiser. I do not plan on taking it to the track.

The car will be getting tuned professionally. Your input/advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Friend of mine is running a similar set up. He has GT pumps in a Fore hat, the high boost intake with a 3000 MAF. I think it's around 17psi ans 580-590rwhp.

I prefer upgrading pumps instead of a BAP. But that's personal preference. I like my RAI over his high boost because it's less of a hassle to get to the plugs. I would definitely upgrade the heat exchanger. It won't miraculously lower IAT's, but it should help with recovering after a pull.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I agree with upgrading pumps instead of the bap.. you gotta think these cars are pushing 20 years old. Its a simple swap and pretty inexpensive.

high boost vs RAI is all personal preference. I prefer the look of the RAI but have ran the high boost in the past.. zero difference in terms of performance for what I can tell. if any its minimal.

You could get away with keeping the stock HE for now but will be something to look into especially during summer months.. Again a realatively inexpensive part especially on the used market.

btw, I think the gen 1 vs gen 2 is easily identified by if it has a sight glass.. but i think some of the late gen 1s had it too... but none the less...very little performance difference between the two.

SsnakeSVT03

Established Member
Friend of mine is running a similar set up. He has GT pumps in a Fore hat, the high boost intake with a 3000 MAF. I think it's around 17psi ans 580-590rwhp.

I prefer upgrading pumps instead of a BAP. But that's personal preference. I like my RAI over his high boost because it's less of a hassle to get to the plugs. I would definitely upgrade the heat exchanger. It won't miraculously lower IAT's, but it should help with recovering after a pull.

Will be doing the DW300 pumps, dual FPDM, RAI (as you mentioned easy access for plugs). I may hold off on the heat exchanger.

SsnakeSVT03

Established Member
I agree with upgrading pumps instead of the bap.. you gotta think these cars are pushing 20 years old. Its a simple swap and pretty inexpensive.

high boost vs RAI is all personal preference. I prefer the look of the RAI but have ran the high boost in the past.. zero difference in terms of performance for what I can tell. if any its minimal.

You could get away with keeping the stock HE for now but will be something to look into especially during summer months.. Again a realatively inexpensive part especially on the used market.

btw, I think the gen 1 vs gen 2 is easily identified by if it has a sight glass.. but i think some of the late gen 1s had it too... but none the less...very little performance difference between the two.

Fair enough. Pumps will be changed along with dual FPDM. I also like the look of the RAI. As I mentioned above, I may hold off on the heat exchanger.

My whipple does have the glass (circle shape glass). Would that identify as a Gen 2?

cj428mach

Established Member
Fair enough. Pumps will be changed along with dual FPDM. I also like the look of the RAI. As I mentioned above, I may hold off on the heat exchanger.

My whipple does have the glass (circle shape glass). Would that identify as a Gen 2?

Not really, they had kind of a Whipple gen 1.5 that had the glass. You can call whipple and they can probably tell you.

In my opinion if you're going to mess with the fuel system just go Fore Level 1 return. If you see the possibility of E85 in the future plan ahead now so you don't have to remove the blower. I've been there done that in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread