Whipple 2.3 Gen 1 or Gen 2 info.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I bought a polished Whipple 2.3 from a guy on here a few weeks ago. He told me he believed the Whipple was a Gen 2. Doesn't matter to me either way. I got a Gen 1 on my Lightning and it works fine. Anyway, I called Whipple to find out what Gen it was. That way I would know what pulleys to get. The guy told me the serial number is on top of the band that is between the gear cover and rotor housing on the front. Just my luck that my serial numbers have been polished off. he told me more than likely it was a Gen 1. But here is the info he gave me that might help the rest of you guys out.

Gen 1 serial number will start with a W3A xxxxx
Gen 2 serial number will start with a w140 xxxxx

I checked the number on the Whipple in my Lightning and it starts with a W3A.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Are the rotors green?

Yes my rotors are green and it does have a sight glass. I want 18-19lbs and it has a 3.00 pulley on it now. I'm gonna be running 93. I would be set if it was a Gen 2. But the guy at Whipple said it was "probably" a Gen 1.

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I would lean towards it being a Gen 1 as well because of the rotors. Regardless of whether it's a Gen. 1 or 2, it's still a great blower! :beer:

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I would lean towards it being a Gen 1 as well because of the rotors. Regardless of whether it's a Gen. 1 or 2, it's still a great blower! :beer:

I have no problem with it being a Gen 1. I was just trying to find out which Gen it was to know what pulley to run. Guess I'll try a RR 2.75 and see what it does.

gargstang

Established Member
Just as an additional FYI on the numbering system. I don't think all of the early kits had the W3A start to the numbers. Mine does not and when I asked Whipple they had no idea about it. Mine is simply stamped with 2600.

rthouck

Established Member
I have a Gen 1 with a sight glass and Whipple (Mike M.) suggested Eaton oil for it. Just an FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread