Whining/singing noise...

GokartMozart315

Established Member
took my car to get an oil change yesterday; i'm maybe 3700 miles so a little over, but everything sounded fine. i'd also checked the dipstick recently and seen pretty low oil, but figured i'd be getting the full change soon and don't drive it all that often.

the mechanics told me that the car was almost bone dry; pretty scary but then again no knocking sound, so no problem. they topped it up and sent me on my way.

start the car today, and i immediately hear this loud wailing sound. no other knocking or weird sounds, but this seemed kinda scary; quieted down mostly a few seconds after startup but i shut it down. whining was high-pitched and changed, almost like the whine in my diff when the pinion gear was grinding.

what might this be...?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Not sure of your mechanic skills but was it simply a belt slipping? High pitched squeal?

GokartMozart315

Established Member
Not sure of your mechanic skills but was it simply a belt slipping? High pitched squeal?

almost no mechanic skills to speak of...more wondering if i should be comfortable driving it to the mechanic on monday.

doesn't sound like belt slip (chirping), sounds almost like supercharger whine, kind of like the transmission whine in this video but definitely coming from under the hood:

99 Mustang GT transmission whine - YouTube

could it be something in the internals or should i breathe a little easier over the weekend?

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
almost no mechanic skills to speak of...more wondering if i should be comfortable driving it to the mechanic on monday.

doesn't sound like belt slip (chirping), sounds almost like supercharger whine, kind of like the transmission whine in this video but definitely coming from under the hood:

99 Mustang GT transmission whine - YouTube

could it be something in the internals or should i breathe a little easier over the weekend?

Not sure from video...is it a driveline issue? Seems to worsen with acceleration and lessen when RPM drop.

I don't think it is a wheel bearing as I believe bearings and tires continue to sound the same based on speed not RPM's.

Rear Diff?...sort of sounds like something bound up or grinding.

Tough to tell...maybe others will post with thoughts?

GokartMozart315

Established Member
Not sure from video...is it a driveline issue? Seems to worsen with acceleration and lessen when RPM drop.

I don't think it is a wheel bearing as I believe bearings and tires continue to sound the same based on speed not RPM's.

Rear Diff?...sort of sounds like something bound up or grinding.

Tough to tell...maybe others will post with thoughts?

eh reading comprehension: sounds like the video but is not the video, same sound coming from my motor even when manual transmission is in neutral.

i'll check the power steering fluid too, though doesn't it only make noise when turning?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
eh reading comprehension: sounds like the video but is not the video, same sound coming from my motor even when manual transmission is in neutral.

i'll check the power steering fluid too, though doesn't it only make noise when turning?

Did you just reading comprehension me?

Your post said "this" video. never said it was definately someone else's video and I missed the title saying 99 when you clearly have an 01...

So sounds exactly the same but since I stated may have been rear diff my statements have no credability?

If I had a $1 for everytime someone said where a sound was coming from, when, in fact, the sound came from somewhere else I could by a few mods for my car.

eh logic failure and pedantic posters...good luck figuring your problem out

Last edited:

GokartMozart315

Established Member
Did you just reading comprehension me?

Your post said "this" video. never said it was definately someone else's video and I missed the title saying 99 when you clearly have an 01...

So sounds exactly the same but since I called it your video my statements have no creditbity?

eh logic failure and pedantic posters...good luck figuring your problem out

sorry man didn't mean to be rude/snarky, just saying that it was the same sound but for sure not coming from rear end.

def under hood and at idle/cold start, no driveline/wheels. must be engine issue, trying to figure out what...

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Suggestions:
1. When it's making the sound, turn the steering wheel. If the sound changes, it may be the PS pump like slo suggested.
2. Take your serpentine belt off and restart it. If the sound is gone, it could be the water pump like sleepermobile suggested, or one of the other driven items. Note: you may already know but just in case I'll say that removing the serpentine is for diagnostics only. You shouldn't run it that way for extended periods.

Users who are viewing this thread