Whining noise at around 70km/h (44MPH) in 5 and 6 gear.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
I installed the resonator delete a couple of days ago and I've started to notice a whining noise coming from the backend of the car. The sound generally occurs when I am sticking at about 1000-1600 RPM and only when the Boost/Vac Gauge reads between 10-16 inHG of Vac or if I let the clutch out and coast from 70-60km/h. It only occurs in 5 and 6th gear though.

I thought it might be resonation but I took of the resonator delete an put the original intake on and it was still there. Though it seemed a little bit less, I could be imagining that though.

Anyone got any ideas what this noise could be? It's on top of the existing exhaust drone but is only really pronounced if I'm on the throttle holding the current speed or if using cruise control.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
I installed the resonator delete a couple of days ago and I've started to notice a whining noise coming from the backend of the car. The sound generally occurs when I am sticking at about 1000-1600 RPM and only when the Boost/Vac Gauge reads between 10-16 inHG of Vac or if I let the clutch out and coast from 70-60km/h. It only occurs in 5 and 6th gear though.

I thought it might be resonation but I took of the resonator delete an put the original intake on and it was still there. Though it seemed a little bit less, I could be imagining that though.

Anyone got any ideas what this noise could be? It's on top of the existing exhaust drone but is only really pronounced if I'm on the throttle holding the current speed or if using cruise control.

We have cruise control? Didn't notice it. Sorry, I don't know?:shrug: Take it in I guess. BTW I don't let the rpm's fall below 1600 rpm's in any gear. I know I wait until over 60-65 mph before I put it in 6th. 1500 or below rpm's "feels" to me, It doesn't like it. Not that you said you do, I just remembered I don't.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
I don't let it fall below 1000 because the car starts to resonate like crazy. It's a different sound though, the one I'm hearing, than when the car isn't going fast enough to be over 1000 and the car starts to vibrate.

Last edited:

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
having quite a few with rear gear noise. Mine is going in next week for it's second set of gears. I'm going to ask for a new rear end.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
I don't let it fall below 1000 because the car starts to resonate like crazy. It's a different sound though, the one I'm hearing, than when the car isn't going fast enough to be over 1000 and the car starts to vibrate.

:dw: you are driving in gear @1000 rpms?:idea:please go out and warm car up to operating temp. Find a nearby deserted road. With car in 1st gear at around 30 m.p.h. smash the accelerator pedal to the floor, at 6,500 rpms quickly shift into 2nd gear when you've reached 6,500 rpms in that gear switch to 3rd gear until you've reached 6,500 rpm, then switch to 4th gear and let off accelerator pedal. You need to re-seat all the bearings that have taken "a tremendous low rpm load" If the noise is still there after that...I'd take it in. I'd leave the 1000 rpm in gear out of the conversation tho.

Disclaimer...I in no way condone such actions on public roads, nor take any responsibility for any damages which may incur from above statement.

LeKiD

Established Member
Anything lower than 1500 rpm in those higher gear will do a growing sound when accelerate at low or mid load.

This only can be worst if the tranny need a rebuild and too much backlash adjustment. But in any case there is no damage that can occurs when you ear the whining

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Anything lower than 1500 rpm in those higher gear will do a growing sound when accelerate at low or mid load.

This only can be worst if the tranny need a rebuild and too much backlash adjustment. But in any case there is no damage that can occurs when you ear the whining

Okay so the whining is a symptom of being a too high of a gear at too low of a speed/load? or serious transmission damage? I didn't really understand what you were saying….

Last edited:

cgouzoulis

SNARFSNARF
Established Member
I have been having this issue as well....have 3800 miles. been doin it since about 1500-2000mi. I dont notice any vibration but i chalked it up to noisy 3.31 gears.... Are people gettin these replaced?

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Yeah mine doesn't vibrate but the clutch has started slipping a bit in the higher gears on the highway. If I go to speed up a bit in 5th going about 110 then sometimes it will rev to an insane rpm out of the blue.

gkviper192

Established Member
Yeah mine doesn't vibrate but the clutch has started slipping a bit in the higher gears on the highway. If I go to speed up a bit in 5th going about 110 then sometimes it will rev to an insane rpm out of the blue.

I'd get that looked at immediately.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
I'd get that looked at immediately.

Yeah, it started today so I'm just a bit pissed off. That might be a bit of an understatement though. I wish the dealer was open tomorrow but they aren't.....

I don't drive it hard and I'm smooth with letting off the clutch so this is a freaking mystery to me. :(

gkviper192

Established Member
You're not the first to report slipping or smelling clutch already which worries me a little

mullens

Established Member
Yeah, it started today so I'm just a bit pissed off. That might be a bit of an understatement though. I wish the dealer was open tomorrow but they aren't.....

I don't drive it hard and I'm smooth with letting off the clutch so this is a freaking mystery to me. :(

That is very troubling. My 2010 has the same HP and the clutch is rock solid at 25k miles. The '13 clutch is bigger and stronger so it doesn't make sense. Hope its not a design flaw al la 07-09.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
So I phoned my dad because I needed someone to talk to and he told me "Stop driving the car like a race car, you shift it at 3000 RPM and this isn't a BMW that can handle abuse" and blah blah Porsche, Audi, American cars suck....

For the record I shift at about 2000-2500 RPM I'm not freaking shifting at 6000 RPM at every chance I get. I'm f***ing furious right now.....

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Just take it into the dealer- it could be a simple adjustment-or it could need a clutch. Take it in monday- 1st year cars have warranties for a reason

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
Out of curiosity what does burnt clutch smell like, I just want to be sure that's what I think it is.

Burning asbestos - same as burning brakes, it is a unique smell. Kinda hard to describe in an online post, but you can duplicate it by driving a while with the parking break on - but I would not try it unless you have an old POS vehicle sitting around that you don't mind setting fire to.

Users who are viewing this thread