Whiloe waiting on the gt350 a hellcat is falling from the sky

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
While waiting on the gt350 a hellcat is falling from the sky

I am grateful for a dealer that builds long term relationships. He called me for his first GT350 allocation at MSRP and asked if I wanted it, and of course I said yes.

Then he called me last week and asked if I wanted a Challenger Hellcat that just got built for better than MSRP.

Hard to turn that down, so it will be fun to see if the Hellcat is faster than my 13-6 modded 14 gt500.

Taking bets, what do you think? I think the gt500 will be faster, but not by much......Steve

Update: The Hellcat will not touch the modded GT500 but seems faster than when my GT500 was stock

Last edited:

TaraFirma

Established Member
Faster or not, I think the GT500 is a better car. I would choose it over a hellcat any day, and I have a chance to buy a hellcat under MSRP but I'm not interested.

Para81

Established Member
They could sell the Hellcat for 40k and I wouldn't touch it. To me it's almost as bad as buying a 700hp SUV.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
There really is no reason to hate. Makes me wonder where that comes from. I did not ask anyone here to get a Hellcat. I love all cars and have no bias.

I was asking for speculation on how fast it might be compared to a modded 14 GT500.

At least I will actually get to know for sure. If the car is not to my liking by actually seeing it and driving it, I will not get it.

But I would not reject it out of hand "just because" or ignorance..........Steve

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Is the Hellcat auto or manual? Seems stock for stock the auto has a slight advantage and the manual will lose compared to a stock GT500. Since you have a 13-6 kit, I fully expect your GT500 to walk away from both the auto or manual Hellcat.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Is the Hellcat auto or manual? Seems stock for stock the auto has a slight advantage and the manual will lose compared to a stock GT500. Since you have a 13-6 kit, I fully expect your GT500 to walk away from both the auto or manual Hellcat.

The Challenger will be a manual transmission and I forgot that I swapped out gears to 3.73s. So the GT500 is a real handful and I need to be very respectful of how quickly she will loose traction in the first 3 gears even at a brisk part-throttle push much less matting it........Steve

KBBoss302

Established Member
If you have the option of getting one, why not try it out?

I have a lot of miles in a 2013 Charger SRT8 and it was one of the most fun daily driver-type cars I have ever driven. More fun than a stock E55 Mercedes, that's for sure. The Hellcat must be just hilarious!

I think both a Hellcat and a modded GT500 will be a battle of controlling wheelspin at 80+.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Slight? More like major advantage. Tires alone both manual and auto hellcat have achieved 10's. There is no record of any GT500 doing that.

The auto hellcat just like an auto c7z is a force to be reckoned with. Next GT500 will for sure have an auto.

If anyone wants an auto GT500, there is one for sale in the GT500 market section.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
13-6 kit should be somewhere close to 700whp and a stock Hellcat will be just short of 600whp and 200-300lbs more. The GT500 will walk away pretty good............................

Randy M

Established Member
I had a a '12 Challenger SRT8 for a short while. It was a fun car while I had it but the novelty wore off quickly. I found the car to be too big and heavy. It handles well for what it is but you can't get away from its size in the twisties.

At some angles I love the way the Challenger looks, in others it looks kinda fat. Build wise the Mustang is a better built car. There are no mysterious roof dents from the factory on the Mustang. the panel gaps are better and the sheet metal doesn't feel as thin. The size fits my preferences better as well. I never used the back seat of the Challenger nor the large trunk.

I think Dodge could have done better with the tire and wheel size but they chose the cheap route with 275's. 707 hp and 275 size tires is definitely not the ideal setup. I have to think that they chose that size so as not to break something in the driveline while at the strip.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I had a a '12 Challenger SRT8 for a short while. It was a fun car while I had it but the novelty wore off quickly. I found the car to be too big and heavy. It handles well for what it is but you can't get away from its size in the twisties.

At some angles I love the way the Challenger looks, in others it looks kinda fat. Build wise the Mustang is a better built car. There are no mysterious roof dents from the factory on the Mustang. the panel gaps are better and the sheet metal doesn't feel as thin. The size fits my preferences better as well. I never used the back seat of the Challenger nor the large trunk.

I think Dodge could have done better with the tire and wheel size but they chose the cheap route with 275's. 707 hp and 275 size tires is definitely not the ideal setup. I have to think that they chose that size so as not to break something in the driveline while at the strip.

This guy did two sub 11 sec runs on DRs and nothing broke so not too bad for stock and tires.......Steve Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P229EBmtOQQ

DJSCIASCIA

Established Member
There really is no reason to hate. Makes me wonder where that comes from. I did not ask anyone here to get a Hellcat. I love all cars and have no bias.

I was asking for speculation on how fast it might be compared to a modded 14 GT500.

At least I will actually get to know for sure. If the car is not to my liking by actually seeing it and driving it, I will not get it.

But I would not reject it out of hand "just because" or ignorance..........Steve

No hate here. I would love to get a hellcat charger though more then a challenger.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
What is a 13-6 kit and why is it called "13-6?"

Van at Revan Racing will hook you up, highly recommended: http://www.revanracing.com/products/revan-racing-stage-13-6-for-2013-2014-gt500s-plastic-hydro-carbon-finish-throttle-body-tune-and-tuner.html

Product Description

The Perfect starting point for your new 2013- 2014 GT500!

JLT Plastic HYDRO CARBON Big Air Intake
Ford Racing Cobra Jet Throttle Body
SCT Tune and Lund Racing Tune

Stage 13-6! The addition of the Plastic Big Air Intake and tune will net approximately 75-100 Rear Wheel Horsepower over stock!

Last edited:

Randy M

Established Member
A large part of my disappointment with the Hellcat Challenger is that Mopar missed an opportunity to compete directly with Ford and Chevy. I wanted a well rounded car like a Mustang sized 'Cuda. I guess that will never happen...:rolleyes:

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
A large part of my disappointment with the Hellcat Challenger is that Mopar missed an opportunity to compete directly with Ford and Chevy. I wanted a well rounded car like a Mustang sized 'Cuda. I guess that will never happen...:rolleyes:

I think the form factor makes that very hard to do. I liken it more to the Cadillac CTS-V I had, a great ride and a monster when you hit the gas.......Steve

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Id get out of the way....those bastards are heavy.

My dealer has 2 shaker scat packs. So I got to drive them and even though they are heavy, they drive rather well and even the brakes work!!!! Of course the hellcat is not a race car in any way, its just a big very fast tank that happens to be comfortable and different.......Steve

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I was able to see a black hellcat yesterday at a show, and I must I am not impressed at all...it is a very big car and honestly looks no different than a regular challenger...but op i am sure you will enjoy it

Users who are viewing this thread