Which year to buy?

03cobrashadow

Established Member
I recently sold my '03 DSG Cobra (hope I made the right decision) and plan on purchasing a GT500. I initially thought of buying a 2011 or 2012; however as I have been searching, I have found many '07's through '09's with low mileage and reasonably priced.

Considering the '07's through '09's models are priced from 34K to 38K (some a little higher), would they be a better deal, and then putting another 10k to 15k worth of mods to improve performance. Or is the newer GT500's that much better and worth the higher cost of purchase.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
You could get an 07-09 for low 30s. It depends on what your wants are? Early model years will be the cheapest route and will be stupid fast with a blower swap. The 10+ are different in terms of appearance. 11/12 have the aluminum block. Or wait for the newest monster getting ready to come out the 13.

03cobrashadow

Established Member
I'm going to look hard and long before I buy. I am really into modification of any ride that I have. There are so many performance parts available to basically customize your GT500 to whatever level you want.

Buying a new one has it advantages as well. Latest design, performance, etc. I guess it just come down to just how much money I want to spend and where.

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
I'm going to look hard and long before I buy. I am really into modification of any ride that I have. There are so many performance parts available to basically customize your GT500 to whatever level you want.

Buying a new one has it advantages as well. Latest design, performance, etc. I guess it just come down to just how much money I want to spend and where.

my opinion--if you are going to mod it extensively, get an earlier model...

Van@RevanRacing

my opinion--if you are going to mod it extensively, get an earlier model...

There are modded 07-09 GT500's out there. Heck, Jon Lund is selling his GT500 and it's got a Kenne Bell 2.8. One of the original Kenne Bell 2.8's. That car has low miles, plenty of mods and is for sale in the low-mid 40's. It's in the for sale section.

At least with that car you'd know its tuned right! LOL

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
I would get an 11 or 12 if you can afford it, if not get a modded 07-09 with less than 20K miles or so

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
The main difference is which body style you like. The only thing I'm particular about is that I want a car that I know what's been done to it. I wouldn't be that into buying someone else's modded car. If it's been modded you know it's been driven to its limits many times...

ponyboy96

Established Member
Everyone always overlook the 10s. There is little to no performance difference between a 10 and the 11-12s. As I've said before, I've never lost to an 11+ while both were stock or with the same mods. I have smoked 07-09s that had pulley, tune and other mods when I was stock.

If the price is right, don't count out a 10. You can probably get as good a deal on one as you can an 09.

whiplash920

Established Member
Everyone always overlook the 10s. There is little to no performance difference between a 10 and the 11-12s. As I've said before, I've never lost to an 11+ while both were stock or with the same mods. I have smoked 07-09s that had pulley, tune and other mods when I was stock.

If the price is right, don't count out a 10. You can probably get as good a deal on one as you can an 09.

couldnt agree more. i test drove an 11' - bought the 10'. i couldnt tell the 10 hp difference (who could) and honestly, only very little difference in handling (for the non-svtpp) - despite the 100 or so lbs off the nose. so i bought the 10' b/c of the price difference (if they were the same price i of course would've gotten the 11') - about $7000 cheaper for me - btw it was a leftover 10' with 43 miles on it.

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
As for buying the 2013 not only will you pay the big bucks but with a new motor be waiting around for tuners to catch up etc. Buy a cheap stock 09 with low miles and take advantage of all the testing done by the guys here. A streetable low 10 sec car is easy now, if you don't mind the rear end get a 10.

Grey03

Established Member

+1million!!

I think the 10's are the best of all. Stout iron block with knock sensors, updated looks and interior, lower price. What's not to like? Not that I'm biased;-)

03cobrashadow

Established Member
Everyone has a valid point as to which model year to buy.

As I stated, I am into modification to personalize my own ride and with this in mind, I will buy only a new or older completely stock GT500. While just looking to see what is out there in the '07 through '09 model years, I have found some with less than 1K on them up to 20K+ in the price range of $34K to $38K or so. To me, these seem to be a great deal to get into a GT500 relatively inexpensively, and still have funds to modify.

As for new, 2012 or even a 2013, I could spend the $55K+ to buy one; however the wife would have a problem with me spending anymore money modifying a brand new car. Not that I haven't done this before though, just hate the grief when I do.

I guess what I am wanting to find out is, are the newer models better than the older models even with mods. I do like the styling changes beginning with the 2010's and up.

Last edited:

bull3441

Established Member
what people are forgetting to tell you is the 10+ have the 2nd gear issue. find a nice 07-09 that has had the TSB done on the clutch and you're gtg. there are +/- to the different body designs. you can buy an 07-09 and mod the balls out of it and still be under 4 wise what a used 10+ will cost stock. if you really wanna do it right buy a Boss and slap a Vortech on it.

Last edited:

ponyboy96

Established Member
I think the grind is more prevelant in the 11 and ups. I've grinded a few times in my 10, but once I got used to it, no problems. It's more of a timing thing.

bull3441

Established Member
I think the grind is more prevelant in the 11 and ups. I've grinded a few times in my 10, but once I got used to it, no problems. It's more of a timing thing.
every 10 owner i know(2 different clubs) has the problem, plus every 10 my dealership sold has the problem. but i do read 10 owners posting not having the issue. i like the 10+ style more myself.

SVTeveN

SVT
Established Member
I would easily get an 11 or 12. For all the upgrades alone. I have yet to have a 1 - 2 shift grind in my 12. With the 102lbs off the front end, the car feels much more confident in the twistys. I have driven my brother in laws 2010 through some twistys and the turn in was definitly not as confident inspiring and had a slight understeer.
The value of the 11/12 will be also better in the long run.

BlueEyedSnake

Banned
At the end of the day it comes down to how deep your pockets are. I was about to buy a new 2012, but came across a sweet deal on 2011. I saved a lot of money by buying the 2011 and now I will be able to mod out my car easily. I agree that you have to pick the style you like and how much you want to pay. Remember, your the one making the payment on the loan and driving the car. I knew I wanted the new body style and just waited until I found the one I wanted. Whatever your choice I'm sure you'll love it. I know I asked myself on the way home from the dealership,"why didn't I buy this car sooner."

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Everyone has a valid point as to which model year to buy.

As I stated, I am into modification to personalize my own ride and with this in mind, I will buy only a new or older completely stock GT500. While just looking to see what is out there in the '07 through '09 model years, I have found some with less than 1K on them up to 20K+ in the price range of $34K to $38K or so. To me, these seem to be a great deal to get into a GT500 relatively inexpensively, and still have funds to modify.

As for new, 2012 or even a 2013, I could spend the $55K+ to buy one; however the wife would have a problem with me spending anymore money modifying a brand new car. Not that I haven't done this before though, just hate the grief when I do.

I guess what I am wanting to find out is, are the newer models better than the older models even with mods. I do like the styling changes beginning with the 2010's and up.

A modded 09 is going to be just as good as a modded 11. The 10+ cars will make a little more power with their knock sensors that allows for more aggressive tuning. With a blower swap in a 700+ hp car your not going to notice a 10-20 hp difference anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread