Which Turbo Set-Up

bdp55

Established Member
I recently purchased a 2003 Cobra that has a 5.4L built motor, stock 03 cobra heads and cams, and a sullivan upper and lower intake. My question is I'm now looking for a turbo set up. Is there a particular set-up that others have had experience with? Does someone make a set-up that works with the sullivan intake or is it custom? The motor was built to handle 1500 hp, but I'm only looking to make 550-600 and maybe 750 at the track.

Any help or advice would be great.

Digital

Established Member
I'm very to curious why you have a 5.4l n/a cobra with 1500hp holding power but want to make almost a 1/3rd that. Can you elaborate?

bdp55

Established Member
I'm very to curious why you have a 5.4l n/a cobra with 1500hp holding power but want to make almost a 1/3rd that. Can you elaborate?

Eventually I will use the full potential of the motor, but as of now, I still want the car to be fairly streetable and I don't want to change to an auto trans yet. So for a street tune I'm not looking to be driving around with 1000hp. However, I wanted to potential to be there a few years down the road.

Digital

Established Member
Eventually I will use the full potential of the motor, but as of now, I still want the car to be fairly streetable and I don't want to change to an auto trans yet. So for a street tune I'm not looking to be driving around with 1000hp. However, I wanted to potential to be there a few years down the road.
Well.. See here is the problem. There really isn't going to be a kit that can do both. Your HP desires are so far off. You can't have a turbo system that will make 1500hp and then turn the boost down to 600. You'd need two really expensive 78s to touch that power. I'd not recommend trying to get them to run at 600hp. You'd have to have like a 2# waste gate spring lol.
I think you need to figure out what your goals are with your car and then research what is a realistic expectation.
I never understand people who think 1000hp is too much for the street. With progressive boost controllers and driving skills there is no reason you shouldn't be able to put the power down. Plenty of people using the 6 speed at high power and if your tuner is worth a crap he can tune it to run like stock on the street.

Last edited:

C666

Established Member
My idea would be start with some good fwd facing stainless headers to a T6
flange so for now you can run a 76 than later you can go to an 88 or 91.

I would go to Richard Brown at Mean Street Performance he is a great fabricator
at very fair prices he did this:

car.jpg

4.jpg

DSCN2371.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread