Which tires to go with Toyo Proxes r888?

idiliogomez

Young One
Established Member
I've finally made up my mind between the nitto555's and the toyo proxes... Ive read only good things about the proxes which is why im choosing them. Im putting 305/35/18 on 10" wide rims. Now the only issue is i don't know which tires to put in the front. I know i can put some 255/35/18 toyos in the front but they're just really expensive and i don't feel like paying much for front tires. I was thinking about the BFG's in the front (a decent amount cheaper than the toyos), but someone told me that the different tread patterns could cause alignment problems and that it would be much easier to just go with the same tire all the way around. Any opinions?

weaselp1

Established Member
I have proxy r888 in back and Michelin pilot super sports up front....no alignment issues here...drives just fine takes corners awesome!

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Good news is you chose correctly on the tire brand.
there is no comparison between the nitto 555 and R888....here's an analogy. It's like comparing a high school football team to an NFL team

As for the fronts, different tread pattern's aren't going to cause alignment issues...who ever told you that is just so so so wrong. I personally like to match brands, but to each thier own.
A good tire that I loooked at putting in the front were the Toyo Proxes T1 sports --- i ended though with R888's at all 4 corners.

Also, please don't put a 255 on the front, way to small of a tire....it will be stretched on a 9.5 wheel, look bad and could cause some cornering issues. Go with the correct size, 275/35

good luck

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I just don't get the hype with the r888 . Big wheel hop, no traction in first and struggle for traction in 2nd with a 500whp car . I switched to Mickey et street II and will never go back .

RED03SVT

Established Member
I just picked up r888's. I wanted to match the fronts with toyo's as well. I really wanted to go with the t1s but I'm not sure if the make them in 275 or 265 anymore. I found a set on eBay but production date was 2011. I ended up picked up the proxes 4 plus. I went with 275/35.

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
As far as alignment issues,always keep matched tires on the same axle,matched front ,matched rears,u dont have to match front to rear.I have been a tech for 20 years.

I have the 305/r888 on the rear with 275 kdw on the front.Looks good,rides nice,hadles great

I've finally made up my mind between the nitto555's and the toyo proxes... Ive read only good things about the proxes which is why im choosing them. Im putting 305/35/18 on 10" wide rims. Now the only issue is i don't know which tires to put in the front. I know i can put some 255/35/18 toyos in the front but they're just really expensive and i don't feel like paying much for front tires. I was thinking about the BFG's in the front (a decent amount cheaper than the toyos), but someone told me that the different tread patterns could cause alignment problems and that it would be much easier to just go with the same tire all the way around. Any opinions?

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
FTB kit plus adjustable konis and well over 700whp and my r888 will still hook up second on concrete with 12k miles on them with plenty to go'
On mediocre pavement when she is slipping,it is still pulling like hell,front end raised,ass end squatted and tracks straight as an arrow, with absolutely zero wheel hop.

If you are wheel hoping then you have factory bushings that are flexing causing the rear suspension to "oscillate"
Be careful,wheel hop will destroy axles to pumpkin.Get the rubber bushings out of there and put a braced diff. cover on it.

I just don't get the hype with the r888 . Big wheel hop, no traction in first and struggle for traction in 2nd with a 500whp car . I switched to Mickey et street II and will never go back .

Last edited:

idiliogomez

Young One
Established Member
That's another thing... I love my IRS, and wouldn't trade for no solid rear ... I just can't wait to get to the point where I no longer have to worry about wheel hop

Dreday1

Established Member
I have a set of CCW Classics on my 04 Vert and want too run the R888 on the rear in a 335/30/18 so bad!

snakeraper11b

Established Member
R888's on all 4 corners here. 275/35 18 on a 9.5 and 305/35 18 on an 11. The tire is completely flush with the wheel, maybe 1mm of bulge to either side.
I have the FTBR full rear package and MM coilovers. Spins the tires so smoothly sometimes it feels the clutch is slipping haha. Not sure what the wheel hop guy way up top is talking about. Certainly not the case.

Dreday1

Established Member
I think im just going too go with the Toyo R888 in a 315/30/18 in the rear too be on the safe side

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
FTB kit plus adjustable konis and well over 700whp and my r888 will still hook up second on concrete with 12k miles on them with plenty to go'
On mediocre pavement when she is slipping,it is still pulling like hell,front end raised,ass end squatted and tracks straight as an arrow, with absolutely zero wheel hop.

If you are wheel hoping then you have factory bushings that are flexing causing the rear suspension to "oscillate"
Be careful,wheel hop will destroy axles to pumpkin.Get the rubber bushings out of there and put a braced diff. cover on it.

I agree with replacing the bushings and all that . I plan to rebuild my irs this winter . I am getting one of the ftbr kits . new gears , half shafts and cover but the r888's hopped like crazy and the mickeys don't even offer to hop at all with the stock irs minus the brace . They were a little better on hot days , So the heat definitely plays a roll . For around here with the cooler temps in the spring and fall the mickeys hook no matter what and smooth as can be , dead hook in 1st . So I guess the r888 is a good tire where its really hot all the time. I just wasn't a fan of mine at all .

Users who are viewing this thread