• Hoosier

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Mickey Thompson

Votes: 23 56.1%

• Total voters

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Hi, i'm buying new tires soon because my nitto drag radials suck and they are getting worn down..I've narrowed it down to either hoosier, BFG, or mickey thompson. I want something I can run on a 10" rim without any rubbing issues. My car goes to the track every once in a while but is mostly a street car I only take out on sunny days. Also, I want a tire that will last me a while.
I need your opinion on which tires to get.

Here are the tires i'm talking about.
BF Goodrich 82627
Hoosier 17342
Mickey Thompson 3785R

getblowd

FTMFW
Established Member
i run the hoosiers 335/35/17. just bought a new set about to get them mounted up. they hook. but dont last like the nittos..

03killacobra

Banned
i've had the bfg Dr's for awhile now and i love em, they hook pretty good and look real aggressive. I'm runnin 315's on a 10.5" wheel and the sidewall bulges just a tad.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Well if the BFGs hook good and last a while with your car i'm sure they will hook great and last a while on my car. But i'm getting the 295s cuz i'm scared the 315 will rub/bulge a lot.

Jroc

Established Member
Well if the BFGs hook good and last a while with your car i'm sure they will hook great and last a while on my car. But i'm getting the 295s cuz i'm scared the 315 will rub/bulge a lot.

I've seem some 295 BFG DR's mounted on 9" wheels, and they had a rediculious amount of bulge. They would probably look pretty good on 10.5. Maybe a little small. I would personally go with the 315's.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
The problem is, I still don't know what size my rear rims are. My 305 nitto drags bulge this much. I don't know if they are 10" or 10.5"

DSCF6113.jpg

Jroc

Established Member
The problem is, I still don't know what size my rear rims are. My 305 nitto drags bulge this much. I don't know if they are 10" or 10.5"

DSCF6113.jpg

Get a ruler or measuring tape and measure the width.

My bet is they're 10" wheels for 555R's to have a slit bulge like that.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
I can only measure the width of the tire and that wouldn't give me an accurate reading but I also thing they are 10". Will the 315 BFG drags fit the rims without any rubbing? I know they will bulge a bit.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Judging by the visible contact patch, you aren't even utilizing those 305s. Nittos are a skinnier brand, too. I'd go with 285, maybe 295 on those rims. A wider tire usually doesn't mean a larger contact patch. It actually yields the opposite once you reach the tipping point of wheel width.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member

DSCF6113.jpg

You're probably on 10" rear wheels as the 295s on my 10" rears sit flush and the 305s on yours have a slight bulge. Also, the most common size for the Saleen replicas is 10" for the rears. You might try getting under the car and pulling a tape measure on the inside of the wheel to confirm.

From what I've heard the Hoosiers and the M/T tires hook great, but don't last long if you use them like they were meant to be. That might be fine in your situation since it's a weekend street/strip car and longevity might not be an issue for you. The BFG DR hooks better than the Nitto 555R and they also don't last as long as the Nittos.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Thanks Blake. Once my nittos get all the way worn down i'll go with 295 BFGs. I think I might go to HRP this friday to see if I can beat a 12.2 with the nittos. Are you going?

Users who are viewing this thread