Which Supercharger and Why

backinastang

Established Member
Okay, Keeping the 2011 5.0 GT and going to S/C it. Gonna start with a 525-560 set up. Once I get bored with those power levels I'll bump to over 600 hp. The Edlebrock one looks good and the idea of paying $500 for a replacement warranty is kind of nice. They claim 559 hp for the set up that can be warrantied.

I notice a lot of Roush kits out their. No replacement warranty and lower numbers with the complete kit. Also it's not 50 friendly and I might be moving back to Cal.

Without extended warranty Edlebrock os $600 more. With it's $1,100 more and it needs to be installed by a dealership so that it can qualify for the warranty. I'm guess $750 plus to have it installled.

I could install either one myself so I need to consider that as well

What say you?

Which is easiest to install?

Will make more power?

Why does the Roush use 47lbs ing vs Edlebrocks 41lbs?

Which would be easier to increase boost?

Are and Roush 50 state friendly?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

JerryC

Established Member
Obviously I'm a VMP fan, having said that.

Look at the warranties carefully. Essentially what you'll see is no mods to the drivetrain or it is void. No surprise actually when you think about it, put slicks on a blown car and you are more liekly to break a trans, DS, or rear. For roush it has to be installed by a ASE certified mechanic to get a warranty, don't know about Edelbrock.

Edelbrock shows more HP than Roush, but the Roush goes faster at the track judging by the percentage of 10 second cars per blower. that's a non scientific study and I could be wrong. Out of the box neither of them is going to go 10's, you'll need a tuner and maybe a pulley to get you there.

CARB certification is huge if you are going back to CA. Roush told me that they were close back in September, give them a call.

On the install, there's no cutting of the timing cover for the Edelbrock. That would make it easier than the Roush. I paid to have my Roush installed, they said it took 12 hours, it was the first one they had done. I think Roush told me they do them in less than 6 hours, but they do a lot of them.

Hope that helps...

kingnut

Established Member

Look at the warranties carefully. Essentially what you'll see is no mods to the drivetrain or it is void. No surprise actually when you think about it, put slicks on a blown car and you are more liekly to break a trans, DS, or rear. For roush it has to be installed by a ASE certified mechanic to get a warranty, don't know about Edelbrock.

Edelbrock shows more HP than Roush, but the Roush goes faster at the track judging by the percentage of 10 second cars per blower. that's a non scientific study and I could be wrong. Out of the box neither of them is going to go 10's, you'll need a tuner and maybe a pulley to get you there.

CARB certification is huge if you are going back to CA. Roush told me that they were close back in September, give them a call.

On the install, there's no cutting of the timing cover for the Edelbrock. That would make it easier than the Roush. I paid to have my Roush installed, they said it took 12 hours, it was the first one they had done. I think Roush told me they do them in less than 6 hours, but they do a lot of them.

Hope that helps...

how much did the install run you?

JerryC

Established Member
Labor for the Blower and Aeroforce gauge, vent pod and Map sensor; $800.

Another $150 for dyno time, they woked with Justin to datalog and get the tune right. Justin's tune was good out of the box, if a little conservative (the way it should be). This was worth it to me to know that it was safe and what power it makes.

The install looks first rate, you can't tell that it didnt come that way from the factory. I could have done it cheaper, but I couldn't have done it better.

try03venom

Established Member

Hope that helps...
The edelbrock is totally a bolt in deal. I did mine in a parking lot by myself all except for lifting the blower and setting it on the engine. I missed the track season but I expect to see mid 10's in the spring

JerryC

Established Member
The edelbrock is totally a bolt in deal. I did mine in a parking lot by myself all except for lifting the blower and setting it on the engine. I missed the track season but I expect to see mid 10's in the spring

How long did it take you?

try03venom

Established Member
I worked at a snails pace and a couple of hrs a day so 8hrs is a good ball park.

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
here is a curiosity question. The TVS is a very quiet setup. Does it get louder with the addition of a gatorback belt and JLT CAI? I know the whipple 2.9 is pretty loud and awesome sounding lol, but someone had mentioned to me and i had never heard this before but the said the reason the TVS is so quiet is due to the efficiency of the blower while the whipple is loud because its not nearly as efficient. I dont buy that because the TVS is a different design than the whipple and the whipple is just louder due to it being a twin screw.

Edit: just saw JLTs video with his CAI and the blower is plenty loud enough for me! To bad my wife would murder me if i dropped my tax return on that setup!

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
Edelbrock makes great power but man is it ugly. Whipple for the whine but it cost alot more than roush for that whine.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I wish I could pull that one off. I would love to get it and secretly install it on my pops. We have a $100 bet for mustang week on who will win on drag night. He is ordering the vmp500 kit for his 08 427R. Would be fun to surprise his ass with a 10 sec pass lol

try03venom

Established Member
Edelbrock makes great power but man is it ugly. Whipple for the whine but it cost alot more than roush for that whine.

I love the Edelbrocks looks it blends right in with the rest of the engine looks factory and the fitment is like a stock piece.

Users who are viewing this thread