which STRUTS? strange, tokico or? street/strip

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
ok, well to start things off, i have a SRA swap done to my car, and tubular k member kit with coil overs.. As of now, the car has lakewoods front and rear, 70/30 struts, and 50/50 shocks.. needless to say i hate the struts.. at first they were ok, but now im looking to change them out.. i just swapped out my rear shocks to tokico(blue ones lol) they are much better!! but im wanting to know what most people run for a great Street/Strip strut shock combo? how are the strange 10 ways? or possibly the tokico illumina's? looking for first hand experience. any other brands im all ears.. thanks svt

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
I've been looking into some KYB agx's. They are very reasonably priced and adjustable.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Strange struts aren't made for the Cobra, sure they are listed but it's a generic size. I found out by installing them, driving around the block, removing, and selling. They rattle like bolts in a coffee can as the shaft is smaller than that of the OEM; therefore, it will rattle around in any Cobra spec. caster camber plate.

Tractionless1

Established Member
i have the correct CC plate to run them.. i have 2 diff sets.. so my options are endless to any brand..

What CC plate is that? My Steeda's didn't work with them and they are fine with stock struts and the Lakewood 70/30 I run now. I measured the Strange Strut shafts with a caliper to be smaller than both the OEM and Lakewoods.

mj42

UNDERDOG
Established Member
what k member are you using and what coil overs also. Im also wanting to know the1sam87as you since my sra swap rides like S*%^4.

have heard a few people also getting torque arms and panhard bar.

BUMP

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
What CC plate is that? My Steeda's didn't work with them and they are fine with stock struts and the Lakewood 70/30 I run now. I measured the Strange Strut shafts with a caliper to be smaller than both the OEM and Lakewoods.

well 1 set is the MM set. which was used with the stock bilstein struts.. then i also have the UPR shark cc plates..

from what you are saying, that the strut tube that goes thru cc plates? the strange has a smaller (thinner) tube? sounds like you didnt have the correct (strut/CC plate spacers.) Mine came with several diff size spacers, and i have some that will fit perfectly around the strange strut, then fit into the CC plates.. On the upr cc plates, the spacers actually slides into the Hole on the CC plates, which would solve the rattle problem you had.. just my .02c..

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
what k member are you using and what coil overs also. Im also wanting to know the1sam87as you since my sra swap rides like S*%^4.

have heard a few people also getting torque arms and panhard bar.

BUMP

i have the UPR tubular K member kit in my car, also have the UPR adjustable rear control arms.. since i switched out the lakewoods for tokico's out back. the car rides WAY better!!! as far as Torque Arm and pan hard bar, thats totally personal pref.. i have a buddy running the TA/panhard bar setup with the correct TA rear springs.. his car rides fine, idk if its any better then stock 4 link when it comes to RIDE quality.. I have A MM panhard bar kit, that i removed from my car when i changed up the rear suspension..

Stanger00

Established Member
I run a UPR K-member with UPR coil overs and tokico illumina 5 way adjustable drag struts with 200lb 14" springs. My dash rattles a lot along with noises from my center console when I hit lane bumps. It makes my car feel like it isnt solid and its pretty annoying. I do get a hard knock when I hit small pot holes in the road. My first coil-over set up so my experience is pretty limited. I think I may get a stiffer front spring to see if that helps out any. I thought a 200lb spring would be good enough but since I ditched the iron block I think I should of just got the 250lb. My front end is a lot lighter than a Terminator as well since I run a 2 valve and aluminator short block. My rear end is just tokico mach 1 shocks MM LCA's and steeda adjustable UCA's. I have my rear pinion angle set at -3*. Even with this the car just kills the tires once the vortech builds boost.

Tractionless1

Established Member
well 1 set is the MM set. which was used with the stock bilstein struts.. then i also have the UPR shark cc plates..

from what you are saying, that the strut tube that goes thru cc plates? the strange has a smaller (thinner) tube? sounds like you didnt have the correct (strut/CC plate spacers.) Mine came with several diff size spacers, and i have some that will fit perfectly around the strange strut, then fit into the CC plates.. On the upr cc plates, the spacers actually slides into the Hole on the CC plates, which would solve the rattle problem you had.. just my .02c..

Yes the strut tube that goes thru the CC plates is smaller than OEM. What strut/CC plate spacers? The Stranges which I ordered specifically for the Cobra didn't come with any spacers. The Steeda CC plates which I have the receipt for came on the car; therefore, I didn't have spacers for them.

My findings still hold true that the Strange struts aren't specd. for a std. Cobra CC plate hole (including OEM) as spacers, which some of us have and some of use apparently don't, are required for install. Additionally, Strange doesn't inform the user that spacers are needed for a Cobra install. There's a ton of owners out there that bought Cobras with CC plates already in them. I'm sure most of us didn't get the bag of spacers from the previous owner and might not have known they even exist, as in my case.

Zacharyx

Established Member
it is not just the cobra's that the Strange struts rattle in, maybe we should call UPR and get a part # for this shim

RocMach1

Established Member
Have strange as well in my Mach with MM CC plates and the suspension rattles like no ones business. Makes the car feel sloppy and as if I forgot to install bolts...

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
Yes the strut tube that goes thru the CC plates is smaller than OEM. What strut/CC plate spacers? The Stranges which I ordered specifically for the Cobra didn't come with any spacers. The Steeda CC plates which I have the receipt for came on the car; therefore, I didn't have spacers for them.

My findings still hold true that the Strange struts aren't specd. for a std. Cobra CC plate hole (including OEM) as spacers, which some of us have and some of use apparently don't, are required for install. Additionally, Strange doesn't inform the user that spacers are needed for a Cobra install. There's a ton of owners out there that bought Cobras with CC plates already in them. I'm sure most of us didn't get the bag of spacers from the previous owner and might not have known they even exist, as in my case.

totally understand what your saying.. when i get ready to tear my struts and stuff off, i will take some pics and upload them to show the "spacers" im referring too..

as far as strange, they dont seem to say anything about the strut installation or anything.. there are many people around my area running them, and no rattles or any noise coming from the struts/shocks.. havent installed mine to see..

mj42

UNDERDOG
Established Member
i am still trying to look and figure out what would be the best suspension set up so i dont have that rattle and also the hard knock...

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
looks like you can see the shim/spacer in this pic
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-37354654005614_2222_181829459

thank you very much for posting that.. thats exactly what i have!! i installed the struts late friday night, but forgot about the pics.. all i can say is WOW, how much better they are with my coil over setup!! my car rides like it used to.. no noises at all, and it takes the bumps like a stock one would!

Zacharyx

Established Member
I think I am gonna end up with drop spindles so I can gain some suspension travel

Tractionless1

Established Member
Glad there is something out there to help everyone out with the rattle. Strange and/or the biz. selling their product should let the end user know the sleeve is needed for certain platforms.

mj42

UNDERDOG
Established Member
so what shocks, struts and springs did you get to go with C/C plates you got did you end up going. And when you said it rides the same as stock were you refering to the stock IRS. Sorry if im having you repeat yourself im just really wanting to know what others have done to improve there SRA swap.

Thanks in advance.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
i am now running the stange 10 way struts up front with 14/175 springs with my coilover setup! Upr shark CC plates, upr tubular k kit up front, UPR adjustable control arms out back, with eibach drag springs, and tokico shocks.. my car rides very damn good compared to the lakewood shock/strut combo.. my car still handles great, and is decently smooth going over bumps/ shitty roads.. No complaints at all, i will be switching to stock GT sra spings, and the strange 10 way shocks out back.. might also put the weight jacker lower control arms out back. still undecided..

Users who are viewing this thread